ADVERTISEMENT

Conference Champions and the idiot Playoff System

Coug-Vandal

Hall Of Fame
Jan 7, 2003
Sitting here watching the USC-UCLA game. As a UC grad I always watch this game and always root for UCLA. Yet I would like to see a Pac-12 team be in the playoffs so I'm forced to root for the dreaded U$C. If we didn't have this stupid system that works from the conceit that "informed experts" and computers can pick the 4 best teams we would actually be looking at a situation where 4 Pac-12 teams could still win the Conference Championship and the winner could advance to the national playoff. Instead we are told that only U$C can advance. Such a situation dilutes what should be the real goal (winning your conference) and turns it into a shell game. Which one of these "experts" thought that South Carolina was going to clobber Tennessee? Yet we trust them to pick the four "best teams".

When the expanded playoff begins, and every P5 conference champion gets a bid, you have to wonder if the super conference expansion talk will evaporate.

Which west coast programs would have an easier path to the playoff if they played in the B1G, SEC, or B12? Stanford and Cal can barely keep up in the current P12, and they don't sell many tickets. Yea, I know money talks, but I think their fans will overwhelmingly hate the B1G. They're not the types of programs to sell their souls in the interest of winning football games like Ohio State, USC, Michigan, Penn State, Wisconsin, etc.

WSU will eventually be phased out of top tier college football due to our revenue, but also because youth football on the West coast isn't (and won't ever) keep up with the Midwest, Southwest, and Southeast. What's I'm hoping for though is for the current P10 schools stick together for the next 5 years and see how the new playoff format looks.

Reactions: Cougini5591
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT