ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN Rivalry Week Thanksgiving Article

StormyCOUG42

Hall Of Fame
Aug 27, 2008
I don't know why this piss me off... but how are we not mentioned in this article? For those that haven't seen it, here are the games that are talked about:

Fried Turkey - Iron Bowl - #1 Alabama vs #6 Auburn
Cheesy Green Bean Casserole - Clemson (10-1) vs South Carolina (8-3)
Don't Talk Politics at the Dinner Table - The Egg Bowl - Ole Miss (5-6) vs Miss State (8-3)
Stuffing - Ohio State (9-2) vs Michigan (8-3)
The Black Sheep - LSU (8-3) vs A&M (7-4)
Cornbread - UCF (10-0) vs USF (9-1)
Failed Attempt at Mac and Cheese - Florida (4-6) vs FSU (4-6)

I kept reading the clearly east coast biased article thinking "surely, the Apple Cup... Grandma's famous apple pie". It was right there for the taking and its a match up against two top 20 teams with PAC 12 Championship game implications... AND NOTHING. What a bunch of east coast homers. To be clear, I don't have a problem with the games that were included as each "fits" the theme they were going for (i.e. failed attempt at mac and cheese being two underachieving Florida schools) but how our game isn't even mentioned when the name alone makes it an easy inclusion, is infuriating to me for some reason. No respect.

i couldn't find the article, so i can't comment on specifics, but i will say that, hard as it is to believe, espn.com has experienced a massive drop off in the quality of their content since they started laying writers off. it's never been good, but their content is truly abysmal at this point. basically rando-blog quality...

Michigan is the farthest west of any of the teams mentioned. Same reason McCaffrey didn't win the Heisman. Most of the voters didn't know what team he was on or what position he played.

I don't know why this piss me off... but how are we not mentioned in this article? For those that haven't seen it, here are the games that are talked about:

Fried Turkey - Iron Bowl - #1 Alabama vs #6 Auburn
Cheesy Green Bean Casserole - Clemson (10-1) vs South Carolina (8-3)
Don't Talk Politics at the Dinner Table - The Egg Bowl - Ole Miss (5-6) vs Miss State (8-3)
Stuffing - Ohio State (9-2) vs Michigan (8-3)
The Black Sheep - LSU (8-3) vs A&M (7-4)
Cornbread - UCF (10-0) vs USF (9-1)
Failed Attempt at Mac and Cheese - Florida (4-6) vs FSU (4-6)

I kept reading the clearly east coast biased article thinking "surely, the Apple Cup... Grandma's famous apple pie". It was right there for the taking and its a match up against two top 20 teams with PAC 12 Championship game implications... AND NOTHING. What a bunch of east coast homers. To be clear, I don't have a problem with the games that were included as each "fits" the theme they were going for (i.e. failed attempt at mac and cheese being two underachieving Florida schools) but how our game isn't even mentioned when the name alone makes it an easy inclusion, is infuriating to me for some reason. No respect.

We’re the Apple Pie. Unmentioned, but obvious.

Not too many people West of Denver know anything about WSU or UW, let alone care.
don't know, don't care, and i promise didn't spend more than 2 hours total on the piece before moving on to one of the other 3 assignments they had to finish for that day.

espn.com actually used to be a decent source for sports news and more long-form reporting. they did a good job mixing day to day news w/ longer features that were generally well-researched, and exhaustively sourced, not to mention well-written. now it's just a content factory. something happened? gotta get something up! it's just an opinion blog at this point and not a good one.

First of all, in the Internet age, sportswriting is some of the worst journalism imaginable. Proofreading and editing is a thing of the past, and it's difficult to find articles which have been checked for spelling, grammar, and God forbid accuracy. There's a class at the Murrow school where to make an error is essentially an entire class re-take, which would mean the careers of most current sportswriters would last for 2-3 articles.

Second, the rivalries the article focuses seem to make it pretty clear that the writer must be from SEC country but - like everyone else - has trace knowledge of the prestige-school rivalries. If you don't fit neatly into the SEC or legacy B10 program framework, you don't exist.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT