ADVERTISEMENT

CML Monday press conference

Loyal Coug

Hall Of Fame
Sep 27, 2003
Well worth the 25+ minutes. Coach has laid down the gauntlet to his underachieving OL, RB's, WR's and others, sparing no words about how they "got their asses kicked" by BSU. I predict that they will come out and pummel OSU. And go from there.

Some whiners might feel that he was harsh, but he called it like we all saw it.

Well worth the 25+ minutes. Coach has laid down the gauntlet to his underachieving OL, RB's, WR's and others, sparing no words about how they "got their asses kicked" by BSU. I predict that they will come out and pummel OSU. And go from there.

Maybe it was a bit harsh, but what he saw was what we all saw, and as he pointed out during a question about the running back rotation, it's not PE. When the team that ostensibly has the superior talent gets kicked around the field, especially HIS offense (make no mistake that there's some ego there that might work to our benefit in the immediate future), that makes the people around that team, mad. And it ought to make the players mad. Hopefully they'll use that.

What I want to know is: why does this seem to be a perpetual problem? Are we still exorcising our past? Or is this how Leach will always motivate? I can live with either, but I thought we had moved on.

If you want a physical team you have to practice that way. If you want a team that isn't surprised by equivalent talent you need to practice goods on goods.

I think one of the reasons you see teams with slow starts or teams get surprised early by a team with lesser talent/depth is contact in practice. Some teams just don't hit as much anymore. Show me a team that doesn't practice taking kids to the ground and I'll show you a team that will have lapses where they get whipped. Do you really believe that a team with poor tacklers has tough practices where the defense hits and takes to the ground???

The issue is coaching. The kids reflect what Leach teaches or doesn't teach.

If you want a physical team you have to practice that way. If you want a team that isn't surprised by equivalent talent you need to practice goods on goods.

I think one of the reasons you see teams with slow starts or teams get surprised early by a team with lesser talent/depth is contact in practice. Some teams just don't hit as much anymore. Show me a team that doesn't practice taking kids to the ground and I'll show you a team that will have lapses where they get whipped. Do you really believe that a team with poor tacklers has tough practices where the defense hits and takes to the ground???

interesting take, but how much of that is dictated to the teams? isn't the schedule of contact/non-contact/whatever practices more or less dictated by the ncaa at this point?

The tackling has been much better in these first two games than it has been early in the season the past two years. The defense looked totally ready and prepared, unlike the past two seasons. No special teams catastrophes- Taylor's miss up on the kick return was the worst thing yet. Morrow did the right thing in letting that punt go over his head and not risking a muff.

I think it's the best run support d-backfield in a long time.......as a whole. They're big either, but they can tackle. There are some players that were supposed to be key contributors this year who have been a little absent. Maybe it's the scheme so far...but I hope they get used to their potential. Obviously, Hercules is amazing.

The tackling has been much better in these first two games than it has been early in the season the past two years. The defense looked totally ready and prepared, unlike the past two seasons. No special teams catastrophes- Taylor's miss up on the kick return was the worst thing yet. Morrow did the right thing in letting that punt go over his head and not risking a muff.
disagree on the morrow punt, he has to make that catch to preserve field position at a crucial point in the game, if he can't go get it he shouldn't be back there

I love Leach and his no BS approach. He calls it out as he sees it. No tail wagging the Leach Dog ever !!! Works for me.

If you were to script the best possible win it would be 1) obviously, against a good opponent, 2) where we struggled significantly throughout the game and into OT, and 3) where the struggle is due to our poor play so Leach could lay into the team and almost make it seem like we lost.

I expect our O-line to play much better against OSU and beyond (begs the question of why our line coach doesn't have them ready). I also expect Falk to stop his brain freeze and play much better.

This game against a good Boise State was exactly the kind of win that is ideal. It exposed some big issues we have to work on and pushed our guys to never give up....all while not allowing us to feel too good at this point in the season.

disagree on the morrow punt, he has to make that catch to preserve field position at a crucial point in the game, if he can't go get it he shouldn't be back there

Agree, but to Dgibb's point, at least Morrow didn't compound the mistake of misjudging the punt by trying to field it over his shoulder.

He misjudged it, but did the safe thing by letting it bounce instead of trying to make a difficult catch it over his shoulder.

Agree, but to Dgibb's point, at least Morrow didn't compound the mistake of misjudging the punt by trying to field it over his shoulder.
Recall how we excoriated Craycraft vs Rutgers in Seattle on his muffed punt catch a few years back too? Must not make mistakes in key moments of games.

What I want to know is: why does this seem to be a perpetual problem? Are we still exorcising our past? Or is this how Leach will always motivate? I can live with either, but I thought we had moved on.

What seems to be a perpetual problem?

If you were to script the best possible win it would be 1) obviously, against a good opponent, 2) where we struggled significantly throughout the game and into OT, and 3) where the struggle is due to our poor play so Leach could lay into the team and almost make it seem like we lost.

I expect our O-line to play much better against OSU and beyond (begs the question of why our line coach doesn't have them ready). I also expect Falk to stop his brain freeze and play much better.

This game against a good Boise State was exactly the kind of win that is ideal. It exposed some big issues we have to work on and pushed our guys to never give up....all while not allowing us to feel too good at this point in the season.

Because neither the OL coach, nor the OL players are perfect?

I don't feel like line play is a habitual problem. Leach hasn't aired out the entire line like this since, what, 2012?

Overall, I've been pretty elated with the line play under McGuire. Doesn't mean they won't have bad games as a unit though.

Because neither the OL coach, nor the OL players are perfect?

I don't feel like line play is a habitual problem. Leach hasn't aired out the entire line like this since, what, 2012?

Overall, I've been pretty elated with the line play under McGuire. Doesn't mean they won't have bad games as a unit though.

Not so much about perfection. More about basic competency. My expectations were higher to start the season for the O-line, but as you say, they will improve.

O line can be an enigma at any level. Half the NFL can't put together a decent O line. Even top tier college programs, loaded with 4 star players often have a former walk on on the O line.

Very difficult position to project. Possibly because if the cohesion needed for the group

man, i agree w/ (3) 100%. obviously, it would be great to win every game handily, but the next best thing is a win that feels like a loss in some way. one of the obvious results of early season losses the last two years is the coaches getting in the players' asses (and probably leach getting in the coaches' asses a little bit too), and the team getting better. i would think that a game like this would still provide a lot of motivation without the stink of losing a winnable game.

Leach thought the defense played well. O-linemen don't tackle. :p

Forgot to mention that Leach also took himself and the coaches to task for poor coaching. Good for him.

If you all haven't listened to it, you need to. Some pretty (harsh but) funny stuff. Like if you took the strongest WSU lineman and the weakest BSU lineman and locked them in a room, all that would be left of ours would be a grease spot.

Leach thought the defense played well. O-linemen don't tackle. :p

Forgot to mention that Leach also took himself and the coaches to task for poor coaching. Good for him.

If you all haven't listened to it, you need to. Some pretty (harsh but) funny stuff. Like if you took the strongest WSU lineman and the weakest BSU lineman and locked them in a room, all that would be left of ours would be a grease spot.
That is funny. Was he asked about his home in Florida?

What whiners and why is that harsh?

How would you suggest the line coach get them ready in a faster manner? There could be a ton of scenarios. One, simple match up problems. Two, the previous week did nothing to show us if they were ready for major competition or not. Three, they are probably going against the scout teams daily and have a scrimmage or two that might include some ones versus ones.

The MSU game taught us nothing about the speed of college football, or the physical ability. You cant have 100 Mike Leach's or Peyton Pelluer's on a team. There are kids who take a play off, or try to take a weight lifting session off. Not everyone is that A type personality that you live and breath being the best 24/7. That is why Leach takes the approach he does and he reminds them they have more to give.

As to thinking of where complacency has been drilled out of them is nonsense. The players are human. But what is ingrained in them (and not the Boise QB) is how to make game winning plays. Sometimes luck is involved. But you better be prepared to take advantage of luck when it presents itself. You couldn't have a better way to win that game for this season and the future.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT