ADVERTISEMENT

College football and commercial breaks...

How_did_this_happen?

Hall Of Fame
Gold Member
Nov 3, 2012
I have to get this off my chest as this is a major irritation for me.

I detest watching commercials, so when I watch football games I typically change over to another game (usually a Pac-12 game or another compelling game) during WSU games I can't attend in person. I think most do this. On Saturday, there were a couple other compelling games playing during our game. Probably 80% of the time I switched over to other games there would also be a commercial break...for multiple games I switched to. No exaggeration. It was unreal.

There are too many commercial breaks. The game needs to be shortened (notwithstanding the reality of our 3OT game on Saturday). Anyone else frustrated by this?

Yes, I realize that this is what we'd call a "First World problem"...

Life is good in Wazzu land.

I assume you have a DVR, right? Just watch it in record mode, 30-45 minutes late. Skip the commercials and you're good. Eventually you'll get caught up in "live mode". One way to look at it: "the commercials pay the bills", or specifically, our facilities, coaches, etc.

I agree...

Gotta pay for those bills somehow though.

Additional piggyback on your thought. There shouldn't be a TV TO after a score and then again after kickoffs. It seems football has become more about the advertising and less about the actual game.

Not that I enjoyed not being on TV, but remember how much faster games went when it was radio only?

I assume you have a DVR, right? Just watch it in record mode, 30-45 minutes late. Skip the commercials and you're good. Eventually you'll get caught up in "live mode". One way to look at it: "the commercials pay the bills", or specifically, our facilities, coaches, etc.

Yes. I've done that many times. Usually I start the DVR one hour late and speed through halftime too. Ideally, I catch up to the live action in the last couple of minutes of the game. But those damn excessive commercials are irritating.

You mustn't watch must regular TV, because I find the fewer commercials on sporting events to be a refreshing change from the standard TV shows. Also, try becoming a soccer fan.

I detest watching commercials, so when I watch football games I typically change over to another game (usually a Pac-12 game or another compelling game) during WSU games I can't attend in person. I think most do this. On Saturday, there were a couple other compelling games playing during our game. Probably 80% of the time I switched over to other games there would also be a commercial break...for multiple games I switched to. No exaggeration. It was unreal.

There are too many commercial breaks. The game needs to be shortened (notwithstanding the reality of our 3OT game on Saturday). Anyone else frustrated by this?

Unless you prefer to watch your football in a pay per view format, I don't think this is ever going to change.

It's absurd. I don't know anything about TV ops, but I remember standing at UGA games waiting for them to wrap up TV TOs... nothing kills a buzz or a thrill like fans and players standing around for the 4th time, hands on hips, waiting for the action to resume. You have quarter breaks and halftime, injury breaks, TV timeouts, 6 actual timeouts, referee reviews, coach challenges, ejection reviews... it's gotten insane. I don't recall it being like that when I went to WSU - and both of these are live.

I've had the same situation many times, flipping through channels for a game and finding that the tube was wall to wall with ads for boner pills and car insurance.

I think the Pats-Chiefs NFL opener saw the lowest viewership in 12 years, and the NFL - as well as NCAAF live attendance has been sliding for awhile, while the % of cord-cutters skyrockets.

How long until we have jerseys with corporation names on the front and the WSU logo on the back?...similar to the approach that soccer has taken for many years.

as bad as they are to watch on TV, its even more insufferable to experience live. All that down time, teams standing around, no chance to gain momentum. Plus 4 hour games that DON'T go to overtime. Its really bad.

Reactions: Cougzz
It's absurd. I don't know anything about TV ops, but I remember standing at UGA games waiting for them to wrap up TV TOs... nothing kills a buzz or a thrill like fans and players standing around for the 4th time, hands on hips, waiting for the action to resume. You have quarter breaks and halftime, injury breaks, TV timeouts, 6 actual timeouts, referee reviews, coach challenges, ejection reviews... it's gotten insane. I don't recall it being like that when I went to WSU - and both of these are live.

I've had the same situation many times, flipping through channels for a game and finding that the tube was wall to wall with ads for boner pills and car insurance.

I think the Pats-Chiefs NFL opener saw the lowest viewership in 12 years, and the NFL - as well as NCAAF live attendance has been sliding for awhile, while the % of cord-cutters skyrockets.
I still think cord-cutting will eventually kick ESPN, Fox Sports, and the associated conferences into some kind of ala carte content access through their websites, over the kicking and screaming of the cable companies.

I like to use "Tune in" radio app on the Washington State IMG station, and then delay my DVR recording of the game about 20 seconds. Then I can watch the game and listen to Gesser and Chaz without having to listen to many of the goofball tv commentators. Unfortunately, commercials pay our bills.

as bad as they are to watch on TV, its even more insufferable to experience live. All that down time, teams standing around, no chance to gain momentum. Plus 4 hour games that DON'T go to overtime. Its really bad.

Yup. I was at the Beaver game. Seems like I spent as much time watching students dance and gesture on the video screen during breaks as I did watching football. Thank goodness for that, ha ha.

I still can't figure out why it takes so long for a decision to be made from the review of a play. It was ridiculous watching the officials watch the replays on the stadium video screen, see an obvious conclusion, then stand around for another minute or two before a decision is announced.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT