ADVERTISEMENT

Congrats to Cammon Cooper...

79COUG

Hall Of Fame
Gold Member
Nov 19, 2008
and the entire Lehi team. Won the Utah state championship. Cooper accounted for 7 touchdowns directly or indirectly.
He's expected to sign in the early signing period and enroll in the spring.

I normally try to avoid getting too pumped up about high school kids that we haven't seen compete at the NCAA level, but I think WSU wins a Pac-12 championship with this guy running the offense.

Reactions: Slowmotionjones
I think cam will be very good... but I still think its Hilinksi's team for the next two years (barring injury). People seem to forget that Tyler was also a 4 star QB. Its not like he's a scrub. And he SHOULD have a better grasp of the offense than an incoming freshman. I'm excited to see what Hilinski can do. He's got a very good arm and the ability to create plays with his legs. If he can cut down on the INTs, he could be special.

Reactions: M-I-Coug
I think cam will be very good... but I still think its Hilinksi's team for the next two years (barring injury). People seem to forget that Tyler was also a 4 star QB. Its not like he's a scrub. And he SHOULD have a better grasp of the offense than an incoming freshman. I'm excited to see what Hilinski can do. He's got a very good arm and the ability to create plays with his legs. If he can cut down on the INTs, he could be special.
who's saying he'll supplant hilinski? seems to me that if he's as good as advertised, the timing works out perfectly. he redshirts next season and is a rs frosh back-up during hilinski's sr year. at that point, it's between him and the alleged bully/perv from medford.

and the entire Lehi team. Won the Utah state championship. Cooper accounted for 7 touchdowns directly or indirectly.
He's expected to sign in the early signing period and enroll in the spring.
Looked it up. Wow! 55-17. Saying that they won the state championship is putting it mildly. They crushed it. Cammon had five passing td's and two more running. If he is not the best HS QB in the country as Biggs' source believes then he is assuredly in the conversation.

Reactions: 79COUG
I like the fact that Utah football people have called him easily the best QB ever to come out of the Utah. Always nice to see improvement.

Reactions: Cougzz
who's saying he'll supplant hilinski? seems to me that if he's as good as advertised, the timing works out perfectly. he redshirts next season and is a rs frosh back-up during hilinski's sr year. at that point, it's between him and the alleged bully/perv from medford.

There are a lot of folks on the Cougs Facebook group that are ready to anoint Cammon as the next great WSU QB before he even steps foot on campus. Maybe not so much on this forum. I feel like a lot of folks are looking at Tyler as a Matt Kegel type gap filler. I think Tyler is an NFL QB. Good size. Good arm. Mobility. And I trust Leach to teach him to not take as many risks.

On another note, has anyone watched Cammon's junior year highlights. I find it amusing that the very first highlight is a terrible throw that should have been picked off but the defender misses and it end up going for a TD... not really a highlight in my opinion. I am excited for him to be a Coug though. He is clearly very talented.

I agree that the QB job is going to be Hilinski's to lose. Barring huge struggles by others on the team, Cooper will not see the field until 2020 (at the earliest). I still can see us having a great team when Cooper is an upperclassman.

a lot of folks have compared Tyler to Halliday. I think the big difference is maturity. Halliday was his own worst enemy and had a terrible attitude. I don't get that impression from Hilinski.

a lot of folks have compared Tyler to Halliday. I think the big difference is maturity. Halliday was his own worst enemy and had a terrible attitude. I don't get that impression from Hilinski.
Same feelings from me. I noticed that in the Boise State game when Tyler went to the sidelines that the other players met with him with big smiles and gave him a hug or at least a pat on the back. When Halliday hit the sidelines he ended up by himself. Cannot speak as to the maturity issue but it seems that the other players gravitate to Hilinski a lot more than Halliday's teammates did to him. Those who see some Halliday in Hilinski are in my opinion only considering the arms and the "gunslinger" mentality. Fair enough but after that I see nothing similar at all. As you have hinted, the "between the ears" aspect of the game is important too.

Same feelings from me. I noticed that in the Boise State game when Tyler went to the sidelines that the other players met with him with big smiles and gave him a hug or at least a pat on the back. When Halliday hit the sidelines he ended up by himself. Cannot speak as to the maturity issue but it seems that the other players gravitate to Hilinski a lot more than Halliday's teammates did to him. Those who see some Halliday in Hilinski are in my opinion only considering the arms and the "gunslinger" mentality. Fair enough but after that I see nothing similar at all. As you have hinted, the "between the ears" aspect of the game is important too.
1. Halliday was still throwing at least 2 boneheaded picks per game as a senior 2. Halliday threw off his presnap read on almost every throw, partly out of impatience/belief in his arm and partly out of self-preservation. Hilinsky will have better protection and a better running game (remember Boobie and Harrington return) 3. Hilinsky makes plays with his feet far more effectively than any Air Raid QB we've had, already. 4. Hilinsky, as mentioned above, seems to be a much better teammate. That will matter next year as he makes mistakes and matures.

I guarantee you one thing about WSU football while Hilinsky is quarterbacking it. It will not, NOT, be boring. We'll win some and we'll lose some next year, but we won't be boring. And in 2019, with experienced receivers and a senior center with him, watch out. If the young backs emerge, the offense will be just fine. And I'm not that worried about the defense being terrible if Grinch stays and the D-line shakes out ok. My biggest concern for next year, and it's not close, is the damn kicking game.

Reactions: brettcraycraft51

Yeah Hillinski strikes me as a guy who will learn and carry himself a lot better. They are similar, but I think Hillinski has a much better attitude.

Regardless of whether it's appropriate or not to compare the two, Hilinksi needs to do 3 things that Connor never fully embraced:

1). The team doesn't have to ride on his arm exclusively. It's ok to run the ball 30% of the time.

2). Don't take mistakes and criticism personally and make them worse by letting your emotions impact your play, often leading to other mistakes.

3). It's ok to throw the ball away. Your arm isn't as good as you think it is and an incompletion is better than a turnover or sack. However, don't throw a pick to avoid a sack.

Connor got better at #3 as a senior, but he still forced the ball on occasion and these are three things that make Falk a far better QB than Halliday was. (Falk has struggled with the sack part this year though)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT