ADVERTISEMENT

"Cougar Collective'" NIL website....raises questions...

M-I-Coug

Hall Of Fame
Oct 13, 2002
Mercer Island
I'm starting a new thread.

And that makes me think of the supposedly "official" COUGAR NIL WEBSITE and the guy who's running it.

First. "Cougar Collective". Bad name.
Second. Weak website.
Third. Bad approach. Meaning that he posted a horrible solicitation on Die Hard Cougs, and it didn't go well.
Fourth: No financial transparency on how it handles money.

Someone needs to come in with a better site, a better name which motivate both fans and corporate to step up, give and donate. This website does not make you feel compelled to step up.

I just wasn't impressed with this website and the name given. We can do better than this. Now that's just me. We're all different, and that's why they sell Subaru's.

Also, on their website, under "About Cougar Collective". Nothing about Financial Accountability. Who's in charge? Who's running it? Is this a paid side gig? Is this a paid full time gig? Is he 100% volunteer?
What percentage of money goes to the cause, to the athletes?

Did you know that 96% of every $1.00 received goes directly to the cause of The Salvation Army. Only .06 cents goes to overhead.

How do we know this guy will be ethical at handling money? What if he's another Tim Eyman type of guy?
Why isn't the website transparent on where the money is going, what percentage pays for overhead, and who is this guy accountable to? What about a Board? Who is the Board?

How does he physically pay the athletes? Zelle, Cash App, Venmo, Company Check? He really figures this out on his own? That's a lot of work for a solo guy.

Accounts Receivable and Accounts Payable. I highly doubt this "organization is technically real".
What's the name of their Accounting Firm?

What about providing accreditation for NIL compliance with established financial standards?

And the biggest red flag? There is no phone number on their website.

So we have a guy running the most import NIL for Cougar Football, that's not being transparent.

Just seems fishy to me.

"Cougar Collective". Really?

Not the best or catchy name.

Name Image Likeness | Cougar Collective

Cougar Collective is Name, Image, Likeness – Businesses partnering with WSU Student Athletes to help connect, educate and support navigating NIL deals.
www.cougarcollective.org
www.cougarcollective.org

Last edited:
Reactions: KRUSTYtheCOUG
Pretty sure it's run by Jed Collins.
Jed's a great guy, runs a wealth management company, based in Seattle. Stepped down off of Cougar Ian Furness show and Brink on KJR to spend more time on his wealth management business.

Is this a conflict of interest, or a lead generation avenue for Jed, or both?

A wealth management business owner running the so called, "official" NIL money site for COUGAR FOOTBALL?

Does this have the appearance of a conflict of interest?

I think this group did what they did to get this propped up. Jed, Robbie, and other guys are running with this.

And, if someone has a better idea, start it. I know these guys are doing this because they were asked too. Like anything, things will evolve.

Jed's a great guy, runs a wealth management company, based in Seattle. Stepped down off of Cougar Ian Furness show and Brink on KJR to spend more time on his wealth management business.

Is this a conflict of interest, or a lead generating avenue for Jed, or both?

A wealth management business owner running the so called, "official" NIL money site for COUGAR FOOTBALL?

Does this have the appearance of a conflict of interest?
MI...this is a serious question. Do you think SC, UW and Rin Crockett, CU, Miami on and on care about what the website or name is? They just need a dump to where you remove your money from your account and transfer to them.

NIL happening so fast by the time we "perfect" our website, show fiduciary responsibility, is Jed Collins profiting from it we will have gone through three classes.

It is simple. Do Cougs and their fans want to participate in NIL or not. My guess the answer is no in terms of the fans, and thus it would be smart to move to another conference.

Jed's running it. He was the only person that saw what NIL was going to become and is taking it on mostly by himself. Like the majority of things with Cougar Athletics, fans complain more than they donate,. You just came up with a ton of reasons why you hate instead of just looking at the basic reason why it's created, to support all of Wazzu athletics. They are only asking $18.90 a month to try and keep Wazzu competitive. People are conflictive with donating to something like this because there is no guarantee that players will stick around even they get paid. I get that, but if we are just going to complain about the name of it or the webpage design, then people aren't that serious getting involved.

I have no clue the ins and outs of it, but I don't think somebody is taking a 6 figures to run this site. I think Jed and Robbie and Jack are the main characters in this and just trying to keep Wazzu out of going to the Wulff years. But with how the Portal and with NIL, Wazzu isn't really going to be able to compete much longer.

I think this group did what they did to get this propped up. Jed, Robbie, and other guys are running with this.

And, if someone has a better idea, start it. I know these guys are doing this because they were asked too. Like anything, things will evolve.
Totally get it. They hit the ground running as fast as they could. But that was 18 months ago.

You would think by now, you could put a phone number, who the Board of Directors are, the Accounting Firm, and their financial accreditation and financial standards on their website?

Who feels comfortable donating one-time, or monthly, (if you're not Brad Brotherton) sitting at home, in your pajamas, (the average fan)...not really knowing how safe the transfer of your hard earned money is?

18 months is too long to not have an improved website being transparent and disclosing this.

Reactions: justinbgocougs
Totally get it. They hit the ground running as fast as they could. But that was 18 months ago.

You would think by now, you could put a phone number, who the Board of Directors are, the Accounting Firm, and their financial accreditation and financial standards on their website?

Who feels comfortable donating one-time, or monthly, (if you're not Brad Brotherton). sitting at your home, an average fan...not really knowing how safe you're hard earned money is?

18 months is too long to not have an improved website disclosing this.
Again, do you think people at Montlake or USC care or do they just donate? My guess it is the latter.

Again, do you think people at Montlake or USC care or do they just donate? My guess it is the latter.
I think it's a personal relationship business. Big donors have relationships with the system and its people.

The question is, will the average fan, sitting in your pajamas at home, commit to an electronic ACH transfer of $18.90 or $50 a month to a weak website, that doesn't feel official?

If someone creates something better, we'll see increased donations. But the website right now, does not exhibit confidence with the average donor.

I think it's a personal relationship business. Big donors have relationships with the system and its people.

The question is, will the average fan, sitting in your pajamas at home, commit to an electronic ACH transfer of $18.90 or $50 a month to a weak website, that doesn't feel official?

If someone creates something better, we'll see increased donations. But the website right now, does not exhibit confidence with the average donor.
Well there you said it best....average donor. We will be an average or below average team the duration of NIL and portal as it exists or until the NCAA makes changes.

If the average person doesn't know Jack Thompson, robbie Tobeck etc my guess is tha they don't know or care about NIL...which I suspect many don't.

And that makes me think of the supposedly "official" COUGAR NIL WEBSITE and the guy who's running it.

Second. Weak website.
Third. Bad approach. Meaning that he posted a horrible solicitation on Die Hard Cougs, and it didn't go well.

Someone needs to come in with a better site, a better name which motivate both fans and corporate to step up, give and donate. This website does not make you feel compelled to step up.

I just wasn't impressed with this website and the name given. We can do better than this. Now that's just me. We're all different, and that's why they sell Subaru's.

Also, on their website, under "About Cougar Collective". Nothing about Financial Accountability. Who's in charge? Who's running it? Is this a paid side gig? Is this a paid full time gig? Is he 100% volunteer?

Did you know that 96% of every $1.00 received goes directly to the cause of The Salvation Army. Only .06 cents goes to overhead.

How do we know this guy will be ethical at handling money? What if he's another Tim Eyman type of guy?
Why isn't the website transparent on where the money is going, what percentage pays for overhead, and who is this guy accountable to? What about a Board? Who is the Board?

How does he physically pay the athletes? Zelle, Cash App, Venmo, Company Check? He really figures this out on his own? That's a lot of work for a solo guy.

Accounts Receivable and Accounts Payable. I highly doubt this "organization is technically real".

What about providing accreditation for NIL compliance with established financial standards?

So we have a guy running the most import NIL for Cougar Football, that's not being transparent.

Just seems fishy to me.

Cougar Collective is Name, Image, Likeness – Businesses partnering with WSU Student Athletes to help connect, educate and support navigating NIL deals.
www.cougarcollective.org
www.cougarcollective.org
So, basically on brand with everything Cougar football. Makes perfect sense to me.

• Haha
Reactions: justinbgocougs
MI...this is a serious question. Do you think SC, UW and Rin Crockett, CU, Miami on and on care about what the website or name is? They just need a dump to where you remove your money from your account and transfer to them.

NIL happening so fast by the time we "perfect" our website, show fiduciary responsibility, is Jed Collins profiting from it we will have gone through three classes.

It is simple. Do Cougs and their fans want to participate in NIL or not. My guess the answer is no in terms of the fans, and thus it would be smart to move to another conference.

That's fine for Miami to be able to DUMP that money into quicksite.

But WSU needs a PROFESSIONAL looking website, and needs to MARKET, MANAGE,COORDINATE, ORGANIZE EFFECTIVELY, so that they can get the $100k type of money that was given to Cam Ward, from the Bledsoe, corporate, business, former players, Alumni types, because those types usually, except for Cam Ward, don't usually give to a UNPROFESSIONAL WEBSITE, MANAGEMENT, ETC.

To your other point, No Coug Fans don't want to or won't give to NIL.

BUT Bledsoe, Corporate type, Businesses will, which is why Drew Timme is doing the Northern Quest Ads.

Only PROFESSIONALITY lands that type of thing.

That's fine for Miami to be able to DUMP that money into quicksite.

But WSU needs a PROFESSIONAL looking website, and needs to MARKET, MANAGE,COORDINATE, ORGANIZE EFFECTIVELY, so that they can get the $100k type of money that was given to Cam Ward, from the Bledsoe, corporate, business, former players, Alumni types, because those types usually, except for Cam Ward, don't usually give to a UNPROFESSIONAL WEBSITE, MANAGEMENT, ETC.

To your other point, No Coug Fans don't want to or won't give to NIL.

BUT Bledsoe, Corporate type, Businesses will, which is why Drew Timme is doing the Northern Quest Ads.

Only PROFESSIONALITY lands that type of thing.
Also, they need a full time employee to work the NIL, work the phones. Look at all of the potential not coming in, because I would assume, anybody associated with "Cougar Collective" is not drawing a salary, and not working the phones diligently, on a daily basis.

Reactions: mikalalas

Second. Weak website.

Just seems fishy to me.

www.cougarcollective.org
www.cougarcollective.org
Yeah - agree with everything you say (and my Subaru just hit 208,000 miles, just getting broken in).

The website is a piece of crap. Really pathetic.
If Cougs are running this thing, get your faces front and center on the home page.

Edit - trolled the website farther and this is a Brand X affiliated thing. But the whole thing is a bunch of glossed over BS. The Cam Ward deal? I would want my money back.

Edward R. Murrow must be rolling over in his grave if this is the best product WSU can put out, IMHO.

Last edited:
Reactions: M-I-Coug
Yeah - agree with everything you say (and my Subaru just hit 208,000 miles, just getting broken in).

The website is a piece of crap. Really pathetic.
If Cougs are running this thing, get your faces front and center on the home page.
The website for something like this should drive organizations to a person. I don’t think it should even have a donation form, it should have a “have someone contact me” form. If they get to the website, they’ve already thought about donating - so you want to upsell them and get more than they planned on.

More importantly, this isn’t something to sit back on and wait for people to come to the website. There needs to be an organization full of staff who are on the phones and on the roads drumming up interest.

Of course, this is an organization that’s been missing for years - an effective fundraising arm that could bring in money for naming rights, facilities, scholarships, etc. WSU has never had that, and there’s really no reason to believe they’re going to suddenly develop it now.

ADVERTISEMENT