ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN Article on Coaches' Sideline Paranoia

425cougfan

Hall Of Fame
Apr 23, 2011

Nice Leach anecdote in here. More generally, this is another major factor cutting in favor of the IPF for me. As someone is quoted saying in the article, follow the money. I've thought for years that UW easily could have a mole watching, and perhaps even recording, practices on Rogers. Not saying it definitely happens, but think about all the cross-pollination of grad students, friends, etc. ... even Christian Caple, a huge UW apologist (and alumnus, as I recall) who hated WSU, was a WSU grad student. Really that crazy to think the week before Apple Cup, at least, they couldn't have someone in the library? So they'll spend tens of millions of dollars on a staff and recruiting expenses, in the context of a multi-billion $ industry, but nobody thinks it's possible some kid is paid $10k to record practices?

Reactions: Coug90

Nice Leach anecdote in here. More generally, this is another major factor cutting in favor of the IPF for me. As someone is quoted saying in the article, follow the money. I've thought for years that UW easily could have a mole watching, and perhaps even recording, practices on Rogers. Not saying it definitely happens, but think about all the cross-pollination of grad students, friends, etc. ... even Christian Caple, a huge UW apologist (and alumnus, as I recall) who hated WSU, was a WSU grad student. Really that crazy to think the week before Apple Cup, at least, they couldn't have someone in the library? So they'll spend tens of millions of dollars on a staff and recruiting expenses, in the context of a multi-billion $ industry, but nobody thinks it's possible some kid is paid $10k to record practices?
Unfortunately for something like this you kinda have to leave it up to game theory and hope others don’t cheat. There are those who say if you aren’t cheatin you aren’t tryin. Reading lips is one thing…at least that takes some skill. Filming a practice from the library or some other location on name your college campus which would be easy to do that from is a line that shouldn’t be crossed. And if a school did that and was found out should be the harshest penalty imaginable.

Unfortunately for something like this you kinda have to leave it up to game theory and hope others don’t cheat. There are those who say if you aren’t cheatin you aren’t tryin. Reading lips is one thing…at least that takes some skill. Filming a practice from the library or some other location on name your college campus which would be easy to do that from is a line that shouldn’t be crossed. And if a school did that and was found out should be the harshest penalty imaginable.
Well, if Belichek and the Patriots can do it…

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT