ADVERTISEMENT

Cal and Wilcox....TCU and Sonny Dykes (reminder Cal fired him)

ttowncoug

Hall Of Fame
Sep 9, 2001
Curious how much time Cal gives Wilcox. Losing to Colorado stings. They only have one remaining game that seems winnable (Stanford). How long does Cal hang in there?

I also find the irony on how well TCU and Dykes are doing. TCU has some players and they are really playing well.

My guess is he's canned at the end of the season. Shaw may be able to ride another year out with the win vs. ND.

Curious if that was a "he wanted the job".... but they "wanted someone else" type "turning down." Sort of like Leach and Tennessee.

Curious if that was a "he wanted the job".... but they "wanted someone else" type "turning down." Sort of like Leach and Tennessee.
Leach was offered the Tenn job. Had a contract in front of him and Fulmer pulled the plug....

I know that...but the notion that Wilcox was "offered" and "turned down" the job doesn't seem likely. I can't remember the spin Leach put on the Tennesse thing though. I thought it was to the effect he's happy at WSU but was just chatting with them in California.

I know that...but the notion that Wilcox was "offered" and "turned down" the job doesn't seem likely. I can't remember the spin Leach put on the Tennesse thing though. I thought it was to the effect he's happy at WSU but was just chatting with them in California.
Wilcox was offered the job but it came with conditions. IE who really runs the program, who will dictate the offense etc etc...

Cal is the worst job in the league. No one will do well there consistently until the culture changes.
Cal isn't the worst of the worst, but I totally understand where you're coming from.

When you have state of California, major airport, NFL team next door, and a history of NFL players... that's better than LOTS of schools.

They do seem to have sand in the veeger when it comes to politiczing, focusing, and appreciating.

Cal isn't the worst of the worst, but I totally understand where you're coming from.

When you have state of California, major airport, NFL team next door, and a history of NFL players... that's better than LOTS of schools.

They do seem to have sand in the veeger when it comes to politiczing, focusing, and appreciating.

What is the worst program in the league then?

The things you listed don’t matter. What matters is “want to.” Cal has zero interest in creating a culture for their football program. They are “just enough” or “barely enough” minded. And have the jack shit history to support it.

The things you listed don’t matter. What matters is “want to.” Cal has zero interest in creating a culture for their football program. They are “just enough” or “barely enough” minded. And have the jack shit history to support it.
Do you think New Mexico State is better than Cal?

Did you mean conference?

I personally find it difficult to believe that Wilcox truly "downed down" Oregon. Perhaps this was mutual.

I heard that he is a micromanager and was one of the main reasons Baldwin bailed on him. Didn't have control of the offense but was held accountable for the on field results.

Colorado should be a great job....but it hasn't been. They've had one full winning season since 2005 (2020 doesn't really count) and four coach's careers have ended in disgrace since then. Denver is all about it's pro sports and CU hasn't been good enough to pry eyes away from that.

Arizona has been a career killer for a while. Mackovic, Stoops, RichRod, and Sumlin all got fired from there. Tomey was essentially fired too. Larry Smith was the last coach to leave Arizona without resigning or getting fired....and that was in 1986.

Oregon State has the "want to" but outside of that, it's a very, very niche job. It was argued the other day on this board that OSU is respected so little that a 9-2 record would not be enough for them to be considered a Top 15 program. They've only had two coaches in the past 50 years that were able to get ranked at all in a season. WSU has had six coaches who had teams that were ranked in the Top 25 at some point in the same time span.

California has a divisive relationship with its university leadership but I don't think that I'd say that it's a worse program than either CU or Arizona based on the way that things have gone for both of those schools.....and OSU is the poor man's version of WSU.

Colorado should be a great job....but it hasn't been. They've had one full winning season since 2005 (2020 doesn't really count) and four coach's careers have ended in disgrace since then. Denver is all about it's pro sports and CU hasn't been good enough to pry eyes away from that.

Arizona has been a career killer for a while. Mackovic, Stoops, RichRod, and Sumlin all got fired from there. Tomey was essentially fired too. Larry Smith was the last coach to leave Arizona without resigning or getting fired....and that was in 1986.

Oregon State has the "want to" but outside of that, it's a very, very niche job. It was argued the other day on this board that OSU is respected so little that a 9-2 record would not be enough for them to be considered a Top 15 program. They've only had two coaches in the past 50 years that were able to get ranked at all in a season. WSU has had six coaches who had teams that were ranked in the Top 25 at some point in the same time span.

California has a divisive relationship with its university leadership but I don't think that I'd say that it's a worse program than either CU or Arizona based on the way that things have gone for both of those schools.....and OSU is the poor man's version of WSU.
Yup, Colorado is an awful job. No recruiting pipelines near you and the donors all remember winning a NC and think the next guy should too.

Hard to say. Cal has a long history of not paying much attention to their program - both in administrative support and fan support. Even in the best of the Tedford years, when they were ranked in the top 10, they couldn't fill their stadium regularly. They're the "other" university in the Bay Area and in the UC system, and they act like it - David Shaw & Clay Kelly both make roughly double what Wilcox does. Cal has location going for them, but that's about it.

Not saying that UA, OSU, Colorado (or WSU) are better...just that Cal has to be in the conversation.

Hard to say. Cal has a long history of not paying much attention to their program - both in administrative support and fan support. Even in the best of the Tedford years, when they were ranked in the top 10, they couldn't fill their stadium regularly. They're the "other" university in the Bay Area and in the UC system, and they act like it - David Shaw & Clay Kelly both make roughly double what Wilcox does. Cal has location going for them, but that's about it.

Not saying that UA, OSU, Colorado (or WSU) are better...just that Cal has to be in the conversation.

Bottom 4 are Cal, CU, UA and ASU. All could be way better. They CHOOSE not to be.

Yup, Colorado is an awful job. No recruiting pipelines near you and the donors all remember winning a NC and think the next guy should too.

There are some parallels between Nebraska and Colorado. Neither likely should have left the Big 12.

Reactions: kougkurt

I agree that Cal is punching way below their weight. And Biggs is right that the four schools he listed have managed to make jobs that should be good jobs into places to fail.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT