ADVERTISEMENT

Diamond Head Classic in Hawaii

M-I-Coug

Hall Of Fame
Oct 13, 2002
Mercer Island
Nice trip to Honolulu for the team and players, but they are going to miss their families for Christmas!

8 team Tournament.

Surprise the final is on Christmas Day.

Last edited:
Backstory. Interesting. We play George Washington for the first time in history.

Last edited:
Smith on pre-game said Jakimovski should be back tonight on a minute's restriction. Might play all 3, might take off tomorrow's game. Good to get him going again. It's going to take time to shake off the rust.

Reactions: kougkurt
Gueye & Bamba having their way with 11 & 8 to get us out to a 19-14 start. A lot of players getting minutes (3 games in 4 days). I think 8 have played in the first 10 minutes.

Mullins finally becomes the 3rd Coug to score.

Good win, but damn. Our two biggest contributors are low basketball IQ players. I hate calling our individual kids, but Bamba and Gueye look like true freshmen out there at times. I have low confidence in either of them down the stretch.

What’s up with Crespin? No PT and I didn’t see him on the bench.
Someone on brandx also posted he's no longer on the roster. I looked and don't see him. He was in a video when they landed. WTF?

EDIT: Someone posted grades were posted yesterday. If that's the issue, hopefully it's not so bad he sticks around and gets eligible for next year.

Someone on brandx also posted he's no longer on the roster. I looked and don't see him. He was in a video when they landed. WTF?

EDIT: Someone posted grades were posted yesterday. If that's the issue, hopefully it's not so bad he sticks around and gets eligible for next year.

Strange. Went home from Hawaii?

Had to be grades. This is about the time they hit.

Good to see us win a close game.

Probably should not have been close though.

Our shooting is abhorrent and will need to improve or it's going to be a long season.

Fourteen TOs? Again....not good. Rebounding was good fortunately.

Smith on pre-game said Jakimovski should be back tonight on a minute's restriction. Might play all 3, might take off tomorrow's game. Good to get him going again. It's going to take time to shake off the rust.

Oh look, guess I heard right after all, when either either Smith said to radio announcer, that Jaki was on a undefined, loose timetable to be back from injury in about a number of days, 1, 2,3 weeks, OR the radio announcer was saying that Smith said that to him, etc.

I heard something like that somewhere, sometimes, in, on one of the last couple, few, etc, radio broadcasted games.

It looks like that I was right after all.

Also I projected before I had heard that, that Jaki wasn't going to be out a extreme long time, etc, and looks like I was right about that as well.

Good win, but damn. Our two biggest contributors are low basketball IQ players. I hate calling our individual kids, but Bamba and Gueye look like true freshmen out there at times. I have low confidence in either of them down the stretch.
Man when a good win is by 2 points over a 6-4 George Washington team, I guess that tells you how the season is going. I had high hopes but injuries have really derailed this one. It's looking like a bit of a lost season. Hopefully we can convince most guys to stick around next year.

Man when a good win is by 2 points over a 6-4 George Washington team, I guess that tells you how the season is going. I had high hopes but injuries have really derailed this one. It's looking like a bit of a lost season. Hopefully we can convince most guys to stick around next year.
The injuries, particularly to D Jackson, have really hindered the season. I'm not concerned about the state of the program though. Recruiting has gone well, and we should have enough guys coming back to make this team competitive again. Gueye will probably leave, but he is nowhere near ready to play professional ball. Still like his upside, but his hands are weak on the glass (gets the ball poked away easily), he makes poor passing decisions, has an unreliable shot, and he doesn't finish at the rim when contested. A lot of that would have been helped with Jackson handling the dirty work underneath. Bamba is a solid player, but he's not a frontline starter who you want the ball going through.

And to be fair, George Washington isn't a garbage program by any means. They have a better history than we do, frankly.

Advanced to the sweet 16 in 1993
2nd round in 1994
2nd round in 2006 and 2014
Several other NCAA appearances
Won the NIT championship in 2016

They're a 50/50 team this season, but they have a 25 point win vs. South Carolina. The Atlantic 10 is maybe the best smaller conference in the Nation. George Mason, St. Josephs, St. Louis, Richmond, Davidson, UMass, VCU.

And to be fair, George Washington isn't a garbage program by any means. They have a better history than we do, frankly.

Advanced to the sweet 16 in 1993
2nd round in 1994
2nd round in 2006 and 2014
Several other NCAA appearances
Won the NIT championship in 2016

They're a 50/50 team this season, but they have a 25 point win vs. South Carolina. The Atlantic 10 is maybe the best smaller conference in the Nation. George Mason, St. Josephs, St. Louis, Richmond, Davidson, UMass, VCU.
Right not saying that but this is 2022 taking a look at their results this season other than that SC win its pretty blah. Just saying a win against a .500 A10 team being considered a good win was not what I would have thought preseason. Preseason I think that would have fallen into the should win easily category as I was hoping for a tourney team.

The ocean's just a hop from the arena. If they went outside and shot at it they'd miss the water. Frustrating.

Wow. darling is no PAC-12 point guard. D is ok, but can’t score or really create. Having him in is like playing 5 on 4.

Darling had about 2,3,4,5 good drives to basket, where he beat the guy guarding him off the dribble. He just barely by skin of teeth missed 2 of those lay ups, one of which was almost all the way down, and miraculously popped out as a miss.

Those will start dropping.

WSU Bamba, Houinsou, Darling, Powell, Mullins, all had nice drives attacking the basket, that were just barely missing.

Those drives, lay ups will start dropping.

The technically missed lay ups were the difference in the game, that and the 2 out of 10 from 3.

Like has been said, WSU was shooting was so technically bad, just barely technically missing, that WSU would have struggled to hit the Ocean if they were to shoot at the Ocean.

Just unlucky misses were the difference in the game.

Not much that can do about unlucky misses.

Darling had about 2,3,4,5 good drives to basket, where he beat the guy guarding him off the dribble. He just barely by skin of teeth missed 2 of those lay ups, one of which was almost all the way down, and miraculously popped out as a miss.

Those will start dropping.

WSU Bamba, Houinsou, Darling, Powell, Mullins, all had nice drives attacking the basket, that were just barely missing.

Those drives, lay ups will start dropping.

The technically missed lay ups were the difference in the game, that and the 2 out of 10 from 3.

Like has been said, WSU was shooting was so technically bad, just barely technically missing, that WSU would have struggled to hit the Ocean if they were to shoot at the Ocean.

Just unlucky misses were the difference in the game.

Not much that can do about unlucky misses.

You make your own good luck.

How many turnovers this game?

You make your own good luck.

How many turnovers this game?

I would say about 7 to 10 to 13 turnovers.

Still room for improvement, but at least they weren't 15 to 17 to 20 to 23+ turnovers.

Not good, great, but not bad either.

And the passing, ball movement was generally ok, still room for improvement.

Because of the team's, players success(except for the missing the lay ups), driving, attacking the basket, beating the defenders guarding them off the dribble, etc, that later led to a over reliance on that, which led to the offense being a little too 1 on 1 dribbling, and a couple, few, some in the minority semi wild, semi out of control drives, fouls, turnovers, missed, etc.

But that said, the team would have had to play perfect, to have overcome all the unlucky misses.

Even if the team had done everything better, WSU would have probably still lost by 2,3,4,5 points, instead of losing by 10, because of all the unlucky shooting misses.

And if the team hadn't played good defense, had less turnovers, hadn't done the good job rebounding, etc, they did, they would have lost by 20 to 30, instead of 10, because of their unlucky shooting misses.

Sometimes you really do lose games, because of unlucky shooting misses.

This was one of those games.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT