ADVERTISEMENT

Damn TCU

WASH ST A&M FAN

Head Coach
Sep 4, 2002
Cougs lose out on 4* Sumner LB to the Purple Frogs.

Odd, when Dykes was at Cal, WSU and Bears were in on many of the same kids.

Now, it seems he's still doing the same while at TCU.

I think at least two kids late last year that might have been Coug leans went to Fort Worth

Yes, not only Dykes is there, but also Russell. I doubt Russell is waging some kind of well-planned, purposeful campaign to screw with Leach, but it wouldn't surprise me to hear that he was having a little bit of fun pulling these WSU targets and, most likely, doing a hell of a lot of negative recruiting.

I think at least two kids late last year that might have been Coug leans went to Fort Worth

It is interesting that they come to Washington when they already are in a talent rich state. Two things: One, it still is only a verbal Two, they Cougars will find another linebacker just as talented.

It is interesting that they come to Washington when they already are in a talent rich state. Two things: One, it still is only a verbal Two, they Cougars will find another linebacker just as talented.

Some "in state" prospects are transplants. Several years ago, Nebraska took one of the best linemen in the state because his family had strong Nebraska roots. Regional roots do not appear to be a factor in Ben Wilson's case, but they do come into play here and there.

I wonder what is compelling about TCU vs staying in the PNW?

He's the best middle linebacker in the country. There isn't anyone else like him to get.

I am a big believer in NW kids staying in the NW. This is why...

How many QBs have started for SC that weren't from Southern California??? I can think of 2. Otton and Browne.

Now, what happens if things are going south??? Much harder to bench the QB from Mission Viejo HS. At SC you're gonna need that school down the road. No way you can just drop a kid to save your coaching job and expect to walk into that high school and not look like a jerk. UCLA is happy to take the 4 star kids.

I have no doubt that if both the Skyline HS qbs had stayed in the NW they both would've been starters or at the very least been treated with much more respect. It makes me upset to see local talent leave the NW only to wind up getting screwed at that school.

How many QBs have started for SC that weren't from Southern California??? I can think of 2. Otton and Browne.

Now, what happens if things are going south??? Much harder to bench the QB from Mission Viejo HS. At SC you're gonna need that school down the road. No way you can just drop a kid to save your coaching job and expect to walk into that high school and not look like a jerk. UCLA is happy to take the 4 star kids.

I have no doubt that if both the Skyline HS qbs had stayed in the NW they both would've been starters or at the very least been treated with much more respect. It makes me upset to see local talent leave the NW only to wind up getting screwed at that school.

I'm not suggesting you're saying Otton got screwed, but the former Tumwater standout won a Rose Bowl while at USC. He did have a disappointing senior year (6-6, disappointing for USC: a crowning achievement that never came for The Turd), but he then get two years in the NFL after that. It's just too bad Price opted for Chad Davis instead of Otton in 1994.

He's the best middle linebacker in the country. There isn't anyone else like him to get.

He's rated No. 1 at his position in the state by at least one service, but I don't believe he cracks the top 12 nationally. Many suggest he needs to improve his speed, although he has that prototypical ILB look. The speed factor might be why the UW passed on him. We used to get in-state guys like this, guys who felt slighted by the UW and wanted to make the mutts pay for it.

I wonder what is compelling about TCU vs staying in the PNW?

Without suggesting any of this is accurate, it doesn't take a lot of imagination to imagine Russell and Dykes talking about how they spent time on the west coast and it just "wasn't like it is in Texas," talking about Texas / the South being the epicenter of football and taking it more seriously, and, as I alluded to, spewing out whatever negatives they could about the west coast, WSU, Berkeley (in Dykes' case), etc. Yes, our coaches can counter all of that BS if given the chance, but I would think some of it would be pretty powerful. All programs have some real or imagined weak spots and/or dirty laundry, so I can only imagine what someone with an axe to grind like Russell is saying about Leach, WSU, etc., both generally and in comparison to his current stop.

Yet, it sure feels like Western Washington is the hardest place for the Cougs to recruit.

Yet, it sure feels like Western Washington is the hardest place for the Cougs to recruit.

Win. Then keep winning. Show recruits that your school can provide bowl games every year. If you do that and the kids still won't come... make 1 pass thru the state to talk to coaches and kids, then on to Southern California.

At some point if you've held up your end of the bargain and if kids just don't want to come, you remove the opportunity. Be up front with high school coaches. Tell them you've offered XYZ amount of local kids and they chose somewhere else. At what point do you fish in another pond? If they want their kids to have local offers, their kids need to go to local schools.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT