ADVERTISEMENT

Dickert Said It Incorrectly

Stretch 74

Hall Of Fame
Jan 6, 2003
Well, well, well-there certainly has been a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth lately by Coug fans. Yes, I have done that also. Seems like there is a lot of blame to go around, individually and collectively. We blame recruiting, coaching, play calling, mental awareness, officials, fans, weather, and maybe even CougEd. LOL I think I can boil it all down to one word-OFFENSE. Our offense has been anemic, impotent, offensive, awful.

How many of you are aware that WSU is leading the conference is points allowed per game? In spite of giving up too many Pass Interference penalties and third and long (over ten yards) conversions, we still are leading the conference at just over 20 points per game allowed. And that is in spite of being LAST in the conference in Time of Possession at 26:22 per game. The defense has outperformed the offense by miles.

I sometimes like to dig deeper into some of the stats to try to figure out where some of the root causes are for either success or failure. It can be enlightening at times. I listened to the post game and call in shows while doing the two hour drive home after the game. Something Coach Dickert said stuck with me. He said that "We are not good enough right now to overcome negative plays". While that is true, I think the real issue is that we are not good enough right now to PREVENT the negative plays. I went back through the play by play to investigate that a bit and here is what I found:
  • WSU had 10 drives, one of which was only 2 plays before halftime.
  • 4 of those drives started with a negative play or one that went for no gain, so 40% of the time we were in trouble after our first play.
  • First drive had -3 and -8 yard plays
  • Second drive had -3 and -6 yard plays
  • Third drive had a 0 yard play but did end in a TD
  • Fourth drive had -1, -6, -10, plus the stupid Stribling illegal touching penalty that wiped out a huge gain
  • Fifth drive had 0, then halftime
  • Sixth drive had 0 and ended up with turnover on downs
  • Seventh drive had -7, 0, -5 penalty
  • Eighth drive had no negatives, ended with a TD
  • Ninth drive had -5 penalty, -4, -2, -10 penalty, -1
  • Tenth drive had -2, -5, 0, ended with field goal after 7 plays netted 12 yards, wasting great field position after the turnover
  • Soooo, out of 50 plays plus three false starts, the Cougars had 22 negative and non-positive plays.
  • For those of you that were not math majors, that means that over 40% of our attempted plays were not positive plays.
  • And all that lead to only converting 3 times on third and fourth down plays. Not a recipe for success unless your tough defense is scoring a couple times a game to help out the scoreboard totals.
FWIW, and unfortunately I don't have any answers to the problem other than to get huge improvement from the offensive line.

Well, well, well-there certainly has been a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth lately by Coug fans. Yes, I have done that also. Seems like there is a lot of blame to go around, individually and collectively. We blame recruiting, coaching, play calling, mental awareness, officials, fans, weather, and maybe even CougEd. LOL I think I can boil it all down to one word-OFFENSE. Our offense has been anemic, impotent, offensive, awful.

How many of you are aware that WSU is leading the conference is points allowed per game? In spite of giving up too many Pass Interference penalties and third and long (over ten yards) conversions, we still are leading the conference at just over 20 points per game allowed. And that is in spite of being LAST in the conference in Time of Possession at 26:22 per game. The defense has outperformed the offense by miles.

I sometimes like to dig deeper into some of the stats to try to figure out where some of the root causes are for either success or failure. It can be enlightening at times. I listened to the post game and call in shows while doing the two hour drive home after the game. Something Coach Dickert said stuck with me. He said that "We are not good enough right now to overcome negative plays". While that is true, I think the real issue is that we are not good enough right now to PREVENT the negative plays. I went back through the play by play to investigate that a bit and here is what I found:
  • 4 of those drives started with a negative play or one that went for no gain, so 40% of the time we were in trouble after our first play.
  • Fourth drive had -1, -6, -10, plus the stupid Stribling illegal touching penalty that wiped out a huge gain
  • Tenth drive had -2, -5, 0, ended with field goal after 7 plays netted 12 yards, wasting great field position after the turnover
  • Soooo, out of 50 plays plus three false starts, the Cougars had 22 negative and non-positive plays.
  • For those of you that were not math majors, that means that over 40% of our attempted plays were not positive plays.
  • And all that lead to only converting 3 times on third and fourth down plays. Not a recipe for success unless your tough defense is scoring a couple times a game to help out the scoreboard totals.
FWIW, and unfortunately I don't have any answers to the problem other than to get huge improvement from the offensive line.
Stop moving the ball backwards. That would include CW running backwards and poorly blocked swing passes.

I'd be curious to know how many of the negative plays were pass vs run. I suspect its 75% pass/ 25% run.

Which goes back to what almost everyone on the board has been crying for: run the fn ball. At least you start the play moving towards the line of scrimmage instead of backwards - that's a start.

Reactions: mikalalas

For many of us... including myself...

Probably a bit of patience and tolerance would do wonders.

Maybe last year was 1989 and now we are 1990.

I'd rather have it be where are 2000, but man... it is so weird to handle no offense when our history of QB university has given us so much offense before.

For many of us... including myself...

Probably a bit of patience and tolerance would do wonders.

Maybe last year was 1989 and now we are 1990.

I'd rather have it be where are 2000, but man... it is so weird to handle no offense when our history of QB university has given us so much offense before.
Yeah, but we've seen less talented or young QBs, or less talented or young OL, or less talented or young WRs, but it sure feels like its all 3 at once this year. I deign to say it, but it does feel Wulffian how bad the O is.

Like I said in another thread (and I believe it to be true about the Wulff team as well), I don't believe this team to be a bad talent-wise as they are showing on the field.

Biggs, is there any correlation between show attendance and deer season? Or not? What have you seen? Just curious.

AND NOT HAVE MORRIS BE A COMPLETE AND UTTER MORON, AND NOT CALL STUPIDLY BAD PLAYS 90% OF TIME, AND NOT REFUSE TO HAND THE DAMN BALL OFF TO THE RB's.

The D is a pretty bad good defense. They keep other teams off the board but they don't force turnovers or sack the QB. Given our offensive struggles, the defense needs to dominate and allow us to do things like score on short fields.

Reactions: KRUSTYtheCOUG
The D is a pretty bad good defense. They keep other teams off the board but they don't force turnovers or sack the QB. Given our offensive struggles, the defense needs to dominate and allow us to do things like score on short fields.
Agree. They are 9th in total turnovers and turnover for/against ratio. 3rd in sacks made, dead last in sacks against. Complete indictment there against the OL.

Agree. They are 9th in total turnovers and turnover for/against ratio. 3rd in sacks made, dead last in sacks against. Complete indictment there against the OL.

14 of our sacks came against Colorado St and Idaho. The only pressured Utah 6 times on Thursday. Big reason teams have been able to convert more than their fair share of 3rd and Longs.

14 of our sacks came against Colorado St and Idaho. The only pressured Utah 6 times on Thursday. Big reason teams have been able to convert more than their fair share of 3rd and Longs.
The Utes threw the ball a relatively modest 27 times and losing Brennan Jackson before halftime didn't help those numbers vs. Utah. But yeah, I'd like to see more hits and sacks vs. opposing QBs.

Glad Cougar

ADVERTISEMENT