ADVERTISEMENT

Depth cart. Where’s McDougle

Nunn and Beekman should be in there, Tavion Brown backing up Rodgers -could/should surpass him , When is Willie Taylor going to make a play ?

I'd expect to see a lot of Kwete and Hobbs on Saturday. Still coaches have to find a way to get Travion Brown on the field, whether its is a blitz package or at Rush. Need his speed out there to make a difference if we really are the speed d. Excited to see Isom at cb....he excels at press coverage. Will be nice to have more size at Nickel with Nunn, plus he can cover the slot as well.

This guy should be our starting nose next year

He's a manster. Nice find.
R48YVlay

Wasn’t Cole Dubots a LB? I think he got moved to RB with the depth issue w Williams leaving, but LB is his natural position right? Has he been moved back because he hasn’t played a down at RB and I thought he was one of the faster guys we had, which would be helpful at a spot where everyone is out of position.

Wasn’t Cole Dubots a LB? I think he got moved to RB with the depth issue w Williams leaving, but LB is his natural position right? Has he been moved back because he hasn’t played a down at RB and I thought he was one of the faster guys we had, which would be helpful at a spot where everyone is out of position.
He should move back to LB although I remember someone posted he lost weight with the switch.

Isom and Thomas should've started the season where they are now. Nunn, Stone, and Ross are the ones I want to see more of along with Brown. They'll make mistakes but they can run and hit. Just get them to line up right and wrap up and we'd have something. Kwete and Sheetz have a future and Hobbs has been as surprising as McDougal's been disappointing. I continue to think that this defense needs to sell out a lot to have a chance at getting stops. Caution gets it torched. At least gambling gives some chance of a positive outcome.

I don't think it matters what position he plays. He was buried on the depth chart at LB and he is buried on the depth chart at RB. He is just not as good as others at either position.

I don't think it matters what position he plays. He was buried on the depth chart at LB and he is buried on the depth chart at RB. He is just not as good as others at either position.
It's funny how some players are "between tweeners". He's about the size of Hunter Dale...not big enough to be a linebacker...put him there.

Hard to believe anyone being “buried” on the LB depth chart when Rogers is playing most of the snaps. Guess that speaks to the lack of talent throughout the depth chart.

Reactions: Cougzz
Where do you think he should be playing?
Considering that he is too small currently to fit in as a LB and is #3 at best on the RB chart, the thought has occurred to me that he may well fit in nicely at one of the safety spots. He certainly has the speed for there. I will let the staff decide as they surely know better than we do. Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: cougarhawk1
Isom and Thomas should've started the season where they are now. Nunn, Stone, and Ross are the ones I want to see more of along with Brown. They'll make mistakes but they can run and hit. Just get them to line up right and wrap up and we'd have something. Kwete and Sheetz have a future and Hobbs has been as surprising as McDougal's been disappointing. I continue to think that this defense needs to sell out a lot to have a chance at getting stops. Caution gets it torched. At least gambling gives some chance of a positive outcome.

Did Claeys tell them db coaches where to play their kids ? Seems curious we are seeing the switch now .

Did Claeys tell them db coaches where to play their kids ? Seems curious we are seeing the switch now .
I was wondering the same thing? Were these changes in the plan right after the Utah game, or did they become the plan after Claeys left?

I don't think it's curious. Leach has referred to personnel changes. We're finally seeing it. Presumably Claeys was the roadblock to it happening.

I still don't see how Thomas is the best of any DB position he has been playing.

Not really disagreeing, but what it boils down to is taking the CB opposite Strong off the field, and getting Nunn on.

I don't think it's curious. Leach has referred to personnel changes. We're finally seeing it. Presumably Claeys was the roadblock to it happening.

Not sure I have seen where the DC has told the position coaches who to play and where to play them . There is always a first .

Somewhat on point, here's an article about how in the NFL, many head coaches are leaving one side of the ball to a coordinator.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...cvay-has-created-new-role-head-coach-defense/

Just another way things are moving more in Leach's direction in the NFL.

Also consistent with things are moving toward coordinator control of playing time decisions, to the extent they weren't there already.

You really think Leach couldn't tell Mele he wanted to see more (or less) time from Markoff, or that he wanted to move a player from RB to inside receiver? "Sorry, Mike, I'm not doing that." Yeah, sure.

If that sounds ridiculous to you, then why wouldn't the DC, who runs the defense, have similar authority over PT decisions on the defensive side of the ball? Have to think the DC asks for input from position coaches on how players are looking, whether moves make sense, etc., but if he wants to do something, they execute it. Not that different from most organizations in ... well, the whole world.

Not sure I have seen where the DC has told the position coaches who to play and where to play them . There is always a first .

Position coaches don't hold a fantasy draft at the start of camp to determine who plays were, that's the coordinators job. Did Darcel McBath give Kendrick Shaver Daniel Isom to plug the hole left by Thompson? No, that's the job of the defensive coordinator.

Feedback throughout the week on who should be playing is mostly done by position coaches who are really in the weeds. They tell the coordinators who can best execute the game plan. Coordinators set the depth chart.

During the game, the coach in the booth is too busy trying to call a game to worry about subs, etc. The assistant coaches are managing subs throughout the game.

We don't know the specifics of how responsibilities are delegated on the defense, but I guarantee Claeys signed off on who was playing where. I also don't think it's a coincidence the depth chart was so different with his departure. We don't know if it will work, but clearly there is a different approach being taken.

Connecting the dots, it sounds to me like there was significant dissension within the coaching staff. I’ve heard Leach mention that the scheme was too complex, we’re seeing a reshuffling of the defensive roaster, TC mentioned that there was a disagreement on philosophy.

That adds up, to me, as a divide amongst the defensive coaching staff. It also fits with how they’ve looked all season. There have been significant breakdowns in alignment and structure since the first series of the NMSU game.

Connecting the dots, it sounds to me like there was significant dissension within the coaching staff. I’ve heard Leach mention that the scheme was too complex, we’re seeing a reshuffling of the defensive roaster, TC mentioned that there was a disagreement on philosophy.

That adds up, to me, as a divide amongst the defensive coaching staff. It also fits with how they’ve looked all season. There have been significant breakdowns in alignment and structure since the first series of the NMSU game.
I've seen this quoted several times, about the defense being too complex, but didn't a former Coug NFL player just say last week that the D was entirely too simplistic and that would imply that the D was horribly behind in running, understanding and playing complex defensive schemes?

I suppose those aren't mutually exclusive - Claeys wanted to run complex schemes and was asking too much from them, thus making the entire scheme confusing?

One of the things that is crucial for a school making a living off of 3 star talent is coaching. Having kids that are well coached, then growing them up in the scheme is crucial. It gives you the ability to out maneuver more talented kids you will see. For the defense to be this lost is unacceptable. It is a breakdown of scheme, poor coaching, mismanaged or no talent...

All that being said, it isn't the defense responsible for back to back losses. Its the failure of the offense.

Reactions: ATACFD
All that being said, it isn't the defense responsible for back to back losses. Its the failure of the offense.

Agree with you regarding the offense against Utah, but I'm lumping the special teams and defense together when I blame them for the UCLA meltdown. The turnovers weren't good, but any semblance of tackling acumen would have been enough to win a game where you score 60 points.

As you mentioned, the tackling has been beyond awful this season. I grew up following Texas A&M in the late 70's and 80's, as my Dad had a close friend who was a huge fan. They are known for elite special teams, and have a tradition of 12th man walk-ons.

Jackie Sherrill created a special teams unit in 1983 made up completely of walk-on players. During the first season, the 12th Man kickoff team allowed only 13.1 yards per return. Over the next five seasons, the 12th Man kickoff team led the nation in yards per return twice, and finished in the top five in that category each year.

Now, that wouldn't fly anymore in the competitive world of D1 football, but on UCLA's kick return TD, I swear that me and my intramural flag football team would have covered the kick better than we did. There was absolutely no effort given on that return whatsoever.

Agree with you regarding the offense against Utah, but I'm lumping the special teams and defense together when I blame them for the UCLA meltdown. The turnovers weren't good, but any semblance of tackling acumen would have been enough to win a game where you score 60 points.

As you mentioned, the tackling has been beyond awful this season. I grew up following Texas A&M in the late 70's and 80's, as my Dad had a close friend who was a huge fan. They are known for elite special teams, and have a tradition of 12th man walk-ons.

Jackie Sherrill created a special teams unit in 1983 made up completely of walk-on players. During the first season, the 12th Man kickoff team allowed only 13.1 yards per return. Over the next five seasons, the 12th Man kickoff team led the nation in yards per return twice, and finished in the top five in that category each year.

Now, that wouldn't fly anymore in the competitive world of D1 football, but on UCLA's kick return TD, I swear that me and my intramural flag football team would have covered the kick better than we did. There was absolutely no effort given on that return whatsoever.

You cant lump special teams and defense together. It isnt equitable. This is why...

You have to play defense. You cant avoid it.

You can avoid kick and punt teams. You can manipulate their ability to return the ball by kicking out of bounds. You essentially render everyone useless. You cannot do that on defense.

You cannot expect the defense to defend short fields and 6 turnovers. Simply unfair and total bullsh1t for the offense to leave them that jammed up.

The defense has a lot of issues. It is also not the reason WSU has lost two games. It lands on Leach. His offense turned the ball over 6 times. He didnt tell his special teams coach to kick out of bounds. His offense could only score 1 measly touchdown against Utah.

TC has earned criticism. He is not at fault for the 3-2 record. The offense is.

You don't believe the DC has a lot of input?

I think in spring practice they toss around ideas, sure. I don’t think during a game the DC is on the headset telling them to put in mcdougal , or to play j Rodger and not brown .

I don’t think claeys or any other DC opposes a position switch if the position coach feels it will help. But maybe this staff was on many different wavelengths which would support a supposition if they were 180 apart that the staff was a leach staff and claeys was the hired as a the dc to manage the staff.

Parcels Bellichek and others hired “their” people to be on the same page.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT