ADVERTISEMENT

Claeys

Lollapalousa

Varsity
Oct 15, 2018
Saw on Twitter.

That Holliday Bowl is way back in the rear view mirror. I hope he is ok and lands on his feet

Last edited:
I'm guessing it was a decision Claeys primarily made. He was probably getting a ton of heat and say the writing on the wall.

I watched his post practice interview last week and he looked like a guy who knew he was in a bad spot. If you haven't seen it.......

Last edited:
Reactions: walzuu
Wow. I'm freaking shocked. I wonder how Phelps is going to take this news. He is really close to Tracy.

Might see some different personnel now
Also the slants and stunts that never worked will probably stop
Im good with it reminds me of lyle setenich

When Leach said, "fat, soft, happy, dumb and entitled" was he referring only to the players. No wonder practice was canceled. Wonder who on staff will get the recruiting opportunities now that Claeys isn't coaching. Bye week just got more interesting.

Likely, Claeys decided on his own accord. You don't make that decision at this point.

Clearly Claeys wasn't happy or maybe he didn't see eye to eye with Leach. Maybe Claeys is in a position where he can "walk."

Reactions: walzuu
I would think so, not sure you make the move in-season without a plan.
Perhaps lights a bit of fire under the players asses too. It’s an indictment on a player when your coach gets let go...and probably what happened. It’s not like there’s no talent on this defense, they are just struggling to pick things up and constantly out of position.

Kind of a catch 22 in that the kind of guy I’d assume we’d want is someone who shows the character to be loyal and finish out the season and not bail on your guys halfway through the year, which is exactly what we’d be asking them to do.

Already gone from website. Bellantoni already listed as interim DC and Mcbath as Co-dc. Damn. Something dramatically went down since Saturday. I assume Shaver is next since he was Co-DC at Utah St and Mcbath got picked over him. Noticed Phelps and Shaver have had absolutely no twitter action since last weekend cept Shaver started following Obama. Maybe that's a big FU to Leach. DRAMA!!

Reactions: Cougzz
Likely, Claeys decided on his own accord. You don't make that decision at this point.

Clearly Claeys wasn't happy or maybe he didn't see eye to eye with Leach. Maybe Claeys is in a position where he can "walk."

Agree. Leach doesn’t seem like the guy who is hands and is a huge voice in the coaches room . How many coaches has he ever fired ?

If Leach wanted him to stay......so confused?? Health reasons, Claeys didn't like the comments made last Sat, Claeys disappointed in his own performance and resigned.

Agree. Leach doesn’t seem like the guy who is hands and is a huge voice in the coaches room . How many coaches has he ever fired ?
Well, the previous DC for starters.

Leach may be vocal about a lot of things, but we know he’s tight lipped about the more serious aspects of the team—like injuries—so it stands to reason the inner workings of the coaching staff and his relationships with them aren’t something he wants to share with the rest of us.

Well, the previous DC for starters.

Leach may be vocal about a lot of things, but we know he’s tight lipped about the more serious aspects of the team—like injuries—so it stands to reason the inner workings of the coaching staff and his relationships with them aren’t something he wants to share with the rest of us.

And Russell.

If Leach wanted him to stay......so confused?? Health reasons, Claeys didn't like the comments made last Sat, Claeys disappointed in his own performance and resigned.
Some alum administrators and defensive coaches resigned for different reasons.....

He is a huge loss and his resignation will be felt in all aspects of the program. The defense was very good last year which many people try to forget.He will quickly find a job and i wonder where he ends up .If the cougs lose a few more games the fan base will wonder what happened to the program. As i said earlier the cougs may struggle to get a bowl bid this year. I expect a couple of more resignations to follow at the end of the season. And just when the outlook appeared very bright for the future.

Whatever happened it’s not really that overly worrisome. Oregon St went through Hell with their last coaching staff and any good administrator and or coach can right the issues.

We shown we will pay people, atleast well enough to attract someone who can get the job done even if they don’t stay forever. Leach has made very few bad hires.

Leach has fired a few coaches before mid season, but I agree... Leach isn't a shoot first and ask questions later type. Especially by naming Roc and McBath the co D coordinators, we are going to be trying to fix this thing mid flight. I just don't think whatever struggles the team is having warrant the downside of replacing a coach with a multi-year contract.

Assuming Claeys doesn't have a serious health issue, it's probable he simply concluded he wasn't the right fit to turn this thing around. The biggest challenge on D is the lack of leadership and Claeys, for all his strength as a teacher and X's/O's, doesn't have a commanding presence. He might have decided he wasn't the guy to turn the season around.

Reactions: ATACFD
Wow!! I was thinking last week that Claeys may just not have the coaching fire and attention to detail anymore, he has just seemed burnt out this year, and perhaps he should resign at the end of the season. Did not expect this already mid season. Despite this season he has done some good things here and I wish him well.

I would not have thought Bellantoni would get the interem nod. Not sold on him. Perhaps we could lure Roy Manning away from OK or get Ken Wilson back from Oregon to be our new DC. As I've posted before, I've always been a fan of those 2.

The personnel usage was rather shocking at times this year. Maybe there has been disagreements over who plays between DC and assistants. If during the next game Travion Brown and Roy Stone start over the seniors, and the stunts overwhelmingly stop. I would guess there was a decent chance of a division in philosophy and players.

Wow!! I was thinking last week that Claeys may just not have the coaching fire and attention to detail anymore, he has just seemed burnt out this year, and perhaps he should resign at the end of the season. Did not expect this already mid season. Despite this season he has done some good things here and I wish him well.

I would not have thought Bellantoni would get the interem nod. Not sold on him. Perhaps we could lure Roy Manning away from OK or get Ken Wilson back from Oregon to be our new DC. As I've posted before, I've always been a fan of those 2.

Claeys has given several interviews which seemed exceptionally candid. No blowing smoke, just unhappiness over how the D was playing.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT