ADVERTISEMENT

BSB Final: Cougs 5, UCLA 2 (Game 1) - Stats

Great way to start an important series. UCLA was the runaway pre-season pick to win the Pac-12 and are still a very, very good team. Hoping that Mills throws another gem today to clinch the series....and give the Cougars great momentum to finish strong vs. USC & UW. It's not out of the question that WSU can still make post season play.

Glad Cougar

Great way to start an important series. UCLA was the runaway pre-season pick to win the Pac-12 and are still a very, very good team. Hoping that Mills throws another gem today to clinch the series....and give the Cougars great momentum to finish strong vs. USC & UW. It's not out of the question that WSU can still make post season play.

Glad Cougar
Let's hope they win this series. It is still going to be tough, as the Cougars are currently in 8th place. I wonder how many teams the committee will take from the conference? As of now, the Cougars are 9-12 in the conference standings. Cal is the team just ahead of them at 9-9. Even if the Cougars take 2 of 3 from Oregon, USC, and the uw, they would finish 14-15, a losing conference record.

Edit: The official Pac 12 website didn't update the standings yet, even though they have the score of the game posted. So, the Cougars are 10-12 now, not 9-12. So, they can reach .500 by just winning 2 of 3 in each remaining series (including UCLA).

Last edited:
Reactions: Sea-Coug
Let's hope they win this series. It is still going to be tough, as the Cougars are currently in 8th place. I wonder how many teams the committee will take from the conference? As of now, the Cougars are 9-12 in the conference standings. Cal is the team just ahead of them at 9-9. Even if the Cougars take 2 of 3 from Oregon, USC, and the uw, they would finish 14-15, a losing conference record.
I’m not much of a College baseball follower but is there any value to being hot at the end of the season in the eyes of the selection committee? Baseball you can be a completely different team over the course of a couple of months. Gotta think the way this team is playing they would be very competitive in the tourney and should be more attractive than a team that has a game on them in the standings but limped to the finish.

Edit: The official Pac 12 website didn't update the standings yet, even though they have the score of the game posted. So, the Cougars are 10-12 now, not 9-12. So, they can reach .500 by just winning 2 of 3 in each remaining series (including UCLA).
10–12 in conference w/last nights win. Need another win vs. UCLA and series wins vs. USC & uw to get 15 conference wins. Still waiting on the TBD during the bye-week, but a sweep over a softie has us @ 31-20 overall.
If the bullpen can deliver like they have the last few games by not walking and hitting the opposition this scenario can play out.
Offense is generally not an issue for this team.

We're not going to the postseason, but it's nice to see the team playing well.

RPI is 52, only 2 games under .500 in conference. Wazzu is right outside of the bubble. If they finish 31-21 and .500 in conference they gave themselves a shot, but it’s cool of you to have that attitude.

10–12 in conference w/last nights win. Need another win vs. UCLA and series wins vs. USC & uw to get 15 conference wins. Still waiting on the TBD during the bye-week, but a sweep over a softie has us @ 31-20 overall.
If the bullpen can deliver like they have the last few games by not walking and hitting the opposition this scenario can play out.
Offense is generally not an issue for this team.
Going into this weekend, the Cougs sat @ #56 in the RPI, so keep winning and we’ll be considered for post-season play.
I believe Claggett has found his bullpen rotation that gives us the best opportunity to close games.

We're not going to the postseason, but it's nice to see the team playing well.
I wouldn't be so cocksure quite yet. Pac-12 is very strong and reputable in baseball...and since most of our games have been played against top 50 competition (6 conference teams + Gonzaga), our RPI is relatively high enough to give us a shot at a regional tournament berth. It's an uphill climb, but win the final 3 series and I like our chances.

Glad Cougar

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT