ADVERTISEMENT

Coug raid thoughts

chugspig

Hall Of Fame
Nov 5, 2011
I’ve heard it said it’s necessary to continue on the air raid-ish path both because we have the personnel for it and it’s unique in terms of attracting talent/defending against for opposing coaches.

Is this true anymore? Do we really have “air raid” personnel. Outside of Cam Ward, what’s the difference to the 80% of the new guys who will be playing on our offense. And is it really that novel or confusing to opposing coaches anymore? Oregon St doesn’t have to run air raid to gain yards or have a unique scheme to recruit players. Why do we need to be stuck on that scheme? We gotten less and less explosive year over year. Seems a change may not be the worst thing.

I love what Oregon State has done....and they did this with what amounts to their 3rd string QB.

Oregon State was patient with Smith ..and it paid off.

As far as the Coug Raid, I saw what they were trying to do in the spring and hated it. Every other play was an fing wr screen or swing pass.

I don't think the air raid gives much opportunity for YAC compared to the run and shoot since the whole field is not attacked. Last year we had quite a bit of YAC.

I get the argument that there has been a huge drop off in talent .. especially at the online...but we saw what they were trying to do in spring ball...and it a ton of stupid wr screens.

Also Smith has Ohio University as the #1 offense in the conference in his first year. That will look good on his resume

It’s a terrible scheme to recruit to. It is a QB centric offense. If he has a bad night, you lose. No one else can carry the load. He is the only player with any stats.

The ball is distributed to too many players. The backs never get going cause they don’t get enough carries. The receivers never get going cause the receptions are spread too thin. None of your perimeter players will have any kind of stats.

Now go recruit. You’ll never attract the ball carrier you need cause they wanna run the ball. Sorry, 8 carries per game isnt gonna attract consistent kids. You’ll never get high end receivers cause they wanna catch the ball. Seeing a boxscore with 8-10 diff receivers doesn’t look good to kids wanting to make plays.

Until the air raid coaches wake up and put an end to the screens & swings and actually run the ball… the air raid is not gonna win league titles. It’s the new wishbone.

I thought Darrell Bevel loved screen passes....then I met Eric Morris. Yikes. Nothing like getting your 160 lb wr killed w a screen pass.

Reactions: chipdouglas
It’s a terrible scheme to recruit to. It is a QB centric offense. If he has a bad night, you lose. No one else can carry the load. He is the only player with any stats.

The ball is distributed to too many players. The backs never get going cause they don’t get enough carries. The receivers never get going cause the receptions are spread too thin. None of your perimeter players will have any kind of stats.

Now go recruit. You’ll never attract the ball carrier you need cause they wanna run the ball. Sorry, 8 carries per game isnt gonna attract consistent kids. You’ll never get high end receivers cause they wanna catch the ball. Seeing a boxscore with 8-10 diff receivers doesn’t look good to kids wanting to make plays.

Until the air raid coaches wake up and put an end to the screens & swings and actually run the ball… the air raid is not gonna win league titles. It’s the new wishbone.

I like the true concept of it if it is adhered to...but yeah if the qbs girlfriend is dating the drummer it can be a problem.

Trying to go 80 yds by throwing underneath routes might work in Texas at the high school level...but not in the Pac 12...which Morris was not ready for

Also Smith has Ohio University as the #1 offense in the conference in his first year. That will look good on his resume

You do realize he’s NOT Ohio’s Offensive Coordinator nor is he their Co-Offensive Coordinator?? Those spots are two other guys. And they don’t run the Run & Shoot.

No, you didn’t know that did you……

Last edited:
Reactions: PINGDUDE4
I thought Darrell Bevel loved screen passes....then I met Eric Morris. Yikes. Nothing like getting your 160 lb wr killed w a screen pass.
Bevell...

1st & 10: run up the middle stuffed at the LOS
2nd & 10: QB sack for -9 yards
3rd & 19: run up the middle for 4
4th & 15: punt

Can switch out 2nd or 3rd with a bubble screen for +2

Reactions: justinbgocougs
You do realize he’s NOT Ohio’s Offensive Coordinator nor is he their Co-Offensive Coordinator?? Those sports anre two other guys. And they don’t run the Run & Shoot.

No, you didn’t know that did you……
I'm sorry Chris....I don't have the time time on my hands that you apparently do to know all things Ohio University football

If you are a small underfunded team with less talent, you don’t want to go with a talent on talent scheme. You have to have a scheme that leverages your less talented roster. This is why service academies run the option.

the air raid was designed for this and works well to defeat bigger, faster more talented programs. There are many variations, you can run more out of it, you can add H backs and tight ends.

same idea, defensively a 3-3-5 is a great defense if you aren’t a program that can get the coveted blue chip D lineman. miss State defense was very good in the sec this year running that scheme. There’s a guy down at SDSU that is doing even better than Arnett did running it.

I mean, if you're going to post about it, it's usually good to have some idea what you're talking about.

Well if you go back and read my post, the part about him having Ohio U at the top of their conference in the first year is pretty much an afterthought and not the basis of the argument.

If you remove that from my post, doesn't change the fact that our scheme was better last year or that we threw a ton of wr screens in the spring scrimmage and we all saw how that worked out this year.

Beside the point I know, but didn't Oklahoma win multiple national titles back in the day with the wishbone?

Tennessee runs a version of the air raid and it was about the hottest offense in the country. It still works very well and teams all over the place run it. Minshew looked pretty good running it in 2018, it didn’t go extinct in the last four years.

Reactions: spongeandshoot
It limits coaching pools and the concept is not novel anymore. Any decent OC can incorporate air raid plays or principles into their scheme. I think it’s a constricting way to go to only look at guys who have played in or coached under air raid guys. That’s what I hope Dickert realizes.

Reactions: BiggsCoug
Tennessee runs a version of the air raid and it was about the hottest offense in the country. It still works very well and teams all over the place run it. Minshew looked pretty good running it in 2018, it didn’t go extinct in the last four years.

But Tennessee attacks the field vertically. They reminded me of the Art Briles version.

They also ran the ball

Reactions: 425cougfan
But Tennessee attacks the field vertically. They reminded me of the Art Briles version.

They also ran the ball
Yeah, he's from the Leach tree but the offense is called the Veer and Shoot, although I don't see a lot of Veer in it at this point. It's most like what Briles was doing but with additional formations (narrow and wide), more running, RPO, creating mismatches all over the place ... I'm completely fine with the Air Raid tree if we can get someone innovating like this. Not like what Morris was doing.

Reactions: spongeandshoot
a Lot of this personnel. Hooker Has mobility. Miss State qb Rogers has a terrible weak arm and is immobile. The qb Leach just signed Parson is a guy who can run. He was moving in that direction.
you tailor the offense to your personnel.

ADVERTISEMENT