ADVERTISEMENT

Detail on Big-10 media deal...

ttowncoug

Hall Of Fame
Sep 9, 2001
The market is set for the Pac-12.

Of note:

The Big Ten plans to “dominate” Saturday football, the conference said.

Its schedule will include marquee games at noon ET on Fox, 3:30 p.m. ET on CBS, and primetime on NBC.

NBC will attempt to make the Big Ten the NFL of college football, using the Saturday night window as a complement to “Sunday Night Football,” as FOS previously reported. NBC games will also be simul-streamed on Peacock.

The rights for all sports will be shared between FOX, CBS, NBC, and Peacock. The deal runs from July 1, 2023, to the end of the 2029-30 season.

In total, the deal will reach the mid-$7 billion range, a source told FOS, and will increase gradually over the seven years.

For the first year — before USC and UCLA join the conference — each existing school will receive about the same amount as in the final year of its current deal. Then, the value could reach up to $90 million annually per school.
(Note: the word "COULD")

Pac-12, ESPN, SEC and ACC will do what they need to do to also put great match-ups in these same windows. I personally think this could backfire, namely on NBC, if no one outside of the Big-10 cares about the Big-10. Kind of how its shaping up to be.

Top dollar goes to top match ups. No one is tuning in to see ABC Big Ten team vs XYZ FCS team.

The networks need tv shows people will tune in to see. The Pac 10 needs to play all 9 and then 3 Power 5 teams. The days of padding your schedule are coming to an end if your league needs big match ups to get big tv dollars. They prob should have done it with the 12 team league and played all 11. That way its a big game every week and you have something to sell.

If ESPN goes all in, which i think they will, they will control which games show up on the windows they now own.

What I also don't understand is Fox. Why would they NOT want the 5pm primetime game? Most of the west coast is still drinking coffee when their Big Noon game starts.

I’d never watch Big 10 football,if there is any Pac-12 /10 game on. lots of people/fans like me don’t care what happens out east and want to see if west Coast football. Pretty simple.

I’d never watch Big 10 football,if there is any Pac-12 /10 game on. lots of people/fans like me don’t care what happens out east and want to see if west Coast football. Pretty simple.
I won’t be watching Big 10 sports period. I have better things to do with my time and I don’t want to support a predatory conference.

Im a big ten guy first. And I get the predatory conference reference. I feel bad for my west coast brothers, who care first about the Pac 12. I love the prestige of the PAC 12 and wish there was another way.

1) If the former Pac 12 commissioner wasnt a total idiot, UCLA would not be in the red financially. TV money should be enough to keep them in the green.

2) The SEC, partnered with ESPN, together started this build a super conference and buyout school from another conference. The Big ten simply followed suit in attemping to counter the precedence the SEC/ESPN established.

Again, I dont like it. I much prefer the organic conferences that evolved around regions and local rivalries. People of the B12 are just as ticked that Texas and OU are leaving for the SEC.

To me, Texas and Oklahoma to the SEC weren't optically as bad. Texas AM, proximity, etc., all made sense for these schools to make the jump.

The LA schools, and solely them, no real geographic sense and it boils down to money, period. What will be interesting is if USC stays happy with all the travel and tougher schedule. We all know when they were good they were on top of a Pac-10 conference that isn't as strong as it is today.

Im a big ten guy first. And I get the predatory conference reference. I feel bad for my west coast brothers, who care first about the Pac 12. I love the prestige of the PAC 12 and wish there was another way.
1) If the former Pac 12 commissioner wasnt a total idiot, UCLA would not be in the red financially. TV money should be enough to keep them in the green.

2) The SEC, partnered with ESPN, together started this build a super conference and buyout school from another conference. The Big ten simply followed suit in attemping to counter the precedence the SEC/ESPN established.

Again, I dont like it. I much prefer the organic conferences that evolved around regions and local rivalries. People of the B12 are just as ticked that Texas and OU are leaving for the SEC.
Here is the thing. Like a lot of people, I grew up with PAC12 sports and it has been a big part of my life. I will continue to support WSU no matter what happens but if the Big10 destroys the PAC12, I am done with collegiate sports. I already don’t follow professional sports and I can easily do the same thing with colleges. I don’t like what the networks and conferences like the Big10 and SEC are doing and I absolutely refuse to support that. There is another way for the Big 10 and SEC to handle this and that is to show moral fortitude and ethics and not destroy other conferences for the sake of money. To be perfectly blunt and honest, the only difference between a house of Ill repute in Nevada and the Big10/SEC is the house of ill repute is more honest in what it is doing and there for. The Big 10 and SEC is not and what they are doing is bad for college football.

You may say how bad you feel for us but it’s not your conference being possible being destroyed and your program possibly being relegated to the MWC as the result of others greed and acting in a manner of what is the worst possible thing for college sports. Needless to say I wish the worst for USC, UCLA and the BIG 10 and I hope this blows up in their faces.

You are right that the former PAC12 commish is an idiot and a lot of this rests on him.

Last edited:
Here is the thing. Like a lot of people, I grew up with PAC12 sports and it has been a big part of my life. I will continue to support WSU no matter what happens but if the Big10 destroys the PAC12, I am done with collegiate sports. I already don’t follow professional sports and I can easily do the same thing with colleges. I don’t like what the networks and conferences like the Big10 and SEC are doing and I absolutely refuse to support that. There is another way for the Big 10 and SEC to handle this and that is to show moral fortitude and ethics and not destroy other conferences for the sake of money. To be perfectly blunt and honest, the only difference between a house of Ill repute in Nevada and the Big10/SEC is the house of ill repute is more honest in what it is doing and there for. The Big 10 and SEC is not and what they are doing is bad for college football.

You may say how bad you feel for us but it’s not your conference being possible being destroyed and your program possibly being relegated to the MWC as the result of others greed and acting in a manner of what is the worst possible thing for college sports. Needless to say I wish the worst for USC, UCLA and the BIG 10 and I hope this blows up in their faces.

You are right that the former PAC12 commish is an idiot and a lot of this rests on him.

What's going to be amazing to watch is to see the B1G and SEC flounder in 10 years as they realize that 1) people aren't going to watch their conferences just because they steal a few teams and 2) they've fostered a monster in the form of a player's union that is undoubtedly coming that is going to demand half of their profits and gutting their finances. TV deals are going to shrink in time and they are going to have to give the players a cut and they'll end up in a poorer financial condition than if they had just continued the charade that college sports was really about college and not purely a cash generation business.

The cord cutting trend is going to backfire on the media money these conferences are getting as well.

When the pie gets smaller - my prediction - teams like Texas and USC will bolt to be independents.

The cord cutting trend is going to backfire on the media money these conferences are getting as well.

When the pie gets smaller - my prediction - teams like Texas and USC will bolt to be independents.
I've had a similar thought in the past, but with the continuing evolution I'm not so sure anymore.

For a long time, I figured those schools - Texas, USC, Notre Dame, and a few of the other blue bloods - would eventually embrace their own streaming models and stay independent. Problem is I think doing that costs them money. Right now, as part of the conference and network package, they cast a wider net. USC gets a little bit of money from the people who sign up to watch WSU, Texas gets a little bit from the people who sign up to watch Kansas. If they go independent and cut the conference tie, they get to keep a bigger share of the people who specifically want to watch them...but they get nothing from the WSU and Kansas fans. I'm not sure those numbers offset favorably for very many - if any. Notre Dame has made solid money from NBC for decades, but that's on free broadcast TV. If they went to a streaming model, how many subscribers would they actually have?

Even if you discount the fact that they'd have to have their own broadcast infrastructure in place, I don't know if it pencils out for anyone to go strictly independent.

I think it's true that the superconferences are not going to end up as successful as is being anticipated. In a few years, they're going to start coming apart. Alabama and Ohio State are going to decide that Kentucky and Indiana don't belong with them, and they're going to start shedding the weaklings. Other teams are going to end up as perennial bridesmaids...or they're going to end up stuck between 5-7 and 8-4 every year...and are going to start thinking they were better off before (USC will be one of these). Those teams will like the money, so it'll take longer for them to make a change, but the 18-20 team conferences aren't going to last.

The networks themselves are going to realize that they screwed up too...because they're trying to set up marquee matchups and play a national championship caliber game every week. So, they're going to spend the whole year with the best teams beating each other up, and it's going to seriously undermine the hype for the actual national championship. On the plus side, it means that they'll move faster to a playoff. On the down side, it means that until they move to a playoff, the networks will be able to influence the schedules in advance in order to ease the road to the NC for their preferred teams.

But... when it all comes apart, I don't see a lot of incentive for independents anymore.

if the independents have a media partner, i think it scales. EG: USC sells it's rights solely to Fox. If the value of USC alone is greater than the value of USC in the Big-10, why dilute your value? I've stated this in the past, USC leaving the Pac-12 now makes a future independent play easier because they can join the PAC for all other sports.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT