ADVERTISEMENT

Beaver licking Post-mortem

BleedCrimsonandGray

Hall Of Fame
Oct 2, 2007
Where to start... how about the easy stuff.

Defense is about the same. I expected that they would be a little more stout against the run, but run or pass OSU imposed their will on the Cougs. The only thing that prevented them from scoring more was a couple of long and undproductive drives from the Cougs and their own mistakes. LB play was well below what we've come to expect from this fast, exciting defense.

Offense. Can you give someone an F-? Is there a grade lower than that? Lets break it down by position group:
QB: I'm going back to my suggestion that CW should have been given a Prius for his NIL instead of a $75k truck. I won't go on about specifics, because we all saw it and its the same, if not worse, than its ever been. Grade - F

WR: The drops from seemingly nowhere. Not just one player, the entire team/ unit. Something is going on, but I'll get to that later... Grade - F

RB: So, Jenkins seems to be making headway and inexplicably disappears at halftime. Not only that, down 7 going into the second half Morris completely abandons the run game, except in the most predictable situations. Grade - Incomplete

OL: Too many times this year we've seen 4 get home against 5. This unit is not good as a unit, though there are some good individual plays at times. Someone mentioned a Beav DL got home against a double team, almost effortlessly. I saw one play where the RT gave the kid a shove and then basically stepped aside. I have no idea what is going on here, but its not conducive to winning football games. Grade - D

Coaching - Morris is out of his depth. McGuire doesn't seem to be getting these guys on the same page, and their individual skills are poor at best. Don't know who the WR coach is, but this unit has been sub-par as a group all year. LB's before this game have been good, as had the DL. CJD: either your coaching it or allowing it to happen. Overall coaching grade - D+

Everything I addressed above has to deal with X's and O's, but there is another issue I want to address and that's the energy level we saw yesterday. Did anyone else have deja vu of an early CML "zombie" team? I was joking asking if the team had rode the buss all day Saturday and just arrived at the stadium right before the game. The body language, the hustle, the grit - all gone. Which begs the question:

Is there a locker room issue? Bell is out, and it wouldn't surprise me if he was the emotional leader on the offensive side, so that might explain a little bit of it. But, are the players turning on either CW or CJD? Or Morris? You can't convince me that something isn't going on behind the scenes - you don't just go from what we saw the previous 5 games to the complete shitshow we saw last night. I mean, that was BAD, like Doba rolling out the 5-2 then the 6-2 then the God-knows-what bad. Like, CPW ending 2 qb's careers in one game bad.

Whatever the case, I hope CJD has the stones to do what needs to be done and/ or do a little addition by subtraction.

Also bad like 38-0 in the second half twice bad…
Obviously a stinker and most great teams are going to have a stinker once a year. We are basically at Dickerts first full year and that was probably his first real Stinker (Idaho probably counts too). If offensively this doesn’t improve my guess is we will see some swift changes, Dickert doesn’t seem to be a guy who will allow mediocrity to fester, he will cut his losses and move on offensively.
I didn’t watch the game last night but one thing I’ll say is this team plays HARD. USC with the refs against them they went balls to the wall for 60 minutes. That’s a reflection of the HC. We will be fine, it may very well be Morris is over his skis and if so it will get sorted out.

Reactions: kougkurt
Also bad like 38-0 in the second half twice bad…
Obviously a stinker and most great teams are going to have a stinker once a year. We are basically at Dickerts first full year and that was probably his first real Stinker (Idaho probably counts too). If offensively this doesn’t improve my guess is we will see some swift changes, Dickert doesn’t seem to be a guy who will allow mediocrity to fester, he will cut his losses and move on offensively.
I didn’t watch the game last night but one thing I’ll say is this team plays HARD. USC with the refs against them they went balls to the wall for 60 minutes. That’s a reflection of the HC. We will be fine, it may very well be Morris is over his skis and if so it will get sorted out.
We didn't play hard last night. Not sure what was up...but we didn't have any fire last night.

I think Jenkins is the only guy who didn't go to the club Friday night. Kid runs hard...everyone else played like they were hungover

There's always that outside receiver running an extremely slow go route who's never open , never creates separation and who never looks back for the ball because he's never going to get it. And the OC is never going to get that fact that they've alleviated a possible target on every play. OSU is being coached up and has turned their season around while WSU spirals.

Agree, they came out flat, not ready to play
I think that they just got punked out by Trent Bray and Brian Lindgren. Last year the entire coaching staff at OSU were recovering from bad hangovers, but this year.... 9 tfl against WSU and we had 3? Punked out in this one.

That opening kick off return put us back on our heels and we never seemed to fully recover from it. As mentioned above, our receivers were dropping balls like crazy and killing drives once it felt that we had started to sort things out defensively.

I will say that although I am not sold on Cam...it was very good to see Dickert stop him on the field at the end of the game and tell him some coach sh!t. He knows that we need Cam to be positive for us to have any shot at success this year. Agree with the Biggs from the other thread that we need a QB to transfer in that gives us a legitimate option when BAD CAM shows up. Ward needs to quit making things worse than they need to be.

Reactions: spongeandshoot
That opening kick off return put us back on our heels and we never seemed to fully recover from it. As mentioned above, our receivers were dropping balls like crazy and killing drives once it felt that we had started to sort things out defensively.

I will say that although I am not sold on Cam...it was very good to see Dickert stop him on the field at the end of the game and tell him some coach sh!t. He knows that we need Cam to be positive for us to have any shot at success this year. Agree with the Biggs from the other thread that we need a QB to transfer in that gives us a legitimate option when BAD CAM shows up. Ward needs to quit making things worse than they need to be.
This was always going to be the challenge with CW - what he was doing (all of the bad habits) before had brought him great success, similar to JDL (winding the throw up from his ass cheek, for example). So, will he listen to and accept coaching that goes against what he believes has been the winning formula for him, ie playground football? For his sake and the teams sake, I hope so.

Reactions: Flatlandcoug

I'm not sold in Cam either.

Wish w had Levy around to fix the dropped ball issues.

At this point, the Arizona game really scares me. DeLaura could really ruin our season w a loss to them heading into the Apple Cup

I agree with some of your assessments, and I share some of your criticisms, but I am sold on Cam. He's a gamer with a great feel for the pocket. He's also just a sophomore. One of the only good things with getting old is being able to draw on my 40 years of WSU fandom when comparing players, and I haven't seen many Sophomore QBs at WSU look as natural back there as Cam does.

Let's see how the season plays out. Our offensive line has been kicked in the teeth by every good team we've played this year, but we only face one more of those teams (Utah) for the remainder of the season, and even the mighty Utes have given up 1,500 yards in their past 3 games and 42 points in each of their last 2 games.

I agree with some of your assessments, and I share some of your criticisms, but I am sold on Cam. He's a gamer with a great feel for the pocket. He's also just a sophomore. One of the only good things with getting old is being able to draw on my 40 years of WSU fandom when comparing players, and I haven't seen many Sophomore QBs at WSU look as natural back there as Cam does.

Let's see how the season plays out. Our offensive line has been kicked in the teeth by every good team we've played this year, but we only face one more of those teams (Utah) for the remainder of the season, and even the mighty Utes have given up 1,500 yards in their past 3 games and 42 points in each of their last 2 games.
Fixed the bold one for you.

Cam does have a pretty good feel for when the pocket is collapsing (either that or he can count to 3 and knows that's the best our OL can do). The problem is what he does when it does collapse. He usually runs backward. Usually runs to his right and narrows the field. Usually keeps his eyes way downfield, so even if the receivers came back (and they usually don't), he wouldn't see them. And while we're talking about not seeing them...he loses sight of defenders when he's scrambling under pressure, and makes off balance, back foot throws right at the defense. I think just about all of his interceptions this season have been of the "what the hell was that?" variety.

A QB playing 5th grade flag football could be excused for running backward under pressure. A college sophomore shouldn't do that. Ever.

The kid has physical tools, there's no doubt. But he has not improved this season. Oregon State Cam Ward looks pretty much the same as Idaho Cam Ward. The reason for that is between his ears. He's either not adjusting or he's not absorbing. Either way, it suggests that he's reached his ceiling, and it's time to bring in another QB that can either give him some incentive or give us another option next time he runs out of bounds on 4th down.

Either way, it suggests that he's reached his ceiling, and it's time to bring in another QB that can either give him some incentive or give us another option next time he runs out of bounds on 4th down.
There should always be "other QBs" on the roster or in the pipeline, but your take on him "reaching his ceiling" in the middle of his sophomore year is ridiculous.

Reactions: NMBRCRNCHR
There should always be "other QBs" on the roster or in the pipeline, but your take on him "reaching his ceiling" in the middle of his sophomore year is ridiculous.
Is it?

We haven't seen any indication of improvement so far. Some kids hit their ceiling in flag football, some in high school. Some don't rise above NFL backup. Some play well at a small college and can't make the transition to a big one. Whether the obstacle is physical ability, mental ability/processing speed, or just plain stubborn refusal to do things different doesn't matter...they reach a point where they can't progress anymore. 7 games worth of results and watching him make the same mistakes suggest he might have reached that point. There's also the sense - at least partially supported by his stat lines - that he's gotten worse through our conference games. There could be an argument that it's quality of the defense (or poor quality play calling), but he's certainly nowhere near living up to the hype.

Reactions: justinbgocougs
Is it?

We haven't seen any indication of improvement so far. Some kids hit their ceiling in flag football, some in high school. Some don't rise above NFL backup. Some play well at a small college and can't make the transition to a big one. Whether the obstacle is physical ability, mental ability/processing speed, or just plain stubborn refusal to do things different doesn't matter...they reach a point where they can't progress anymore. 7 games worth of results and watching him make the same mistakes suggest he might have reached that point. There's also the sense - at least partially supported by his stat lines - that he's gotten worse through our conference games. There could be an argument that it's quality of the defense (or poor quality play calling), but he's certainly nowhere near living up to the hype.
Should have benched Gesser his sophomore year too. He obviously hit his ceiling about halfway through the season, if you go back and look at the box scores.

Is it?

POOR QUALITY PLAY CALLING

Should have benched Gesser his sophomore year too. He obviously hit his ceiling about halfway through the season, if you go back and look at the box scores.
Not even comparable. We were competitive that entire season, we were moving the ball and scoring points. We lost a handful of games by less than a TD, and Gesser was one of the bright spots.

Not the same this year. Maybe we don't have a better QB on the roster, but the one we're playing is still part of the problem. Our offense averages 22 points per game, which is Wulffian, and their output is decreasing every week. All season, they've been unable to stay on the field, which is what cost us the Oregon game. The offense left at halftime of the USC game, and didn't show up for OSU.

I'll point at 2 plays that are the difference: first, Gesser - I think it was against Idaho, he scrambles right, dives, and gets upended at the goal line trying to get another inch. Then, Ward on Saturday, running out of bounds on 4th down to avoid the hit.

Totally different levels of effort & commitment.

Reactions: justinbgocougs
ADVERTISEMENT