ADVERTISEMENT

Defections

Hopefully this just is being leaked to try to extract some kind of preferential rev sharing with the Pac-12 (which, while it would suck, beats USC and UCLA leaving). I'm sure the Big Ten schools don't mind trips to LA that much, but it seems pretty ridiculous for USC to be playing Rutgers, Purdue, and the like in non-revenue sports. Imagine having to trek to those places for women's softball, tennis, and that kind of stuff. Will have enough $ for it with the piles of cash a mega-Big Ten could extract in media rights negotiations, though.

Time for the PAC 12 to have an emergency meeting to discuss allocation of revenues for the next two years.

USC=$0
UCLA=$0

If they lose their commitment to the rest of the schools, then the rest of the schools lose their commitment to USC and UCLA.

They realize that people still aren't going to attend games, right?

Also, this feels dirty, borderline illegal. Like the collusion is what's striking me as particularly bad.

Yeah, that seems the most likely path. It's going to be really interesting to see how some of this is navigated vis-a-vis the new Big 12 and whatever remains out west. I have to think you will see more schools (e.g., UW, Oregon) trying to go to the Big Ten as well, and depending on the extent of that, I could see a third challenger of sorts to the Big Ten and SEC that is formed from the strongest remaining Big 12 members and the strongest former Pac-12 members. I also could see those conferences just staying pretty large and inclusive on their own.

It will be tricky for WSU, obviously. I'd prefer a third leg of the stool that includes, e.g., Oklahoma State, ASU, Utah, Baylor, Arizona, and maybe even UW and Oregon, if WSU could get included, but if WSU was excluded from that, it would be better to be in some kind of successor Pac that, like the current Big 12, keeps most members even after losing the flagships.

No matter what, none of this is good news for WSU.

Yeah, that seems the most likely path. It's going to be really interesting to see how some of this is navigated vis-a-vis the new Big 12 and whatever remains out west. I have to think you will see more schools (e.g., UW, Oregon) trying to go to the Big Ten as well, and depending on the extent of that, I could see a third challenger of sorts to the Big Ten and SEC that is formed from the strongest remaining Big 12 members and the strongest former Pac-12 members. I also could see those conferences just staying pretty large and inclusive on their own.

It will be tricky for WSU, obviously. I'd prefer a third leg of the stool that includes, e.g., Oklahoma State, ASU, Utah, Baylor, Arizona, and maybe even UW and Oregon, if WSU could get included, but if WSU was excluded from that, it would be better to be in some kind of successor Pac that, like the current Big 12, keeps most members even after losing the flagships.

No matter what, none of this is good news for WSU.

I guarantee that Oregon and UW are pulling a donkey from Shrek and jumping up and down yelling, "Pick me! Pick me!".

Without the LA schools, any additions would be trivial

And if the Pac does try to survive they will most definitely have to lower their school admissions criteria.

Without the LA market, it's over the P12. Adding the likes of Oklahoma & Oklahoma State won't amount to more than a teardrop in the ocean in terms of replacing the lost LA revenues.

Without the LA market, it's over the P12. Adding the likes of Oklahoma & Oklahoma State won't amount to more than a teardrop in the ocean in terms of replacing the lost LA revenues.
Agree. I dont think the Pac (if it survives) can keep its school admission stadards. I dont see B12 school coming over. I believe UNLV would be a good get and maybe SDSU and/or Fresno, but it would not come close to loosing LA.

My belief at this time is unless the new commish can create some magic, UW, Oregon, and maybe Stanford push for the B10. The Mountian school move to the B12, unless they have a group that leave to the B10 and SEC. And the remaining Pac school join a Pac/MW hybrid.

Agree. I dont think the Pac (if it survives) can keep its school admission stadards. I dont see B12 school coming over. I believe UNLV would be a good get and maybe SDSU and/or Fresno, but it would not come close to loosing LA.

My belief at this time is unless the new commish can create some magic, UW, Oregon, and maybe Stanford push for the B10. The Mountian school move to the B12, unless they have a group that leave to the B10 and SEC. And the remaining Pac school join a Pac/MW hybrid.
UW and Oregon moving to the Big 12, I would imagine with ASU and probably Utah.

The PAC 12 will be remembered in the context as the SWC.
Once a great conference but now just a thing for old-timers to reminisce about.

The Big10, SEC, and Big12 are just placeholder names for now. We've entered the era of super conferences, and the best thing WSU can hope for is an expanded football playoff that affords their new league with a bid or two. Let the big money schools slug it out, and the WSU's, Oregon State's, Kansas's, KSU's, etc. form their own tier 2 super conference. Play the new league championship game in the Rose Bowl just for spite.

Hopefully this just is being leaked to try to extract some kind of preferential rev sharing with the Pac-12 (which, while it would suck, beats USC and UCLA leaving). I'm sure the Big Ten schools don't mind trips to LA that much, but it seems pretty ridiculous for USC to be playing Rutgers, Purdue, and the like in non-revenue sports. Imagine having to trek to those places for women's softball, tennis, and that kind of stuff. Will have enough $ for it with the piles of cash a mega-Big Ten could extract in media rights negotiations, though.
it's been confirmed per the evening news

Reactions: froropmkr72
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT