ADVERTISEMENT

Dennis Erickson?

Feb 19, 2007
I would like to see Dennis Erickson end up back at Washington State. What do you guys think about that possibility?

I would like to see Dennis Erickson end up back at Washington State. What do you guys think about that possibility?
I'm not sure why in terms of a coaching capacity. He's spent a lot more time at other programs than at WSU. He was an important hire and I don't have any problem with him leaving but I'm not sure what purpose it would serve to have Erickson (Price, etc.) back other than to honor him for what he did for the program 'back in the day'.

The only way that Dennis Erickson will be on the football field at WSU will be at a halftime ceremony next year honoring the 30 year anniversary of the 1988 Aloha Bowl team. He's 170 years old and wouldn't bring anything to our program that Leach would be interested in.

Reactions: Fab5Coug
Why? I don't see that WSU benefits in any way from his return. He's 70, and past his prime. His offensive schemes are no longer innovative and new. He hasn't been a head coach in 6 years, hasn't been a successful head coach in 15. Frankly, it could be argued that he's a professional coattail rider - his best seasons have mostly come in year 1 or 2 after taking over from someone else, using the foundation that was already in place and then tailing off in year 3. The only exception was Miami, where he had a solid 6 seasons...although the first 3 were markedly better than the last 3. And, let's be honest - in the late 80s & early 90s, a monkey could have coached Miami to a bowl, especially after the move to the Big East.

The other concern is that Erickson's teams often had significant disciplinary issues. My recollection is that Akey booted 17 kids from Idaho's roster after only 1 year of Erickson, and I remember ASU having a roster of thugs and being a leader in personal fouls under him. And of course, none of the Miami teams were choir boys. I don't remember issues at OSU, but it's easier to hide in Corvallis, especially at the end of a 30-year losing streak.

I see no reason to bring him back. Honestly, I wouldn't even give him a halftime acknowledgement. Maybe he can raise the flag for a game, but I really don't see his tenure as that significant. He was only here 2 years, and capitalized on what was left from Walden. Sure, he won a bowl and arguably started the modest rise of the program into the 90s, but I'd say any positive mark he left was first exceeded by Price and then erased during the dark years of the late 2000s. Let him stay away, nobody misses him.

Why? I don't see that WSU benefits in any way from his return. He's 70, and past his prime. His offensive schemes are no longer innovative and new. He hasn't been a head coach in 6 years, hasn't been a successful head coach in 15. Frankly, it could be argued that he's a professional coattail rider - his best seasons have mostly come in year 1 or 2 after taking over from someone else, using the foundation that was already in place and then tailing off in year 3. The only exception was Miami, where he had a solid 6 seasons...although the first 3 were markedly better than the last 3. And, let's be honest - in the late 80s & early 90s, a monkey could have coached Miami to a bowl, especially after the move to the Big East.

The other concern is that Erickson's teams often had significant disciplinary issues. My recollection is that Akey booted 17 kids from Idaho's roster after only 1 year of Erickson, and I remember ASU having a roster of thugs and being a leader in personal fouls under him. And of course, none of the Miami teams were choir boys. I don't remember issues at OSU, but it's easier to hide in Corvallis, especially at the end of a 30-year losing streak.

I see no reason to bring him back. Honestly, I wouldn't even give him a halftime acknowledgement. Maybe he can raise the flag for a game, but I really don't see his tenure as that significant. He was only here 2 years, and capitalized on what was left from Walden. Sure, he won a bowl and arguably started the modest rise of the program into the 90s, but I'd say any positive mark he left was first exceeded by Price and then erased during the dark years of the late 2000s. Let him stay away, nobody misses him.
But what about the job Erickson did at Utah as Offensive Coordinator?

But what about the job Erickson did at Utah as Offensive Coordinator?
Uncle Denny was Co-offensive coordinator for only one year at Utah after which he was basically demoted to just working with RBs and given the face-saving title of Asst. head coach. Our RBs are just fine with Mastro in charge. He would not fit in.

As 95 mentions, his teams in Miami and ASU were distinguished by their thuggery and lack of discipline. Again, not a good fit with what Leach is trying to assemble in Pullman.

Uncle Denny- God bless him- is best served by enjoying his retirement. He currently brings nothing to the table for us and probably not for anyone else at this stage of his life.

I am fine with him being recognized in Martin as a former coach and receiving an ovation and all that. But as a member of the staff? No.

Reactions: earldacoug
Dennis isn't a fit with the current regime at WSU. Leach has his own system and doesn't seem much to be into the give-aging-coaches-a-place-to-retire camp. Yost is about the only one fitting that bill and he was only in his 40's. Leach is about training up the next big thing - like Holgerson or Lincoln Riley or Kingbury or whowever.

That said, Dennis Erickson deserves every possible coaching accolade and respect possible. Two nattys at Miami, taking Oregon State to the verge of a national title, even building Idaho into a power in the Big Sky - the dude is by far the most successful football coach ever to come through the Palouse - and its not even close. Talk to his ex-players. They flat out love the guy beyond words. His downfall was his love affair with Mayflower Moving and Storage taking him places he never should have ventured (SF and SEA).

I can respect what Erickson has done in his career. No question. And getting WSU to a bowl in 2 years, basically... well that's a big deal.

But I also agree with others here when they say he worked at finding places where the table was already set for him. The "coat-tails" comment, in my opinion, is accurate. And he bounced around worse that a hooker.

But I guess I'm pretty ambivalent about him. The fact he was a part of our "legends" panel over the weekend... I was pretty non-plus'ed about him. He's a previous coach that didn't show much "loyalty", so I'm not sure I can show much, myself.

He's a person in this world... That's about it for me. He's a Coug so I'll always holler, "Go Cougs" but that's it. I do that to complete strangers in the airport, too.

Regarding the initial question about him coaching again. Please no. Nothing against him, just see him leaving in a year when he see's greener pastures somewhere else. And even in the best circumstance and he's building something pretty cool... Then he leaves in the middle of it? Nope. No thanks.

Dennis isn't a fit with the current regime at WSU. Leach has his own system and doesn't seem much to be into the give-aging-coaches-a-place-to-retire camp. Yost is about the only one fitting that bill and he was only in his 40's. Leach is about training up the next big thing - like Holgerson or Lincoln Riley or Kingbury or whowever.

That said, Dennis Erickson deserves every possible coaching accolade and respect possible. Two nattys at Miami, taking Oregon State to the verge of a national title, even building Idaho into a power in the Big Sky - the dude is by far the most successful football coach ever to come through the Palouse - and its not even close. Talk to his ex-players. They flat out love the guy beyond words. His downfall was his love affair with Mayflower Moving and Storage taking him places he never should have ventured (SF and SEA).

All true...but he certainly ran a very loose operation wherever he coached.

Reactions: earldacoug
Leach needs to buy a place on Lake Cda. Then Erickson's role with WSU could be drinking buddy of Leach at the lake. Talk football and whatever else is on their minds until he retires from WSU.

I can respect what Erickson has done in his career. No question. And getting WSU to a bowl in 2 years, basically... well that's a big deal.

But I also agree with others here when they say he worked at finding places where the table was already set for him. The "coat-tails" comment, in my opinion, is accurate. And he bounced around worse that a hooker.

But I guess I'm pretty ambivalent about him. The fact he was a part of our "legends" panel over the weekend... I was pretty non-plus'ed about him. He's a previous coach that didn't show much "loyalty", so I'm not sure I can show much, myself.

He's a person in this world... That's about it for me. He's a Coug so I'll always holler, "Go Cougs" but that's it. I do that to complete strangers in the airport, too.

Regarding the initial question about him coaching again. Please no. Nothing against him, just see him leaving in a year when he see's greener pastures somewhere else. And even in the best circumstance and he's building something pretty cool... Then he leaves in the middle of it? Nope. No thanks.

If he were really offering anything worthwhile at this point I think Utah would still have him on staff.

He's gotta be 70 years old. What 70 year old man gets up in the morning ready to be a running backs coach??? Not after being the head man or calling plays anyways.

Time to get the boat out and enjoy the summer on the lake.

Reactions: Coug95man2
Leach needs to buy a place on Lake Cda. Then Erickson's role with WSU could be drinking buddy of Leach at the lake. Talk football and whatever else is on their minds until he retires from WSU.
I'm not sure I see Leach and Erickson being pals.

Cougin NCW and 95 are both right, though perhaps a bit tongue in cheek. Hard to imagine two guys more different than CML and Dennis the Menace. But that doesn't mean they couldn't enjoy a little time together. And say this for both of them, they were always happy to meet with other coaches to pick their brains. So who knows? Stranger things have happened.

As for any other role at WSU for Dennis? Fogetaboutit!

What 95coug said....... I don't see Leach & Erickson hanging out much..... but introduce some adult beverages into the mix and that could happen!

If he were really offering anything worthwhile at this point I think Utah would still have him on staff.

He's gotta be 70 years old. What 70 year old man gets up in the morning ready to be a running backs coach??? Not after being the head man or calling plays anyways.

Time to get the boat out and enjoy the summer on the lake.
Yep. Agree. I'm in my seventies and Erickson is older than I am. Give Dennis a can of worms, a fishing pole and a six pack and leave him to relax on the end of his pier at CDA.

Uncle Denny appeared at the Coug Legends Golf tourney at CDA last week, he was there with CMP, Doba, Leach, and bunch of the great former players from the last 20+ years and looks like he's happy and healthy in retirement.

I hope he comes down to Pullman more now that he has finished coaching.

Uncle Denny appeared at the Coug Legends Golf tourney at CDA last week, he was there with CMP, Doba, Leach, and bunch of the great former players from the last 20+ years and looks like he's happy and healthy in retirement.

I hope he comes down to Pullman more now that he has finished coaching.

Off topic, but since these guys (football coaches) get no state pension (right?), do they live off of their invested millions they earn while coaching, plus the small Social Security check?

Off topic, but since these guys (football coaches) get no state pension (right?), do they live off of their invested millions they earn while coaching, plus the small Social Security check?

As state employee's I imagine that they do get a check.

There are people in Oregon furious with the pension Bellotti is getting.

G
As state employee's I imagine that they do get a check.

There are people in Oregon furious with the pension Bellotti is getting.

They are getting pensions. The formula is something like years of service and an average of top 3 years paid but in wa they have a cap on what your top wage can be. Paul Wulff will be getting a much bigger pension than Erickson,Price, Leach and Walden bc if all his years at EWU. How do you like that?!

G

They are getting pensions. The formula is something like years of service and an average of top 3 years paid but in wa they have a cap on what your top wage can be. Paul Wulff will be getting a much bigger pension than Erickson,Price, Leach and Walden bc if all his years at EWU. How do you like that?!
Thank you very much, that just made me gag and swallow in order to avoid keyboard damage.

G

Anyone have any insights into what a guy like Wulff would get in pension money per year? Or Price/Erickson/etc.? Just curious if it is significant $$.

ADVERTISEMENT