ADVERTISEMENT

Breakout Player for 2017?

CougInSpain

Hall Of Fame
Dec 22, 2009
We all know who our studs are on Defense and Offense but name a player who you think will be lights out this year, unexpectedly and list your reasons why.

On Defense, Nnamdi Oguayo..... He showed flashes of his skill set when he did play. I think this year he will get close to 10 sacks if not over it.

On Offense, CJ Dimry.... Its do or die time for this 6th yr Sr. He has the skills, speed and height to be an absolute stud but for whatever reason, it has yet to translate. Let's hope this year will be that year.

Reactions: froropmkr72
Agree. I think you'll see a wide receiver to two emerge this year. I don't have the name, but someone will emerge.

I suspect it may end up being Isiah Johnson-Mack. Some combo of him, Dimry, and Patmon are going to have to be able to get deep and come down with the jump ball. Martin is too similar to Marks, more quick than fast, and not as good at getting the contested ball as Gabe. Whoever earns some trust from the QBs in fall camp will have lots of chances to make big plays. The JC slot guy, Easop Winston, got rave reviews from Falk in the spring for his hands, so expect him to see some 3rd down balls go his way. On defense I also like Oguayo because he fits a need and should be suitably cooked for it now. There will be others I'm sure but at this stage it's hard for me to guess.

We all know who our studs are on Defense and Offense but name a player who you think will be lights out this year, unexpectedly and list your reasons why.

On Defense, Nnamdi Oguayo..... He showed flashes of his skill set when he did play. I think this year he will get close to 10 sacks if not over it.

On Offense, CJ Dimry.... Its do or die time for this 6th yr Sr. He has the skills, speed and height to be an absolute stud but for whatever reason, it has yet to translate. Let's hope this year will be that year.

On defense, it'll be Louis Bland, the next Mark Fields!
On offense, Mike Vandenkolk is the Second Coming of Mike Levenseller!

I don't know who it will be, but we need it to be someone big on the "D" line to join the rotation with Eukale. Two out of these three would suffice: Tapa, McBroom, and Fernandez.

I don't know who it will be, but we need it to be someone big on the "D" line to join the rotation with Eukale. Two out of these three would suffice: Tapa, McBroom, and Fernandez.
I think we can group in Hunter Mattox with that discussion as well.

I think we can group in Hunter Mattox with that discussion as well.

If Lyric Bartley shows up at 275 or more, he's another guy who could get into the rotation. Mattox was listed at 286 in the spring. Here's hoping he's added another 10 pounds of muscle. I thought Nick Begg might develop into a tackle, but he was still just 260 in the spring. He's got a large frame that easily could pack on another 30 pounds.

I have always hoped that Tapa will get in shape and fulfill his enormous potential.. Maybe he will this year?

Interested to see how Danny Bender does this season.

I hope I'm wrong...but if Dimry hasn't popped in five seasons (and I understand he's had injury issues), then I'm skeptical that he will. We have other candidates though who will shine in our WR lineup.

We have a depth of receivers who look promising but have yet to really deliver and meet our expectations. At least two have to make that quantum leap from O.K. to very good. We saw how the offense sputtered after Cracraft went down and now we are missing Marks too. My pick for the most likely to make that grade is Winston. At least one more has to join him. Agree with happen that it is unlikely to be Dimry. After a while one loses hope. C'mon, kid, prove us wrong. I don't want to see a season of an excellent quarterback passing to a group of adequate/O.K./mediocre/average receivers.

Agree with Bogusto that someone has to step up and fill the NT position. Tapa was a beast in high school but hasn't shown it here. He is approaching a loss of hope on my part and, again, I hope to be proven wrong.

I hope I'm wrong...but if Dimry hasn't popped in five seasons (and I understand he's had injury issues), then I'm skeptical that he will. We have other candidates though who will shine in our WR lineup.

My understanding of Dimry's career is that he had a serious growth spurt after high school and didn't pursue football seriously until he attended Saddleback CC, where he was redshirted in 2013 and then played in 2014, per the Seattle Times. He attended a different JC before that. He definitely showed flashes of talent in the second half of last season. His speed and agility would be impressive for any WR, but he's 6-5. The coaches have said he's finally overcoming his lack of experience. I think he's at least as good as Johnson-Mack, but time will tell.

I'll take my two breakouts on D--one on the d-line, and one LB. would love to see the Jihadist be the LB to go bonkers on opposing infidels, and don't care on the D-line as long as somebody steps up.

If Lyric Bartley shows up at 275 or more, he's another guy who could get into the rotation. Mattox was listed at 286 in the spring. Here's hoping he's added another 10 pounds of muscle. I thought Nick Begg might develop into a tackle, but he was still just 260 in the spring. He's got a large frame that easily could pack on another 30 pounds.

What's Danny Bender at these days? He could be another one.

My understanding of Dimry's career is that he had a serious growth spurt after high school and didn't pursue football seriously until he attended Saddleback CC, where he was redshirted in 2013 and then played in 2014, per the Seattle Times. He attended a different JC before that. He definitely showed flashes of talent in the second half of last season. His speed and agility would be impressive for any WR, but he's 6-5. The coaches have said he's finally overcoming his lack of experience. I think he's at least as good as Johnson-Mack, but time will tell.

Maybe I mixed him up with another tall receiver who has had injury issues.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT