Hall Of Fame
Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
Mike Bianchi; Orlando Sentinel.

Linky: Suspend LSU column

His closing words do a pretty good job of summarizing:

LSU isn’t just morally bankrupt.

The program is ethically destitute.

The university and the SEC should be ashamed.

Sure, he is in another state, but he is one of the most widely read sports columnists within the SEC footprint. Might inspire some fan site commentary, at the least.

Mike Bianchi; Orlando Sentinel.

Linky: Suspend LSU column

His closing words do a pretty good job of summarizing:

LSU isn’t just morally bankrupt.

The program is ethically destitute.

The university and the SEC should be ashamed.

Sure, he is in another state, but he is one of the most widely read sports columnists within the SEC footprint. Might inspire some fan site commentary, at the least.
Get a coach who will "do it the right way".

The Missouri AD can provide a reference

This goes beyond "lack of institutional control," and lands in the territory of "knowingly and willfully." Any attorney will tell you that's a bad place to be.

Kansas AD Jeff Long - why'd he get fired? Is there some reason he would have known about the claims against Miles?

This goes beyond "lack of institutional control," and lands in the territory of "knowingly and willfully." Any attorney will tell you that's a bad place to be.

Kansas AD Jeff Long - why'd he get fired? Is there some reason he would have known about the claims against Miles?
Is this a serious question? In our current environment of scorched earth response to any allegation?

Is this a serious question? In our current environment of scorched earth response to any allegation?
I guess I was hoping there was more to it than that. If he got fired for not knowing something that he couldn’t have known, well...I hope KU ends up paying him.

On the other hand, if he was previously at LSU and knew about the problem, and then brought Miles to Kansas, he should definitely be shown the door.

A telling statement from the AD at LSU at the time to the then-University president Alexander:
"One more time I want us to think about which scenario is worse for LSU: Explaining why we let him go or explaining why we let him stay.” At the time Alexander chose to let him stay.

Another interesting tidbit that hits much closer to home:
"The board of trustees at Oregon State, where Alexander is now the school president, will meet Wednesday to discuss whether he should be suspended or even fired."

A telling statement from the AD at LSU at the time to the then-University president Alexander:
"One more time I want us to think about which scenario is worse for LSU: Explaining why we let him go or explaining why we let him stay.” At the time Alexander chose to let him stay.

"The board of trustees at Oregon State, where Alexander is now the school president, will meet Wednesday to discuss whether he should be suspended or even fired."
He's clear. Has to do a bunch of mea culpa stuff for 10 weeks, then he's back.

Let's say OSU has a break out season in some sport, then their coach does all the wrong things with a subordinate. Is Alexander going to say, "Let's just ride it out...it works out OK in the SEC"? Sounds like a pretty slippery slope.

Reactions: 79COUG

Well, he is resigning as of April 1st. Don't feel too bad for him, he is getting a years pay $600,000 as a severance.

Oregon State University President F. King Alexander resigns amid fallout from LSU scandal (msn.com)

He got half the severance of a 9-40 football coach did and has to pay state income tax on it.

Why didn't he get Jim Walden as his street agent?
Don't forget that he only took over eight months ago. Getting $600000 for not even working 3/4 of the year isn't bad at all.

He should've received $0 and his butt should've been kicked to the curb.

No soft landings for that guy.

Coug, I agree with you emotionally. But from a practical standpoint, it is LSU that should have kicked him to the curb without severance, and probably had a case to do that if they so chose. OSU probably does not have a case to do that, hence their choice to pay in order to make the problem go away. In hindsight, I have to wonder if his move to OSU was prompted in some part by the incident and his reputation behind closed doors at LSU?

He should've received $0 and his butt should've been kicked to the curb.

No soft landings for that guy.
The 9-40 coach who gave away his WSU gear or this guy?

How are they going to pay for their concept helmets and Sweet 16 tickets?

Coug, I agree with you emotionally. But from a practical standpoint, it is LSU that should have kicked him to the curb without severance, and probably had a case to do that if they so chose. OSU probably does not have a case to do that, hence their choice to pay in order to make the problem go away. In hindsight, I have to wonder if his move to OSU was prompted in some part by the incident and his reputation behind closed doors at LSU?

Paying to make it go away means they can move on quickly, but how there's no morality clause that voids anything is baffling. Don't disagree LSU should've done it first either.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT