ADVERTISEMENT

CFP

95coug

Hall Of Fame
Dec 22, 2002
I don’t usually pay that much attention to the polls, and I have almost as much contempt for USC as for UW and UO.

But…

How in the hell do you put a 2 loss LSU team ahead of a 1 loss USC? USC lost by 1 point on the road to the current #14 team. LSU lost at home to unranked Florida State, and got blown out at home by Tennessee (currently #10).

I don’t usually pay that much attention to the polls, and I have almost as much contempt for USC as for UW and UO.

But…

How in the hell do you put a 2 loss LSU team ahead of a 1 loss USC? USC lost by 1 point on the road to the current #14 team. LSU lost at home to unranked Florida State, and got blown out at home by Tennessee (currently #10).
I see what you are saying...but LSU is coming on really strong. They may well end up as the SEC champ.

I'm not going to argue that a 2-loss team should be ahead of 1-loss team, but if we're being fair here, SC squeaked out wins over Oregon State & UCLA by a combined 6pts, and dropped their only other ranked game to Utah.

LSU beat Alabama and clobbered #20 Ole Miss by 4 TDs. Their first loss was a 1pt neutral site loss to a ranked team. Not going to defend getting smashed by Tennessee other than that Tennessee is (was) a CFP contender until recently.

Still think you have to give a 1-loss team the nod for the same reason G5 teams get the nod despite P5's "quality losses" though.

If USC runs the table– beats Notre Dame and wins the conference championship game– I'm betting they will end up in the top four. LSU will play Georgia in the SEC championship. Obviously, a 3rd loss will eliminate the Tigers from CFP consideration. But even if LSU wins, the loser of Michigan-Ohio State won't even play in the Big 10 championship game despite having just the one loss. Would a 1-loss team that doesn't win its own division make it over a 1-loss Pac-12 champion? I'm thinking no, but you can never be sure.

The only real important poll is the one at the end of the regular season.

Glad Cougar

If USC runs the table– beats Notre Dame and wins the conference championship game– I'm betting they will end up in the top four. LSU will play Georgia in the SEC championship. Obviously, a 3rd loss will eliminate the Tigers from CFP consideration. But even if LSU wins, the loser of Michigan-Ohio State won't even play in the Big 10 championship game despite having just the one loss. Would a 1-loss team that doesn't win its own division make it over a 1-loss Pac-12 champion? I'm thinking no, but you can never be sure.

The only real important poll is the one at the end of the regular season.

Glad Cougar
If the Michigan/Ohio St game is close, it's hard to argue a team with a close loss to the #2 team in the country doesn't deserve to be in the top 4. The best bet for USC to get in would be for TCU to take a loss. Then any combo of a OSU/Michigan blowout or a Georgia SEC championship would do the trick.

If the Michigan/Ohio St game is close, it's hard to argue a team with a close loss to the #2 team in the country doesn't deserve to be in the top 4. The best bet for USC to get in would be for TCU to take a loss. Then any combo of a OSU/Michigan blowout or a Georgia SEC championship would do the trick.
I think you are probably right. Also, at this point, USC really doesn't have that overly impressive win that convinces people they are one of the four best teams in college football. They won close games vs. UCLA and Oregon State....but lost to Utah and didn't have to play Oregon (yet) or UW. I personally don't think UCLA is that good, so I don't think that's a convincing win. UCLA's record is bolstered by non-conference wins against Bowling Green, Alabama State, and South Alabama (by 1 point). USC has a chance for a good win vs. Notre Dame this weekend, but ND lost to Stanford in South Bend. So who knows?

Glad Cougar

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT