ADVERTISEMENT

Chris Peterson to Stanford?

It's a pretty great fit. Would pay him a lot with no real pressure or job insecurity. I don't know if this is still relevant, but he used to have some issues with his son that required some top-notch medical care nearby. Certainly have that with Stanford. He's a northern California guy.

It's possible to do pretty well there but not seriously expected, and with where they are at after the past several years of Shaw, the fans would be happy with 8-4 for quite a while. The thing he has to weigh is the impact on his overall coaching record. I think it's one of the closest things there would ever be to a can't-lose situation for him, should he want to get back in the game. Even if the best he could pull off there would be something like a .500 record over time due to trouble at the start, his time there would be given an asterisk, and he might even do well enough to be a borderline hero. Only way it would be any better is if Shaw muddled through a few more bad years first to get more separation from the Harbaugh and early Shaw years.

If he wants to only get in a great situation to maximize his W/L record or have a shot at a title, he would have to accept a lot more pressure and hassles.

Reactions: HCoug
No doubt he's a Fish Out of Water on Big Fox as a broadcast halftime commentator. Just a filler job, but really bad fit, IMO.

Agree, Stanford would be a good fit, and yeah, he's absolutely northern Cal guy. And he doesn't want the pressure. Real good fit, I agree.

It's a pretty great fit. Would pay him a lot with no real pressure or job insecurity. I don't know if this is still relevant, but he used to have some issues with his son that required some top-notch medical care nearby. Certainly have that with Stanford. He's a northern California guy.

It's possible to do pretty well there but not seriously expected, and with where they are at after the past several years of Shaw, the fans would be happy with 8-4 for quite a while. The thing he has to weigh is the impact on his overall coaching record. I think it's one of the closest things there would ever be to a can't-lose situation for him, should he want to get back in the game. Even if the best he could pull off there would be something like a .500 record over time due to trouble at the start, his time there would be given an asterisk, and he might even do well enough to be a borderline hero. Only way it would be any better is if Shaw muddled through a few more bad years first to get more separation from the Harbaugh and early Shaw years.

If he wants to only get in a great situation to maximize his W/L record or have a shot at a title, he would have to accept a lot more pressure and hassles.
I think the transfer portal not really likely a thing Stanford would use, it would allow him to focus on the classic recruiting and coaching he likes + boosters are low key.

As much sense this would make as a hire for their program, I think we can express a collective sigh of relief.
As a relentless overoptimizer, I would have loved to have seen Petersen go to Stanford to help bolster the Pac-12 until that next media deal gets negotiated, and then step away again once he got tired of dealing with all the BS in today's CFB world (even at Stanford).

Reactions: justinbgocougs
As a relentless overoptimizer, I would have loved to have seen Petersen go to Stanford to help bolster the Pac-12 until that next media deal gets negotiated, and then step away again once he got tired of dealing with all the BS in today's CFB world (even at Stanford).

Bingo.

Plus, competition makes everyone better, right?.......right?

ADVERTISEMENT