ADVERTISEMENT

Ernie Kent P-12 Network interview

i guess all the posters who stated"anybody but Ernie" are now ready to jump on the bandwagon. Ernie knows he needs players and he will get them sooner rather than later. I hope he can recruit at least one excellent recruit who will start or play major minutes to lift this team out of the cellar.

who are these posters you speak of?

Originally posted by ElComanche:
i guess all the posters who stated"anybody but Ernie" are now ready to jump on the bandwagon. Ernie knows he needs players and he will get them sooner rather than later. I hope he can recruit at least one excellent recruit who will start or play major minutes to lift this team out of the cellar.

There are a few. I don't think many here, but a handful on BX and CC. Some just can't let g that he was fired after slipping record-wise and didn't get hired over the last 4 years. A few just don't like his style.

Nonsense ,he was not fired because of his record. In fact.he had been hired at CSU until their prez in a moment of religious righteous did not approve of the hiring.Ernie is a known commodity but he slipped up on the personal end in some self righteous people's views.There was a long thread on brand X with just that moniker. If one goes back and reviewed posts here,there was a lot of negativity on his potential hire. Now you hear comments 'Like I am starting to warm up to this hire" The younger set of students like the hire, much to the chargrin of the old farts here,who cling to the old ways.

I wasn't the fan of the idea at first because I thought it was laziness on Moos's part. He didn't leave Altman much to work with in his first year at Oregon. I'm skeptical if he can recruit here, while he didn't have the facilities that they do now, Nike did fly in their recruits on their private jets. I am wondering if he would inspire the fan base, I don't see people buying tickets for him. Don't think a lot of people were much of a fan of him while he was at Oregon, just didn't think he was a good fit for Pullman. After watching his press conference I'm starting to think differently, he accepts the challenge and I think he'll be able to recruit here. He did hire two very good x's and o's coaches because I hear that is not his strength.

Still a skeptic and he wasn't my favorite candidate, but it's who we have now. Rooting for him and the team to succeed.

ElC...do you have a link to support this claim?

"Nonsense ,he was not fired because of his record. In fact.he had been hired at CSU until their prez in a moment of religious righteous did not approve of the hiring."

Originally posted by CougSinceBirth:
Still a skeptic and he wasn't my favorite candidate, but it's who we have now. Rooting for him and the team to succeed.
Pretty much sums up my feelings, too. I will own up to the fact that I was pretty vocal about not wanting to hire Ernie. I admit a lot of it had to do with my personal feelings about the guy as I watched him closely over the years down here in Oregon and he was too slick, too arrogant for my taste. There is no denying that he had great success at UO until the last couple of years. I'm hoping the 4-year break has re-energized Ernie....it sure seems to be the case so far.

Being skeptical about any new coach is warranted and not a bad thing. But supporting all new coaches and giving them time to prove themselves is something all Cougar fans should do. I'm no different despite my early opposition of Coach Kent as a potential candidate. Count on me to be supportive despite skepticism.

Glad Cougar

Originally posted by ElComanche:
Nonsense ,he was not fired because of his record. In fact.he had been hired at CSU until their prez in a moment of religious righteous did not approve of the hiring.Ernie is a known commodity but he slipped up on the personal end in some self righteous people's views.There was a long thread on brand X with just that moniker. If one goes back and reviewed posts here,there was a lot of negativity on his potential hire. Now you hear comments 'Like I am starting to warm up to this hire" The younger set of students like the hire, much to the chargrin of the old farts here,who cling to the old ways.
I think people had legitimate reasons to question the hire. That certainly doesn't mean they won't continue to support Cougar basketball and its new coach. Does it really matter at this point? We have a coach and we all have a choice to support him or not. I'd be surprised if true Cougar fans, even us "old farts", would want anything but great success for Ernie Kent.

I can assure you one thing....if Kent struggles and doesn't get the job done, you won't see me constantly referring to him as a "Bonehead" or a similar derogatory term. (By the way, I agreed with you in the need to replace Ken Bone. Just couldn't bring myself to call him names. No need for that.)

Glad Cougar

Originally posted by Brent H.:
I wasn't the fan of the idea at first because I thought it was laziness on Moos's part. He didn't leave Altman much to work with in his first year at Oregon. I'm skeptical if he can recruit here, while he didn't have the facilities that they do now, Nike did fly in their recruits on their private jets. I am wondering if he would inspire the fan base, I don't see people buying tickets for him. Don't think a lot of people were much of a fan of him while he was at Oregon, just didn't think he was a good fit for Pullman. After watching his press conference I'm starting to think differently, he accepts the challenge and I think he'll be able to recruit here. He did hire two very good x's and o's coaches because I hear that is not his strength.
For what it it worth, the NCAA banned the use of private/charter jets for recruits in 2004. Also corporate and booster involvment in recruiting has been a big no-no since I can remember. I'm not sure that how much advantage Ernie got in that regard, when balanced against having to recruit to Mac Court.

Wasington Post

While I thought Bones first four teams were closer to decent than terrible, there is no question last year turned into a disaster. I think Ernie, or almost anyone else should be able to get this team close to 500 overall, and up to 6 or 7 wins assuming any kind of return to form by Royce from his soph season. Big class next year will be the first test of Ernies recruiting. Not always quality players available in April without baggage.

I read the article which spoke about the CSU job. I will look for it but i read it right after Kent was hired . I believe it was in the Ft Collins newspapers which spoke of the situation. Ernie is a great coach ,he just crossed some barriers which people did not like.

I was negative on Ernie at first, but after doing some research I came around. I was not aware of the good graduation rates of his players in Oregon. That is a factor. I also bought into the bad character rap, which in hindsight appears to be an aberration of very bad judgement. In every other respect the guy is comparable to Dick Bennett as a high profile hire. No magic solutions in Pullman, but Ernie has a better chance than most to get some quality kids to WSU

Taking El C's lead i goggled Ernie Kent , CSU and found the sites . On April 10 and April 12,2012, there are articles by both CBS sports and the Local newspaper stating that CSU and Ernie kent had agreed to a deal.Just google Ernie Kent and CSU and the articles are shown. WSU made the deal and carried through on it.

Originally posted by gazooks2:
Taking El C's lead i goggled Ernie Kent , CSU and found the sites . On April 10 and April 12,2012, there are articles by both CBS sports and the Local newspaper stating that CSU and Ernie kent had agreed to a deal.Just google Ernie Kent and CSU and the articles are shown. WSU made the deal and carried through on it.
Taking El C's lead? I thought you were El C! If not, you two were the only guys on the board to refer to our previous coach as Bonehead.

Glad Cougar

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT