ADVERTISEMENT

Brand X

Loyal Coug

Hall Of Fame
Sep 27, 2003
So I always wander over to Brand X and Y after games (or when the YC vs CE kindergarten spats make me think about changing my subscription). Brand X's board is almost dead - one poster asked where everyone is and apparently they all left when ownership changed?

I did see a mrsponge post so maybe CE can enlighten us. Or someone else. I had not been there for probably 9 months so huh.

Hard to tell how many followers Brand Y has since they have pretty non-existent fanpost board. More of a news site.

Is there some new site that I don't know of? Did GoBigCougs come out of his Tibetan monastery and start a new one?

Not that I care all that much - this site works for me. I could use a few more Aron Baynes lovers on the BB board but oh well. :p

So I always wander over to Brand X and Y after games (or when the YC vs CE kindergarten spats make me think about changing my subscription). Brand X's board is almost dead - one poster asked where everyone is and apparently they all left when ownership changed?

I did see a mrsponge post so maybe CE can enlighten us. Or someone else. I had not been there for probably 9 months so huh.

Hard to tell how many followers Brand Y has since they have pretty non-existent fanpost board. More of a news site.

Is there some new site that I don't know of? Did GoBigCougs come out of his Tibetan monastery and start a new one?

Not that I care all that much - this site works for me. I could use a few more Aron Baynes lovers on the BB board but oh well. :p

I think they get a decent amount of traffic on their paid board......but they have to give away 3-6 months for free to get a lot of them to be part of it.

CBS took over the site and changed the format and I think that killed a lot people's interest...

I believe this is the most accurate. When CBS took over, they changed the look of the site to look like the 24/7 platform that they had previously purchased. Right away there was much less traffic, as people were getting used to the new platform and it was very noticeable. The traffic really never came back.

Brand X gets more traffic on their premium board. The free board over there is dead, except for Auburndawg's power rankings and predictions. Even then, those are the same tired jabs back and forth. Pretty dull.

But yes, Brand X is getting way less post traffic than before the change over. A seeming "QB controversy" has livened things up a bit.

Really seems like the live action is on Twitter.

Brand X gets more traffic on their premium board. The free board over there is dead, except for Auburndawg's power rankings and predictions. Even then, those are the same tired jabs back and forth. Pretty dull.

But yes, Brand X is getting way less post traffic than before the change over. A seeming "QB controversy" has livened things up a bit.

Really seems like the live action is on Twitter.

Good point about Twitter.

The message board may be a dying fan communications tool...for all but the most ardent fans. We'll see...

Twitter has been around for years, whereas the drop-off in forum activity over at Brand X was quite clearly when they switched over to the 24/7 message board format. It sucks. I realize it sounds like I'm making too much of one feature, but losing threaded view, where you could see who replied to whom in a given thread -- which I used to use to see whether a thread was worth paying attention to and to quickly scope out where the best discussions were -- has really hurt it. I used to spend a lot of time in the premium forums over there, but I now spend almost no time at all.

Twitter has been around for years, whereas the drop-off in forum activity over at Brand X was quite clearly when they switched over to the 24/7 message board format. It sucks. I realize it sounds like I'm making too much of one feature, but losing threaded view, where you could see who replied to whom in a given thread -- which I used to use to see whether a thread was worth paying attention to and to quickly scope out where the best discussions were -- has really hurt it. I used to spend a lot of time in the premium forums over there, but I now spend almost no time at all.
I agree, not seeing who has posted in a thread leaves me uninterested

The little twerp monitors are to blame as they ban any interesting posters. They also created a list of posters whose posts are read and have to be approved before they are posted. Those little twits deserve a fanny thumping for their arrogance and hostility toward posters they do not like .

Reactions: crimsonstone
The little twerp monitors are to blame as they ban any interesting posters. They also created a list of posters whose posts are read and have to be approved before they are posted. Those little twits deserve a fanny thumping for their arrogance and hostility toward posters they do not like .

Yea, the Crimson Gavel went around banning people then BAM, 7 years later, the activity dropped. That must be it.

I always used Brand Y to refer to CC/SBN. They seem to be doing well... in the age of 5-second attention spans they offer loads of vetted, crowdsourced content with rich media and visual scheme breakdowns, as well as live-updating comment threads during games (no F5 there).

I know Rivals & Brand X have a strong base of older legacy fans, but it could only have been be a matter of time. Both charge $ for a War Games-era UI and inside scoops/access that never stays secret for more than 24 hours with the advent of Twitter etc. By contrast, other options offer free access to everything.

I would spend more game threads at Brand Y, but the crack staff of petulant know-it-alls makes it a Plan B. Prefer the more democratic - if technologically underpowered - Rivals site.

I made that list of "moderator approved posting" what a joke. they should have called it the paul wulff censorship panel

Brand X is the epitome of censorship........ They hide behind their keyboards and computer monitors because they know that's the only power they will ever experience.

Yea, the Crimson Gavel went around banning people then BAM, 7 years later, the activity dropped. That must be it.

Eh, it's been in decline since the gavel first showed up. Almost all of the longtime posters there are gone. The format change seemed to be the final nail in the coffin. It is unusable now.

No I have zero idea who Mrs SpongeBob is so I can't enlighten you.

So I hadn't posted on Brand X in a while. A couple days ago, I commented on a thread over there about standing during the game. I said that people shouldn't be the only one standing (or sitting) in a section. Be aware of what the people around you are doing and act accordingly. I didn't say anything out of line and nobody even said anything about the post.

Tonight, I tried to put a post on that said, "He meant #19?" in response to someone saying that WSU would be #9 against USC. I get a popup saying that my post was submitted but would not be shown until reviewed by a moderator. That place is so freakin' pathetic. F' them.

Reactions: Cougzz
So I hadn't posted on Brand X in a while. A couple days ago, I commented on a thread over there about standing during the game. I said that people shouldn't be the only one standing (or sitting) in a section. Be aware of what the people around you are doing and act accordingly. I didn't say anything out of line and nobody even said anything about the post.

Tonight, I tried to put a post on that said, "He meant #19?" in response to someone saying that WSU would be #9 against USC. I get a popup saying that my post was submitted but would not be shown until reviewed by a moderator. That place is so freakin' pathetic. F' them.

You, sir, are a real troublemaking rabble rouser. How dare you suggest that we will not be ranked ninth after the next two weeks. Such provocation cannot be allowed.

Reactions: Cougzz
You, sir, are a real troublemaking rabble rouser. How dare you suggest that we will not be ranked ninth after the next two weeks. Such provocation cannot be allowed.

I deserve it just for being dumb enough to post over there in the first place. Please accept my apology.

I deserve it just for being dumb enough to post over there in the first place. Please accept my apology.
Apparently there was something going on with the parent site where they temporarily had that on everyone's posts. I shot them a PM to see what was up because I got the same thing and hadn't posted anything close to inappropriate. It's pretty dead there anyways so hardly worth stopping by.

The format change was a blow for Brand X. The rest of the site is OK. I've been there about as long as I've been here, and a lot of the same folks are still around. Change is always hard. This place stumbled when Tony D left; after time and some personnel change it is back to being OK. Brand X will eventually come back. I haven't run into the monitor issues, but maybe that is because I am older and more mellow than some of you guys. I know from some parking lot conversations that some of their post monitoring paranoia is an over-reaction to what happened here every time the name "Paul Wulff" was thrown out in a post. Having watched all that unfold, I can understand their point.

But the format change was undeniably unpopular and hurt them badly. Losing the thread logic; losing the classic format; the sorts of things that out of control IT juveniles do when concerned with improving the site efficiency by a few percentage points, while at the same time angering the subscribers. No adults were apparently in charge as local college sites were gobbled up and infrastructure steps needed to be taken. It is all well and good to improve site efficiency, but doing it at the expense of user enjoyment is just plain dumb.

I posted in that thread as well, I'll assume I'm back on moderator approval status

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT