ADVERTISEMENT

Dickert focused on three upgrades to maintain WSU's success and playoff hopes

PeteTheChop

Hall Of Fame
May 25, 2005
Per Brand X, CJD is all on board with elevating Cougar Football via the following:

1. Growing the Cougar Athletic Fund (CAF)

2. Expanding and Enriching WSU's NIL coffers via the "Cougar Collective"

3. Re-doing/Modernizing the football locker room. Good news is pledges have already been made for more than half of the estimated $3.5M pricetag.

“A football locker room is a sacred space for our team to build culture, strengthen unity’s and create lifelong bonds with teammates," CJD said. "This modernization will provide space for our team to do just that.”

Sounds like Dr. Chun and Coach Dickert have spent a lot of time identifying and prioritizing the football program's immediate and long-term needs

Reactions: whoisyaodaddy
I mean a Brothel is a sacred space to build culture, strengthen unity and create lifelong bonds as well.

Just sayin'

And to answer Biggs, maybe that will make them coach better.

Which of those upgrades help them coach better?

2-7 in league is fireable.

Sounds like from what Coach Dickert says, the remodeled locker room is the kind of upgrade that will bring the team closer together, figuratively (and maybe literally?) speaking.

Coach may feel like that kind of thing can make the difference in a game or two every season

Per Brand X, CJD is all on board with elevating Cougar Football via the following:

3. Re-doing/Modernizing the football locker room. Good news is pledges have already been made for more than half of the estimated $3.5M pricetag.

“A football locker room is a sacred space for our team to build culture, strengthen unity’s and create lifelong bonds with teammates," CJD said. "This modernization will provide space for our team to do just that.”

Sounds like Dr. Chun and Coach Dickert have spent a lot of time identifying and prioritizing the football program's immediate and long-term needs
Pete, Pete, Pete.

Needing to raise more CAF money has been a priority forever. That and needing more NIL money could be identified in about 10 seconds as priorities by anyone on this board.

The locker room thing throws me. Has it even been 10 years since the FOB building went up? State of the art at the time if recall. WTH is wrong with the locker room. But whatever.

And who is Dr. Chun? Pat Chun does not have a doctorate.

Reactions: PeteTheChop
Pete, Pete, Pete.

Needing to raise more CAF money has been a priority forever. That and needing more NIL money could be identified in about 10 seconds as priorities by anyone on this board.

The locker room thing throws me. Has it even been 10 years since the FOB building went up? State of the art at the time if recall. WTH is wrong with the locker room. But whatever.

And who is Dr. Chun? Pat Chun does not have a doctorate.

Thanks for the correction Loyal ... I guess I'm always thinking those high-ranking university administrators get their Ph.D's in order to more quickly climb the ladder.

Good question on the locker room.

Now that the new $25M IPF is on track, maybe CJD's next objective to enhance recruiting and retention is a locker room that is undeniably state of the art?

It sounds like Mr. Chun and Coach Dickert jointly determined these are "must-haves" Nos. 1, 2 and 3 to be a regular bowl team and Top 25 program

Last edited:
Sounds like from what Coach Dickert says, the remodeled locker room is the kind of upgrade that will bring the team closer together, figuratively (and maybe literally?) speaking.

Coach may feel like that kind of thing can make the difference in a game or two every season

He is wrong.

Reactions: HCoug
Getting beer sales going at the games is more important than a updated locker room.

Dickert would have earned a full year of no criticism from me if he would've said that.

Reactions: 79COUG and 702coug
Getting beer sales going at the games is more important than a updated locker room.

Dickert would have earned a full year of no criticism from me if he would've said that.
Maybe I should start a Martin Stadium (and Beasley) drinking thread. I've told the story more than once here about the early 80's when you could bring anything into Martin as long as it wasn't glass. Thus the 5 gallon gas can full of spodie odie. 40 years later, I still can't believe we got away with that. You can't exactly stick a 5 gallon gas can in your shirt or coat. We got so shitfaced.

Couple of other quick ones. When I had season tickets, there were 6 of us that sat in Section 24. I had a big fanny pack that could hold like 17 airline bottles, which I would save and refill game to game. I would sit in our innermost seat and basically be bartender - my spouse and buds would pass their pops down and I would spice 'em up,

One game me and a bud smuggled in beers. Security saw us pulling on them, and just confiscated them, nothing more.

I took my Mom to a game once, and had a vitamin jar full of whiskey. Asked Mom to put my vitamins in her purse to get by Security. Then during the game I asked her for my vitamin jar, and promptly opened it up and dumped it in my drink. Poor Mom about had a stroke.

So many more stories. Should we start a thread?

Reactions: PeteTheChop
Getting beer sales going at the games is more important than a updated locker room

Creator Shrug GIF by G2 Esports

Reactions: Cougini5591
I have drawn the line on anything NIL. I am not promoting this nonsense. They are creating eventually a 2 conference (approximately 30 teams) system rostered with paid mercenaries. I have no desire to support this farce that they are now calling college football. I have been a Coug fan since I was 5. Through the good and unfortunately mostly the bad. It was a very important part of my life. I went to the Pac 12 Championship game this year which was and will be my swan song. I watched Army v Navy and Montana v Furman this past weekend and found it refreshing to see real college athletes playing their butts off in a game they love. The coaches weren't pulling down 7 to 8 figure pay checks either. I will forever be a Coug (class of 74) but I have chosen to step back from this decaying madness. If I want to watch paid mercenaries play football I'll watch th NFL. It is a better product.

By "growing the CAF," does he mean cancelling more events that get donors involved, pull money directly out of their pockets, and give them a sense of community and ownership? Because that how its been "grown" under Chun

Reactions: HCoug and ATACFD
By "growing the CAF," does he mean cancelling more events that get donors involved, pull money directly out of their pockets, and give them a sense of community and ownership? Because that how its been "grown" under Chun
I've been saying for years, and getting panned over it, that Chun sucks.

Dr. Chun? LOL! More like Chun King.

Reactions: BiggsCoug
Jake is f-ing tone deaf. We don't know where and how much revenue we will receive in the future. We couldn't balance the books as it was because of unpaid for upgrades. Not only are we losing 20 million in TV revenue, ticket sales and donations will suffer with the de facto MWC schedule.

History has shown that coaching, talent evaluation and recruiting are the prime factors in winning football games. He needs to focus on that, win games and if and when decent revenue streams return, then demand a greater share of that revenue.

There is a simple solution to additional NIL money and beer sales, make a deal with a distributor to get exclusive rights the all beer sales on game day, plus in the Stadium and at Beasley. NIL gets 90% of the profit, sell $10 16oz beers and NIL gets at least 500k per year added to their fund

Jake is f-ing tone deaf. We don't know where and how much revenue we will receive in the future. We couldn't balance the books as it was because of unpaid for upgrades. Not only are we losing 20 million in TV revenue, ticket sales and donations will suffer with the de facto MWC schedule.

History has shown that coaching, talent evaluation and recruiting are the prime factors in winning football games. He needs to focus on that, win games and if and when decent revenue streams return, then demand a greater share of that revenue.

It seems to me that you are just looking to be mad.

1) Growing the CAF. How is that bad?
2) Encourage the growth of the NIL collective. What else is he supposed to do there? Give up?
3) Upgrade the locker room. This is the only one that might raise someone's ire...but if we are going to compete with other schools in recruiting, there might be things that have changed in the past nine years that we need to consider changing if we want to stay competitive. If half the money has already been raised through private donations, it means that this has been a known need for a while. Don't be pissed that you don't donate enough to know about it.

Your last paragraph is a pointless rant. Where has anything been said that he's not focusing on those things? We don't need an 80,000 seat stadium but we can't abandon attempts to keep up with the Joneses in ways that we can. And nine years is a long time in the sports world. You can coach, evaluate talent and recruit while also wanting to make sure that you are providing the best possible environment that you can afford.

There is a simple solution to additional NIL money and beer sales, make a deal with a distributor to get exclusive rights the all beer sales on game day, plus in the Stadium and at Beasley. NIL gets 90% of the profit, sell $10 16oz beers and NIL gets at least 500k per year added to their fund

I don't think the university can direct funds to the NIL. What would be better is to use it for athletics funding knowing that we can encourage more folks to donate to the NIL without killing our AD funding.

I don't think the university can direct funds to the NIL. What would be better is to use it for athletics funding knowing that we can encourage more folks to donate to the NIL without killing our AD funding.
The university can't but the beer distributor could. I was talking to a Beer Distributor that had rights to the Seahawk games a few years back and their average cost per pour was about 52 cents, that includes staffing. There is money to be made here. It's time WSU gets a little more creative in raising money, NFL teams have been using this as a revenue stream for years.

The university can't but the beer distributor could. I was talking to a Beer Distributor that had rights to the Seahawk games a few years back and their average cost per pour was about 52 cents, that includes staffing. There is money to be made here. It's time WSU gets a little more creative in raising money, NFL teams have been using this as a revenue stream for years.

I agree 100% that we should be selling beer in the stadium. I just don't believe that the university could have that money be directed into the NIL. Not worth the risk. We need money for our AD anyway, so it makes more sense to direct on campus revenue to that. Still encourage fans to donate to the NIL collective of their choice though.

Every bar on the planet agrees.

Creativity? At WSU???? hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Every bar on the planet agrees
Edit - this site is so f-ed up. I posted this one, and it shows up again wanting to be posted. Is it just me, or are others struggling with it? Half the time it won't take my posts, and I am now in the habit of copying my replies knowing I have to re-post them because "we have run into problems".

Edit - this site is so f-ed up. I posted this one, and it shows up again wanting to be posted. Is it just me, or are others struggling with it? Half the time it won't take my posts, and I am now in the habit of copying my replies knowing I have to re-post them because "we have run into problems".
You forgot the 'Oops" in front of "we ran into problems". Happens to me about 10-20% of the time.

I have drawn the line on anything NIL. I am not promoting this nonsense. They are creating eventually a 2 conference (approximately 30 teams) system rostered with paid mercenaries. I have no desire to support this farce that they are now calling college football. I have been a Coug fan since I was 5. Through the good and unfortunately mostly the bad. It was a very important part of my life. I went to the Pac 12 Championship game this year which was and will be my swan song. I watched Army v Navy and Montana v Furman this past weekend and found it refreshing to see real college athletes playing their butts off in a game they love. The coaches weren't pulling down 7 to 8 figure pay checks either. I will forever be a Coug (class of 74) but I have chosen to step back from this decaying madness. If I want to watch paid mercenaries play football I'll watch th NFL. It is a better product.
Class of 1974 also, and I share your view on NIL. Hate it.

Reactions: cougarmike
That is how it has been growing for 25 years. There used to be 11 (I think is the correct number) of golf tournaments to raise funds and get a connection between the AD and the great unwashed out in the state. Now they have the Big Bucks tourney at the CDA Resort with Cougar QB's, and I think that is it unless they still hold one in Pullman. My team won that one year, BTW! :)

Reactions: BleedCrimsonandGray
If that is what you wanna cry into watching more piss poorly coached football, sure.
Geezus christ buddy get off it. Dickert is not that bad. Decent, honest guy, Your hard on against every coach who is/was here is wearing thin. Give it a rest.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT