ADVERTISEMENT

D'Angelo McKenzie

Fab5Coug

Hall Of Fame
Nov 10, 2007
Freshman safety transferring. Bummer, he was one I was excited about. That's two fairly highly recruited commits from last year transferring out mid way through their first year.

A testament to our depth perhaps, but still disappointing to see kids transfer out that quickly.

Again, strange timing considering our success this year, and bowl season approaching quickly.

I have no idea on the circumstances, but he was heavily recruited out of HS. He even had an offer from Notre Dame.

Freshman safety transferring. Bummer, he was one I was excited about. That's two fairly highly recruited commits from last year transferring out mid way through their first year.

A testament to our depth perhaps, but still disappointing to see kids transfer out that quickly.
The coaches just didn’t know how to utilize his talents

85 scholarship players, about 48 guys play in any game, 22 start, 11 on the field at a time. And patience is no longer a virtue.

Reactions: taf88

Rose bowl swag must really suck anymore.

I'm not shedding too many tears over a Fr who values PT over winning.

Maybe it was more work than he anticipated. Maybe he felt overwhelmed. Maybe he is home sick . Maybe Pullman never grew on him. It is interesting with all the feel good stuff going on the kids leave right in the middle of it . I take it he has turned in his gear and playbook .

Rose bowl swag must really suck anymore.

I'm not shedding too many tears over a Fr who values PT over winning.

Maybe he just didn't see how he was ever going to beat out Tyrese Ross, Halid Djibril, Ronald Nunn, Myles Green-Richards, and Kedron Williams? And the funny thing is, Leach et al will continue bringing in equally if not more talented players in the next class and beyond. Yes, this runs counter to the narrative that the 2014 class attrition produced a 9-1 disaster this season...

Playing time is never guaranteed.
CML makes people earn their spot.
Transfers will happen with a lot of schools.
Let him move on and not become a negative to a winning team.

Reactions: Cougatron
Maybe he just didn't see how he was ever going to beat out Tyrese Ross, Halid Djibril, Ronald Nunn, Myles Green-Richards, and Kedron Williams? And the funny thing is, Leach et al will continue bringing in equally if not more talented players in the next class and beyond. Yes, this runs counter to the narrative that the 2014 class attrition produced a 9-1 disaster this season...

I didn’t know those players you just mentioned were class of 2014. You know what was weird, 1994 was a horrible class in hindsight yet we went to a Rose Bowl in 1998.

I didn’t know those players you just mentioned were class of 2014. You know what was weird, 1994 was a horrible class in hindsight yet we went to a Rose Bowl in 1998.

But that isn't your narrative. Nice try to back away from it, E.D.

Since you know my narrative please explain .

Yes, playing stupid comes easily for you. Of course you do not want to own up to your well-established contention that the 2014 attrition is akin to the 1994 attrition, which led to the first-to-worst disaster called the 1998 season (your words/reasoning). By extension, you contended 2018 would be 1998 all over again. You were wrong, just as you were wrong when you stupidly predicted the 2009-2010 classes would reproduce 2001-2003. Just as you were wrong in anointing Ken Bone as superior to TB.
Anyway, run along now, E.D., and continue this laughable record of idiocy.

Yes, playing stupid comes easily for you. Of course you do not want to own up to your well-established contention that the 2014 attrition is akin to the 1994 attrition, which led to the first-to-worst disaster called the 1998 season (your words/reasoning). By extension, you contended 2018 would be 1998 all over again. You were wrong, just as you were wrong when you stupidly predicted the 2009-2010 classes would reproduce 2001-2003. Just as you were wrong in anointing Ken Bone as superior to TB.

Can you guys keep this shit confined to one thread please? There's already a pointless "Where's Ed" thread. Take it there. This is supposed to be about a player transferring.

I think we need to be a little careful bagging on a guy when we don't actually know the reason he's transferring. We always assume it's because he got beat out for PT, but it could be a number of things.

Grades and buried on the depth chart are usually the most common factors. I often find the "homesick" excuse more of an issue with a student, or student athlete not doing well in either school, the sport, or both. It's an easy/convenient excuse for them not personally doing well. 9 times out of 10 these kids that transfer never really do much at the new school(s), even at lesser programs.

You are right though, there are tons of reasons for kids leaving, and sometimes it's a combination of a lot of factors: Grades, playing time/depth chart, college is hard, being a student athlete is even harder, undisclosed injuries or an injury, a medical condition, you aren't "the shit" anymore like on your HS team, they fall into the social/party scene, parent's are bitter about "treatment and or playing time", coaching changes, the team sucking, "not a good fit", they break team rules, commit crimes, miss their girlfriend back home, they have a kid back home....the list goes on and on and I've heard them all over the years of following recruiting and college ball.

Reactions: Fab5Coug and taf88
Finish out the season. Finish out the semester. See what your options are and either stay or move in gracefully.

Or leave and miss out on the bowl trip, post videos of you running cones by yourself. Looks fun.

Reactions: CougEd and PatBaum
Can you guys keep this shit confined to one thread please? There's already a pointless "Where's Ed" thread. Take it there. This is supposed to be about a player transferring.
Haven't posted in that other thread.

Finish out the season. Finish out the semester. See what your options are and either stay or move in gracefully.

Or leave and miss out on the bowl trip, post videos of you running cones by yourself. Looks fun.

This may be a side effect of the early signing period. With schools filling up most of their class on Dec 19, kids have to bail early to beat the high school kids to the punch.

Another player that could be factoring in here is JC Safety Chad Davis Jr. Has solid looking size & sitting out this year should help him. He’s buddies with McDougle from Florida days, Played with Calvin Jackson At Independence CC, & his dad was a former Red Raider for Leach I think.

Another player that could be factoring in here is JC Safety Chad Davis Jr. Has solid looking size & sitting out this year should help him. He’s buddies with McDougle from Florida days, Played with Calvin Jackson At Independence CC, & his dad was a former Red Raider for Leach I think.

In watching the DBs/safeties in practice, McKenzie, while very athletic, is clearly two years away from having the bulk and strength to make an impact. Some of the others, Djibril and Ross, particularly, are already very physical.

Reactions: Cougatron and taf88
I think we need to be a little careful bagging on a guy when we don't actually know the reason he's transferring. We always assume it's because he got beat out for PT, but it could be a number of things.
Leaving mid season is highly suspect. Either he's got serious personal issues or he's trying to get on campus somewhere he thinks he can play.

Not really trying to throw shade; hope all is well for him. But if his leaving has anything to do with the TEAM not meeting HIS needs then both parties are better off, imho.

Leaving mid season is highly suspect. Either he's got serious personal issues or he's trying to get on campus somewhere he thinks he can play.

Not really trying to throw shade; hope all is well for him. But if his leaving has anything to do with the TEAM not meeting HIS needs then both parties are better off, imho.
Just as it was with Lolohea.

First, I still think that the 2014 class was a wreck. It always will be no matter what you say about it and that just happens sometimes. Leach has mentioned on numerous occasions that he has a young team this year and that's why their execution isn't as good as it can be. That need to lean on young players is directly attributable to the 2014 class producing very few guys that are producing as redshirt seniors.

The thing is, we are lucky to have a coaching staff that is finding enough of the right guys overall where one crappy recruiting class isn't the deal killer that it used to be with some of our other coaches. We are 9-1 because the coaching staff has done an incredible job of filling the gaps with young guys that can get it done well enough to win games. It's a testimony to our coaching staff and the young men that they've recruited in the mean time. The great thing is that if the young man mentioned by the OP wants to leave, I have no concern that we will continue to fill gaps as needed. The overall base is now strong enough that we can do that.

Reactions: etowncoug
I’m calling it instead of fat little girlfriend. It’s a hot little girlfriend back home.

In watching the DBs/safeties in practice, McKenzie, while very athletic, is clearly two years away from having the bulk and strength to make an impact. Some of the others, Djibril and Ross, particularly, are already very physical.

McKenzie, as I see it, is a victim of Claeys defensive philosophy. Grinch would have put Djibril and Kedron at LB, allowing McKenzie a better chance at getting on the field at safety. Claeys wants more size/speed. He's recruiting bigger LB's which is giving us more size on the back end. McKenzie doesn't seem as natural a fit for the Speed D as he was when he signed.

Gotta make way for 25 coming in.

Reactions: kougkurt
#alwayssign25

The primary reason (95% of the time) kids leave for more playing time. The kids know before anyone else if they have what it takes to be better than the competition.

Some leave and some stay and compete. There will always be attrition with an 85 man roster limit

#alwayssign25
There might be an injured player not coming back and then there's attrition. Hell, they might be under the 85 limit having given out 25. There's always been a couple of deserving walk-ons every year under Leach.

Oh good grief. How do you come up with some of this stuff. There was two conversations at first. The first one was about recruiting classes in which I called the 2014 a disaster. And yes the 2014 class was similar to 94 in terms of attrition.

Then there was a prediction thread in which I did reference why there here huge concerns for me in 2018. That class did not produce the Dlineman as they were gone via attrition one was or another. There was zero experienced INTERIOR dlineman in the program. Our starting NG saw maybe ten snaps in his career prior to 2018. Why was he not in the rotation in 2017?

I also was very clear, if the over under was 6 wins, I would have picked the under. I said with our history stubbing of our toe in non conference games that are suppose to be give me's I could see a scenario where we win 4 games. I also said if we win 7 games it would be Leach's best coaching job yet. It is not often you lose your future starter who knows the system and had some really good success the way we did, and lose five coaches to other jobs. As I told one of the posters I could see a down year. Guess what, I was wrong.

I had imperfect info. If you or others would have told me Minshew a career best 58% passer would elevate his game to a 69% passer, that he would lead us to at least three 4th quarter comebacks, that he would get us out to a 27-0 lead against Oregon to nullify their running game, that every coaching position got better, and that Claeys would be a step above Grinch, I might have been a little more accurate.

What I can tell you about Minshew is he wasn't the starter until the last 4 games. Out of ECU's three wins, the other guy had two. Even a Chris Ball defense picked Minshew three times. So yeah, if you told me Minshew like no other grad transfer would play at a Heisman level (name another grad transfer that had that impact at QB..other than Russell Wilson ) then I certainly would have predicted a different outlook. You, I, nor anyone else had anything but hope. We had zero factual data that would lead us to this point.

And the funny thing is even if they took a step backwards I would have enjoyed the year and I would have known Leach would continue to win in the future.

And I have news for you, when i predict a 11-1 season next year I have a pretty decent chance of being wrong. What will you say then?

As to Bone, I said he was 'superior" to TB? Funny, the moment he was hired and announced WSU is switching their style of play I knew we had Doba 2.0. I knew at that moment WSU might be trying to fit a round peg in a square hole. Doesn't mean he isn't an outstanding coach. Just the wrong fit.

Ken Bone because of his connections in Seattle thought the kids from Beach and Garfield would follow him east. They didn't.

Tony benefited greatly because of the work his dad did. And If Bone took over with Low, Rochestie, Baynes, Cowgill instead of Hartune Witherill etc it probably would have been a different outcome. And guess what, he would still be in Pullman building on success rather than bolting as Tony did.

Know this Yaki, I will be wrong again but that won't keep me from posting.

Tony benefited greatly because of the work his dad did. And If Bone took over with Low, Rochestie, Baynes, Cowgill instead of Hartune Witherill etc it probably would have been a different outcome. And guess what, he would still be in Pullman building on success rather than bolting as Tony did.

Know this Yaki, I will be wrong again but that won't keep me from posting.
I don't need to get in the middle of this conversation, but I need to point out that when you said "....instead of Hartune, Witherill, etc." you conveniently left out Klay Thompson, DeAngelo Casto, Marcus Thames, Nick Kopravica, Abe Lodwick, Brock Motum, etc... At the very least, Klay and Casto were pretty good players to hand over to Ken Bone, don't you think?

Glad Cougar

I don't need to get in the middle of this conversation, but I need to point out that when you said "....instead of Hartune, Witherill, etc." you conveniently left out Klay Thompson, DeAngelo Casto, Marcus Thames, Nick Kopravica, Abe Lodwick, Brock Motum, etc... At the very least, Klay and Casto were pretty good players to hand over to Ken Bone, don't you think?

Glad Cougar

I didn't conveniently leave them out. Bone had Thompson's junior year team on the verge of the NCAA and the last and pivotal game was against UCLA. Did Klay play? What happened to the team after both bolted. In all of the years you have watched WSU basketball, how many players have you seen leave one year early for the NBA. How many times have you seen two leave ?

Dick B left tony with experience and good teammates. Thames checked out before Christmas break. Bone in hindsight made a bad decision trusting Moore.

Where was a Baynes, a Cowgill. Who was Low, who was Rochestie?

I didn't conveniently leave them out. Bone had Thompson's junior year team on the verge of the NCAA and the last and pivotal game was against UCLA. Did Klay play? What happened to the team after both bolted. In all of the years you have watched WSU basketball, how many players have you seen leave one year early for the NBA. How many times have you seen two leave ?

Dick B left tony with experience and good teammates. Thames checked out before Christmas break. Bone in hindsight made a bad decision trusting Moore.

What does this have to do with D'Angelo McKenzie?

And why did you feel the need to respond to Yaki's post from 3 days ago, after he had dropped it and moved on to discuss the thread topic?

Reactions: WASH ST A&M FAN
This may be a side effect of the early signing period. With schools filling up most of their class on Dec 19, kids have to bail early to beat the high school kids to the punch.

That’s a good call. Never thought of it but makes sense . Like a school getting a jump on a coach .

What does this have to do with D'Angelo McKenzie?

And why did you feel the need to respond to Yaki's post from 3 days ago, after he had dropped it and moved on to discuss the thread topic?

Didn't see it until today, and it is a bad habit of mine to clear up any miscommunication I may have had. And for some reason Yaki thinks I have an ego and it is big enough that I can't admit I was incorrect.

Probably pointless to argue with you, but THIS is what you wrote:

"And If Bone took over with Low, Rochestie, Baynes, Cowgill instead of Hartune Witherill etc it probably would have been a different outcome."

Why would you only mention two Tony recruits that didn't work out and not the recruits that were good to excellent players? Why wouldn't you mention Klay and Casto as inherited players? Both were on the all-conference newcomer team as freshmen and both played on the USA basketball U-19 Team that included the best young college players in the nation. Bone had both players for 2 years and Tony secured another very good player in Brock Motum, who Bone had for 4 years. That's not to mention the way he treated Marcus Thames in favor of his recruit, Reggie Moore. I get tired of the revisionist history that some people spew that Tony Bennett didn't leave much for Ken Bone. Is it reasonable to expect that Tony Bennett should leave a complete team of players of the caliber of Low, Rochestie, Baynes, Cowgill to the next coach? He left plenty of good building blocks, IMO. The basketball program undeniably went downhill under Bone's watch and hasn't gotten any better under Ernie Kent.

Glad Cougar

ADVERTISEMENT