ADVERTISEMENT

BYU Big 12 Bound in ‘22

I can easily understand why BYU wanted to be in the B12.

It is less clear to me why BYU was attractive to the B12. Cincinnati and Houston are both obvious, for different reasons. UCF is in a recruiting hotbed, so even if it did not bring a lot of TV interest, there are other reasons to look at them. But BYU? I guess if you were desperate for a 4th school to fill out your dance card...

Reactions: chipdouglas
I can easily understand why BYU wanted to be in the B12.

It is less clear to me why BYU was attractive to the B12. Cincinnati and Houston are both obvious, for different reasons. UCF is in a recruiting hotbed, so even if it did not bring a lot of TV interest, there are other reasons to look at them. But BYU? I guess if you were desperate for a 4th school to fill out your dance card...

There’s a lot of Mormon tv eyeballs.

Reactions: Fab5Coug
Pac12 will hold until all the teams are eaten up. USC, Oregon etc will jump to SEC West after the alliance shows minor implications against the SEC. WSU, OR st. Cal, Arizona etc will be looking at a new Pacific West conference. New commissioner of PacWest Confernce Larry Scott hires Associate Commisioner Jim Sterk. BSU and Idaho join the conference. Pain.

Pac12 will hold until all the teams are eaten up. USC, Oregon etc will jump to SEC West after the alliance shows minor implications against the SEC. WSU, OR st. Cal, Arizona etc will be looking at a new Pacific West conference. New commissioner of PacWest Confernce Larry Scott hires Associate Commisioner Jim Sterk. BSU and Idaho join the conference. Pain.
Not sure how much satire is in this, but its not too hard to imagine the have-nots of the P12 getting ditched and ending up with the remnants of the MWC.

The Pac-12 Presidents are not interested in forming a semi-pro conference. They are academically focused.

The SEC fan bases pretty much dictate what their school Presidents must do. Texas and Oklahoma were looking to be relevant "powerhouses" again.

I'm not surprised by BYU and Big-12. It was floated that was coming a few weeks ago.

The Pac-12 Presidents are not interested in forming a semi-pro conference. They are academically focused.

The SEC fan bases pretty much dictate what their school Presidents must do. Texas and Oklahoma were looking to be relevant "powerhouses" again.

I'm not surprised by BYU and Big-12. It was floated that was coming a few weeks ago.
Agreed. For the Big 12, this is about survival. Under normal circumstances, BYU probably isn't that attractive. But faced with the idea of coming apart at the seams and having half their teams end up in G5 conferences...it's better to promote some G5 teams and try to stay at the big kids' table.

Pac-12 is too financially aligned. Ownership of a network. Rivalries. Scheduling ties. Etc. I don't see this coming anytime soon.

BYU leaving the WCC has Gonzaga threatening to jump to the Big 9 Conference along with DeSales & Othello.

Not sure how much satire is in this, but its not too hard to imagine the have-nots of the P12 getting ditched and ending up with the remnants of the MWC.

I could see that either signaling the end of my college football fandom or being a pretty fun conference that is more enjoyable and less stressful to watch.

Reactions: Wazzubrooz
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT