ADVERTISEMENT

Braedyn Locke in the portal

Chucksizzle1

Varsity
Dec 17, 2022
Four star Texas HS 6a record holder, air raid qb. I’d love to see WSU offer him. Miss State is going to lose all of the good skill players that came into play for Leach. This kid is really good.

ping you were right, BRiles is going to scare off every qb leach has in his room, along with half the receivers. good opportunity here.

Last edited:
Reactions: PINGDUDE4
Would not be shocked if Sawyer Robertson is next and would not bet that recently signed Parsons is a lock to stay.

The new Head Coach seems to forget that most of these recent recent recruits that were just signed have personal relationship with the "Leach" coaches he is about to dismiss.

Another Coach that Dickert needs to look at is Hollingshead , he was a special asst. at WSU under Leach and recruited all of the 3 QB's signed the last two years. All 3 were 4-Stars.

And as I stated earlier Mason Miller has built a strong young O-Line that are all committed to play for him and as you stated every decent Receiver on that roster was identified and recruited by Spurrier.

When Leach passed I thought it might be a little bad for schools to start poaching his players, but if the newly minted Head Coaching genius wants to clean house then going after the player they recruited should be fair game.

Would not be shocked if Sawyer Robertson is next and would not bet that recently signed Parsons is a lock to stay.

The new Head Coach seems to forget that most of these recent recent recruits that were just signed have personal relationship with the "Leach" coaches he is about to dismiss.

Another Coach that Dickert needs to look at is Hollingshead , he was a special asst. at WSU under Leach and recruited all of the 3 QB's signed the last two years. All 3 were 4-Stars.

And as I stated earlier Mason Miller has built a strong young O-Line that are all committed to play for him and as you stated every decent Receiver on that roster was identified and recruited by Spurrier.

When Leach passed I thought it might be a little bad for schools to start poaching his players, but if the newly minted Head Coaching genius wants to clean house then going after the player they recruited should be fair game.
I see it happening. Miss State struggled to get any decent receivers or qb prior to Leach. Parson would get seriously injured trying to run a Briles offense, and he recently posted how he was coming there for Leach. There’s a back out of Katy Texas named Seth Davis who looks like Barry Sanders on film, would be hell on wheels catching passes out of the backfield. I hope he is smart enough to go elsewhere.

Dickert needs to hire Hollingshead, Spurrier, Mason Miller, Darcel. A lot more of these Leach recruits are going to be hitting the portal. Some very good players.

the arrogance with Arnett and the local media, fans is laughable. They may Win 7-8 games next year with Leachs veteran team and then the bottom falls out. i think the word is he’s firing everyone but Miller and that’s only if Briles approves of Miller. The o line Miller had recruited were going to be really good, none of those guys fit RPO.

coaching fraternity is a small tight knit unit, I suspect Arnett is not going to come out of this in a good way.

I hope someone from WSU monitors this board or they Are already on it.

Last edited:
I appreciate all the good info on what's going on at Mississippi State and I would be excited to nab a few of the players who could help WSU, maybe even a coach. But the suggestion of bringing in a major portion of Leach's staff would mean much of Dickert's remaining staff would have to be let go. I"m not sure I'm a big fan of Dickert cleaning his house after just putting it together a year ago and after the Cougs went to a bowl game. It would be kind of a crappy thing for him to do, IMO. At least need to have the OC and DC hires in place.

Glad Cougar

I’m just shooting the bull Glad, I’m sure Dickert doesn’t need my advice.

some programs are going to benefit from MSUs idiocy, it would be nice if it was WSU

Last edited:
I appreciate all the good info on what's going on at Mississippi State and I would be excited to nab a few of the players who could help WSU, maybe even a coach. But the suggestion of bringing in a major portion of Leach's staff would mean much of Dickert's remaining staff would have to be let go. I"m not sure I'm a big fan of Dickert cleaning his house after just putting it together a year ago and after the Cougs went to a bowl game. It would be kind of a crappy thing for him to do, IMO. At least need to have the OC and DC hires in place.

Glad Cougar

Exactly what part of the Offensive staff are you afraid of offending ?

Unless you have not followed WSU for very long all of the names mentioned spent as much or more time at WSU as any of the Offensive staff left behind by Morris. And all of that experience at WSU was recent and relevant.

If Dickert is looking at a very young OC who was an assistant coach at friggin Seminole Texas Highschool just 2 years ago he should be willing to look to at some coaches that were actually at WSU in 2018-2019. Side note only if you have ever actually been to Seminole would you appreciate how crazy of a hire that would be .

Unless you have not followed WSU for very long all of the names mentioned spent as much or more time at WSU as any of the Offensive staff left behind by Morris. And all of that experience at WSU was recent and relevant.

If Dickert is looking at a very young OC who was an assistant coach at friggin Seminole Texas Highschool just 2 years ago he should be willing to look to at some coaches that were actually at WSU in 2018-2019. Side note only if you have ever actually been to Seminole would you appreciate how crazy of a hire that would be .
I don't know how well Arbuckle will do here but I do know that some pretty highly respected (albeit retired) defensive coaches were asked to review the offenses of a few schools whose OC's were being considered. They were unanimous in their opinion that Arbuckle's system/playcalling was the one they would least like to have to defend. By the way, he is already on campus so we will get to find out if it's a crazy hire or not.

Locke followed Arbuckle on Twitter today. I hope Dickert gets his staff on it and follow him back and Locke him up. He's a really good qb w arm talent and accuracy. Mateer and Ward both run better than him, but he is a better pure passer. How many 5.9 recruits have we had over the years??

Locke followed Arbuckle on Twitter today. I hope Dickert gets his staff on it and follow him back and Locke him up. He's a really good qb w arm talent and accuracy. Mateer and Ward both run better than him, but he is a better pure passer. How many 5.9 recruits have we had over the years??

Ward needs to compete. Looks like another transfer OL is coming.

The offense could bring in 11 transfers and they all win jobs.

Reactions: froropmkr72

1. If the new OC (presumably Arbuckle) wants to hire new position coaches & they happen to be Leach guys, I'm okay with that.

2. I always wonder about bringing back guys who left Pullman in the first place. I recognize that Miller, McBath, and Spurrier all went with Leach, but CML was the only link they had to WSU. Would they consider a long term commitment to a program they had already moved on from?

3. I'm probably less concerned with "offending the offensive staff" than I am with Dickert's reputation as a head coach who shows no loyalty to the people he hired. After losing the OC and DC, I don't think sweeping out position coaches on the offensive side right now would be a very good look for Jake. And personally, I don't see enough reason to clean house. The Cougs did have a winning season, made it to a bowl game, and at least met my expectations for a decent season.

4. I have followed WSU for a long time....longer than most people on this board have been alive. (That was sure a fun season in '65 with Bert Clark and the Cardiac Kids.)

Honestly, I understand what you are saying...and you could be right. Those MSU coaches could be upgrades over Dickert's current staff. I'm just glad my boss gave me a second year to "hit my stride" in my job & career. I don't think one year would've been enough. There certainly were others out there that could have replaced me!

Glad Cougar

I don't know how well Arbuckle will do here but I do know that some pretty highly respected (albeit retired) defensive coaches were asked to review the offenses of a few schools whose OC's were being considered. They were unanimous in their opinion that Arbuckle's system/playcalling was the one they would least like to have to defend. By the way, he is already on campus so we will get to find out if it's a crazy hire or not.
That’s why so many transfers are in town this week

1. If the new OC (presumably Arbuckle) wants to hire new position coaches & they happen to be Leach guys, I'm okay with that.

2. I always wonder about bringing back guys who left Pullman in the first place. I recognize that Miller, McBath, and Spurrier all went with Leach, but CML was the only link they had to WSU. Would they consider a long term commitment to a program they had already moved on from?

3. I'm probably less concerned with "offending the offensive staff" than I am with Dickert's reputation as a head coach who shows no loyalty to the people he hired. After losing the OC and DC, I don't think sweeping out position coaches on the offensive side right now would be a very good look for Jake. And personally, I don't see enough reason to clean house. The Cougs did have a winning season, made it to a bowl game, and at least met my expectations for a decent season.

4. I have followed WSU for a long time....longer than most people on this board have been alive. (That was sure a fun season in '65 with Bert Clark and the Cardiac Kids.)

Honestly, I understand what you are saying...and you could be right. Those MSU coaches could be upgrades over Dickert's current staff. I'm just glad my boss gave me a second year to "hit my stride" in my job & career. I don't think one year would've been enough. There certainly were others out there that could have replaced me!

Glad Cougar

Points taken. I only made snide remark because you seemed to be questioning why we were having a MSU discussion here. And as you recognize it is because several recent ex-WSU coaches may soon be on the market.

I was only suggesting that they be looked at is because they would be additions that would add a larger recruiting footprint having now worked in the South for the last few years.

Sawyer Robertson just entered the portal Miss State four star qb out of texas

wsu needs to offer both Locke and Robertson. From what I have seen, Locke is the better player. imreally hope spurrier and some receivers join dickert staff along with one of these Texas four star qbs.

Glad Cougar

The O Line was TERRIBLE, BAD. DESPITE , going to a bowl game(OL and QB and OC were so bad combined, that if it had not been for the defense, WSU could have easily only won 1,2,3,4 games, instead of 7, and a bowl game).

Now some of that was on Rolo, and CLAY MC GUIRE inherited a TOUGH situation, but CLAY did NOT help the situation, and only made it worse.

And so because of that, Clay needs to be replaced by MSU Mason Miller OL coach if that is possible, doable, and if not, then some other coach, and if not that, then CLAY is on the FLAMING HOT SEAT.

And Clay leaving probably won't cause O Line to leave(As if WSU had any OL any other program would want).

And the WR Corp, which had some decent WR from the last 1,2 years in Bell, Victor, Stribbling(who did pretty good last year), etc, vastly UNDERPERFORMED, underachieved, did VERY BAD, because the WR coach probably did not do a good job.

the only possible reason to not replace that WR coach, is that Leyton Smith(one of the few, an or the only GOOD WR(him and Bell(Bell graduated), might leave, which might probably be a problem if he leaves since Bell graduated and Stribbling, and Ollie left(And part of the reason they left was the WR coach).

So WR coach on HOT SEAT, if not replaced.

Stop making excuses for the O Line coach, WR coach and OC MORRIS'S EXTREMELY BAD OFFENSE AND EXTREMELY BAD COACHING, LACK OF DEVELOPMENT, EXTREMELY BAD PLAY CALLING.

The college that hired Morris WERE MORONS, that didn't do their homework on, about Morris, and I am GLAD HE IS GONE.

You are being almost as homeristic about Clay the OL coach, and the WR coach and OC Morris, etc, as probably you and others were about WULF.

If Arbuckle or DICKERT replaces Clay or WR coach or both with Mason Miller, Spurrier from MSU, that will be good for WSU.

Even if they leave WSU, use WSU as a stepping stone, it can't be any worse then Clay, and better then having Clay, and WSU's current WR coach.

The O Line was TERRIBLE, BAD. DESPITE , going to a bowl game(OL and QB and OC were so bad combined, that if it had not been for the defense, WSU could have easily only won 1,2,3,4 games, instead of 7, and a bowl game).

Now some of that was on Rolo, and CLAY MC GUIRE inherited a TOUGH situation, but CLAY did NOT help the situation, and only made it worse.

And so because of that, Clay needs to be replaced by MSU Mason Miller OL coach if that is possible, doable, and if not, then some other coach, and if not that, then CLAY is on the FLAMING HOT SEAT.

And Clay leaving probably won't cause O Line to leave(As if WSU had any OL any other program would want).

And the WR Corp, which had some decent WR from the last 1,2 years in Bell, Victor, Stribbling(who did pretty good last year), etc, vastly UNDERPERFORMED, underachieved, did VERY BAD, because the WR coach probably did not do a good job.

the only possible reason to not replace that WR coach, is that Leyton Smith(one of the few, an or the only GOOD WR(him and Bell(Bell graduated), might leave, which might probably be a problem if he leaves since Bell graduated and Stribbling, and Ollie left(And part of the reason they left was the WR coach).

Stop making excuses for the O Line coach, WR coach and OC MORRIS'S EXTREMELY BAD OFFENSE AND EXTREMELY BAD COACHING, LACK OF DEVELOPMENT, EXTREMELY BAD PLAY CALLING.

The college that hired Morris WERE MORONS, that didn't do their homework on, about Morris, and I am GLAD HE IS GONE.

You are being almost as homeristic about Clay the OL coach, and the WR coach and OC Morris, etc, as probably you and others were about WULF.

If Arbuckle or DICKERT replaces Clay or WR coach or both with Mason Miller, Spurrier from MSU, that will be good for WSU.

Even if they leave WSU, use WSU as a stepping stone, it can't be any worse then Clay, and better then having Clay, and WSU's current WR coach.
I don’t believe McGuire is going anywhere. Filani, maybe.

I don’t believe McGuire is going anywhere. Filani, maybe.

Maybe your right, maybe not, I don't know, and I don't think we know.

That doesn't change that Clay was TRASH, GARBAGE last season, and SHOULD be replaced.

And if Clay gets replaced, no other program would want a WSU OL, so probably none of them would leave.

Filani was also bad, but if Filani gets replaced WSU could lose LEYTON SMITH, who was VERY GOOD, and losing Leyton Smith in addition to having already lost most to almost all the WR Corp, would be extremely bad.

So because of that, if only replace one, and not both it needs to be Clay, instead of Filani

Wow. I don't know where to begin, so I'll just focus on one of your comments. How do you connect anything I've written with Paul Wulff? For the record, I never defended Wulff and for you to even insinuate that I did is an insult. Mik, I have usually been on your side and either defended or, at the very least, ignored nearly all of your rants. Please stop making stuff up about what I or any other poster "probably" said or who we "probably" were homeristic about (is that even a word?) It's rude & insulting.....and you don't need to do that. Be better.

By the way, if you read my earlier posts, I did say I'd be okay with perhaps one new coach from MSU (and I would take Miller over McGuire, absolutely) and I also indicated if the new OC wanted to replace his position coaches with Leach guys, I'd be okay with that, too. Just not a fan of sweeping a lot of them out. So am I really that much at odds with your opinion?

Glad Cougar

Wow. I don't know where to begin, so I'll just focus on one of your comments. How do you connect anything I've written with Paul Wulff? For the record, I never defended Wulff and for you to even insinuate that I did is an insult. Mik, I have usually been on your side and either defended or, at the very least, ignored nearly all of your rants. Please stop making stuff up about what I or any other poster "probably" said or who we "probably" were homeristic about (is that even a word?) It's rude & insulting.....and you don't need to do that. Be better.

By the way, if you read my earlier posts, I did say I'd be okay with perhaps one new coach from MSU (and I would take Miller over McGuire, absolutely) and I also indicated if the new OC wanted to replace his position coaches with Leach guys, I'd be okay with that, too. Just not a fan of sweeping a lot of them out. So am I really that much at odds with your opinion?

Glad Cougar

The reason for my comment, was that it seemed to me that you were defending Clay, Filani, Morris, and against replacing them.

At least that's the way I understood your comment.

And aside from calling the College that hired Morris away from WSU, "MORONS",I could have just used 'BAD", etc, the rest doesnt seem bad to me.

"Homeristic"(Being like a Homer), to me is like WEARING CRIMSON COLORED GLASSES, OR DRINKING CRIMSON KOOL AID OR A HOMER FAN(meaning a fan that is the classic home team fan, that always sees things thru home team colored glasses)

I used that term, because I thought you were wearing crimson colored glasses etc.

I suppose a person could think that Homer, Homeristic, Homer FAN, etc, could be a Homer Simpson comparison(Which would be a insulting comparison).

I was NOT comparing you to Homer Simpson. At least that was not my intent.

As far as the comment about you maybe defending WULF, my thought was that if you, one would defend Clay, Morris, you probably would defend WULF.

I don't see how saying that is so bad.

If I misunderstood you, and Insulted you, then I am sorry, as that was not my intent, and I am sorry you took it that way.

The rest of my comment logically explained why one shouldn't defend Clay, Morris, and why it would be good to replace them.

And I am not the only one who thought you were defending Clay, etc, as Pingdude others liked my comment, and they are NOT trolls, etc.

I think you need to not overreact, and develop thicker skin, as what I said was either not that bad or at least was not intended the way you took it.

Thanks for clarifying your position.

I wouldnt be surprised if they wound up with 15 or so portal/juco kids this year.

The roster is turning over fast.

Every player from the 2 deep who graduates/portals out needs to be replaced with someone from the portal or JC. High schoolers should be used to replace guys who didn't crack the 2 deep.

Every spring and fall camp is an opportunity to win a spot with as much roster turnover as we are seeing, we can't afford to be the team throwing guys onto the field because we lacked depth.

We've replaced Langford/Lee/Marsh with JC's. Added a kid from Texas to play LB but need two more. Have Pole and the S Utah transfer for the OL to replace Kingston/Stephens. Need four total WR's to replace Bell, Ferrel, Stribling, and Ollie. Cougs are rumored to have two silent commits who will be known soon.

Every player from the 2 deep who graduates/portals out needs to be replaced with someone from the portal or JC. High schoolers should be used to replace guys who didn't crack the 2 deep.

Every spring and fall camp is an opportunity to win a spot with as much roster turnover as we are seeing, we can't afford to be the team throwing guys onto the field because we lacked depth.

We've replaced Langford/Lee/Marsh with JC's. Added a kid from Texas to play LB but need two more. Have Pole and the S Utah transfer for the OL to replace Kingston/Stephens. Need four total WR's to replace Bell, Ferrel, Stribling, and Ollie. Cougs are rumored to have two silent commits who will be known soon.

The high school kids better step up fast or else they’ll be buried in transfers.

Dickfore keeps talking about being a development program. These high school kids either get coached up to play or they’ll be in the portal soon. Will kids sit 3 full years to develop for a shot at a starting position any more???

You'd think Coach Prime would be in the lead right now with 17 Transfer portal players committed, but the honor goes to ASU with 19, damn near the whole roster. Also interesting that the top 2 teams in signing Transfers are ASU (19), CU (17), However ranked in the top 10 are UCLA and Wash, with 8 each, and USC with 7, needless to say they aren't done yet. How Dickert and company do in the portal in the next month will determine their success or lack there of next year.

The high school kids better step up fast or else they’ll be buried in transfers.

Dickfore keeps talking about being a development program. These high school kids either get coached up to play or they’ll be in the portal soon. Will kids sit 3 full years to develop for a shot at a starting position any more???

Don't pay attention to what CJD says, pay attention to what he does. As long as we avoid playing guys because they've been with us for a while, I'm fine. Hudson Cedarland and Kyle Thornton shouldn't walk into a starting job next fall because they are the top two returners. Development is about taking HS kids and having them earn their way onto the two deeps. I figure we push enough players onto the two deep each year to be considered a developmental program.

Reactions: mikalalas
You'd think Coach Prime would be in the lead right now with 17 Transfer portal players committed, but the honor goes to ASU with 19, damn near the whole roster. Also interesting that the top 2 teams in signing Transfers are ASU (19), CU (17), However ranked in the top 10 are UCLA and Wash, with 8 each, and USC with 7, needless to say they aren't done yet. How Dickert and company do in the portal in the next month will determine their success or lack there of next year.
Portal closes 1/18 I think..

Don't pay attention to what CJD says, pay attention to what he does. As long as we avoid playing guys because they've been with us for a while, I'm fine. Hudson Cedarland and Kyle Thornton shouldn't walk into a starting job next fall because they are the top two returners. Development is about taking HS kids and having them earn their way onto the two deeps. I figure we push enough players onto the two deep each year to be considered a developmental program.

A tru development program with 30 scholarships to fill signs a big HS class and a few transfers. Im curious to see the numbers after this is all done.

The days of throwing freshmen and sophomores to the wolves and letting them grow are over. You have to play your best guys period. Thing is, no one is going to play freshman and sophomores who aren't ready anymore. If you aren't good enough to get on the field here, odds are you need to drop down to the FCS level to start or you are a rotational piece at the G5 level.

A tru development program with 30 scholarships to fill signs a big HS class and a few transfers. Im curious to see the numbers after this is all done.
That's a recipe for 1-11 as we would just be a farm system for other schools at that point.

Reactions: mikalalas
That's a recipe for 1-11 as we would just be a farm system for other schools at that point.

Yep. WSU and schools like it have a few options.
1) Go with all HS and plug in transfers. Watch your HS kids that play early leave.
2) Go all portal kids and that’s the end of poaching and development.
3) Find a way to be both and hope it works.

I dunno how much work the staff is doing to kee kids from leaving, so I couldnt give a decisive answer on which way to go. But if you’re having issues keeping kids, it may not be a bad idea to go all transfers and burn their free transfer year. Something to hold onto the talent right?

Reactions: froropmkr72
I certainly understand that fear, but the other side of the same coin is that WSU really isn't in a position to rely on the portal either. If we don't put effort into high school kids and then don't find what we want in the portal, or don't convince them to come, we're looking at 1-11 anyway.

I think our only option is to go hard at HS kids right up to conference championship week. If we don't have the commits we need then, we look at the portal to fill those gaps. When our players announce entry to the portal, we look at what's available to replace them. Hit the portal hard for a couple weeks, then go back to the uncommitted HS kids to finish things off. Tricky part is that we can never shift 100% to the portal, we've got to stay in touch with the HS kids even while we're portal shopping.

Our other option is that we can break the rules too, and try to lure kids from other schools before they've declared.

Yep. WSU and schools like it have a few options.
1) Go with all HS and plug in transfers. Watch your HS kids that play early leave.
2) Go all portal kids and that’s the end of poaching and development.
3) Find a way to be both and hope it works.

I dunno how much work the staff is doing to kee kids from leaving, so I couldnt give a decisive answer on which way to go. But if you’re having issues keeping kids, it may not be a bad idea to go all transfers and burn their free transfer year. Something to hold onto the talent right?

I think we are doing option 1, but maybe a tad more aggressively with transfers than "developmental program" indicates. It's foolish to assume you can keep players 4-5 years with as much tampering as we have now.

I certainly understand that fear, but the other side of the same coin is that WSU really isn't in a position to rely on the portal either. If we don't put effort into high school kids and then don't find what we want in the portal, or don't convince them to come, we're looking at 1-11 anyway.

I think our only option is to go hard at HS kids right up to conference championship week. If we don't have the commits we need then, we look at the portal to fill those gaps. When our players announce entry to the portal, we look at what's available to replace them. Hit the portal hard for a couple weeks, then go back to the uncommitted HS kids to finish things off. Tricky part is that we can never shift 100% to the portal, we've got to stay in touch with the HS kids even while we're portal shopping.

Our other option is that we can break the rules too, and try to lure kids from other schools before they've declared.
I laid out the blueprint earlier:
Players on the two deep get replaced in the portal/JC. Players who aren't on the two deeps get replaced from high school.

The most important team the staff should be trying to build is the 2023 team. We've added some pieces to help that team, but if we don't get another 3 WR's, 2 LB's, and 3 DT's who can compete to play next year, we are going to run into problems. I have no allusions that we are snagging a bunch of all conference talents in the portal. But it's important to get guys who can be counted on to provide a floor against an absolute disaster. We signed close to 20 HS athletes this year. That's at the upper end of what we need each year.

ADVERTISEMENT