ADVERTISEMENT

Defense even better this season?

PeteTheChop

Hall Of Fame
May 25, 2005
WSU ranked 16th nationally in total defense in 2017, including 7th nationally in pass efficiency D.

Those lofty numbers look even better when taking into account the pass-happy Air Raid and CML's fondness for taking chances on fourth down.

There were some big graduation losses with Hercules Mata'afa and Frankie Luvu, but there is a lot of talent AND experience coming back.
  • All Pac-12 safety Jalen Thompson should contend for All-America honors
  • Peyton Pelluer is back for a "6th season" at linebacker, where according to one WSU media outlet the Cougs may have the best group of linebackers in the conference
  • Seniors are everywhere: Taylor Comfort (NG), Nick Begg (DT), Logan Tago (DT), Chima Onyeukwu (LB), Darrien Molton (CB), Sean Harper (CB) and Hunter Dale (S) will all play key roles
  • New defensive coordinator Tracy Claeys came to Pullman with a very solid reputation and seemed to click with the players and staff during spring practice.
If the big guys up front avoid the injury bug and Deion Singleton blossoms into the free safety recruiting gurus projected when he signed out of Pasco High in 2014, this defense should be plenty good enough to carry the load during the three non-conference games.

USC on Sept. 21 at the LA Coliseum ought to be a great measuring stick in Year 1 for Coach Claeys.

WSU ranked 16th nationally in total defense in 2017, including 7th nationally in pass efficiency D.

Those lofty numbers look even better when taking into account the pass-happy Air Raid and CML's fondness for taking chances on fourth down.

There were some big graduation losses with Hercules Mata'afa and Frankie Luvu, but there is a lot of talent AND experience coming back.
  • Peyton Pelluer is back for a "6th season" at linebacker, where according to one WSU media outlet the Cougs may have the best group of linebackers in the conference
  • Seniors are everywhere: Taylor Comfort (NG), Nick Begg (DT), Logan Tago (DT), Chima Onyeukwu (LB), Darrien Molton (CB), Sean Harper (CB) and Hunter Dale (S) will all play key roles
  • New defensive coordinator Tracy Claeys came to Pullman with a very solid reputation and seemed to click with the players and staff during spring practice.
If the big guys up front avoid the injury bug and Deion Singleton blossoms into the free safety recruiting gurus projected when he signed out of Pasco High in 2014, this defense should be plenty good enough to carry the load during the three non-conference games.

USC on Sept. 21 at the LA Coliseum ought to be a great measuring stick in Year 1 for Coach Claeys.

It all comes down to the defensive line. Unfortunately, Comfort is a guy with one career tackle and unless Grinch didn't know what he was doing.......Comfort is unlikely to suddenly be an All Pac-12 guy. At least Begg played enough to get 7 tackles, 2 TFL (including 1 sack). Oguayo is the only guy that we know that we can depend on at this point. I'm hoping that Kingston Fernandez is 100% recovered from his injury. We've got 11 guys to throw at the 3 spots on the DL and we just have to hope that they get it going.

On paper we should be stronger in the secondary and at LB since we lost very little at those positions, and we are a year older in experience.

DT is a big question mark. I think we look solid at DE, but who knows at DT.

Dallas Hobbs is intriguing at DT. Rodgers and Taylor at DE/Rush/LB is something to look out for. Derek Moore should be more productive vs last year. I think he got hurt mid season. There are others too that could potentially break out . Like Luvu last year, I'm hoping that 1-2 do the same.

BTW, thanks for starting this football thread.

On paper we should be stronger in the secondary and at LB since we lost very little at those positions, and we are a year older in experience.

Dallas Hobbs is intriguing at DT. Rodgers and Taylor at DE/Rush/LB is something to look out for. Derek Moore should be more productive vs last year. I think he got hurt mid season. There are others too that could potentially break out . Like Luvu last year, I'm hoping that 1-2 do the same.

The hope is that Logan Tago has the same kind of senior year Frankie Luvu had. And while Begg and Comfort will be in the rotation, the hope, again, is that Lolohea and Misiona Aiolupotea emerge quickly, and that Hobbs and Rodgers show up bigger and stronger (Rodgers is likely a DT). As for Fernandez, who had more offers out of HS than his fellow Hawaiian Mata'afa, he's an unknown, as is Hunter Mattox, who returned to d-line in the spring but hardly practiced due to a personal issue.
In short, there are plenty of bodies at d-tackle but are they good enough to win games? I sure as heck wasn't confident going into last season with Ekuale being the only guy 300 pounds and Tapa out for academic reasons.
Speaking of Tapa, there's still no official word on his status.

Reactions: PeteTheChop
Speaking of Tapa, there's still no official word on his status.

If Jonathan Lolohea is as good as the recruiting hype suggests and Ngalu Tapa finds his way back into the regular rotation, then the interior defensive line may be even more stout against the run than in 2017.

If HM's dynamic pass-rushing and play-making knack (22.5 TFL's!) can be somehow be replaced by committee, then that 8- or 9-win regular season looks very much within reach.

Comfort provides depth and will be a breather sub - will come in for a couple of plays here and there to allow someone else to catch their breath.

This. Exactly. Pull out your crystal ball and tell me how the DT's will turn out and I can predict the season.

Not this year no. Next year's edition however could be quite good if everything falls into place. Same applies to the offense honestly. For depth chart watchers like me these are fun years
I think the jury is still out on how bad (or good) our D will be this year. By no means is anyone expecting it to be better than last year. But it will be interesting to see how our D develops and whom is going to step up. There may not be as much drop off as some think.

It doesn't help our Dline but I'm just glad we got Pelluer back. Him AND Woods are going to tear it up... I hope.:D

It doesn't help our Dline but I'm just glad we got Pelluer back. Him AND Woods are going to tear it up... I hope.:D

I actually think having Pelluer back does help our d line in a way. Even though he's not on the D line, his best attributes are his football smarts, knowing where to be, filling the gaps, and being a sure tackler. Our young LB's played admirable last year, but they were often out of place at times, especially around the line of scrimmage where I often saw them out of place/bite on fakes, which made the line's containment often vulnerable. Pelluer strengthens that weakness.

Last time we saw a similar dynamic probably was 98. Lamont Thompson, Steve Gleason, decent secondary, new qb with zero experience, receivers fair at best, offensive line has some holes to plug, dline with no Pac 12 experience, a couple changes in the coaching staff- we will see how different it turns out.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT