ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN's THE MORNING HS BBALL 5: Dominic Ellison.

mikalalas

Hall Of Fame
Feb 26, 2007
Watched ESPN's documentary about the Morning HS BBALL 5.

Very educational, historical, enlightening, entertaining, interesting, etc.

Dominic Ellison had so much potential, that altho yes he struggled academically, and had a weed, pot possession arrest, charge like Klay did, and was responsible for his bad decision in doing that, etc, Kevin Eastman sure didn't help him, and way overreacted, was too strict, did not get a long with, etc, with not only Dominic, but most of the other players on the team as well.

Suspending Dominic, and BOOTING, banning Dominic out of WSU was extreme for only a Pot, Weed arrest, charge.

Sampson also disciplined, pushed Dominic, but unlike Kevin Eastman, he got along with Dominic, related to him, and so even tho Dominic also challenged Sampson, the same way he did so to Eastman, Sampson was still able to handle, deal with that, and keep Dominic from getting into trouble too much, less amount of trouble that Eastman had with Dominic.

Eastman was NOT what Dominic, the team, etc, needed.

And it got worse for Dominic, as Pullman PPD economically profiled, and racially profiled, and stopped, harassed, without probable cause Dominic about 15,16 times before the Pot arrest, and about 15,16 more times AFTER his Pot Arrest, where Dominic was innocent each time stopped, harassed, profiled, etc.

And it wasn't just Dominic, it was done to all, most of the black players on team, and Dominic, and the rest of team, RIGHTFULLY HATED, DESPISED it.

No wonder why Eastman's team went from 17,18,19 wins, NIT for 2 seasons, to only about 9,10,11 wins for 2,3 seasons after that, despite having IKE FONTAINE, etc, on those losing teams.

And it probably hurt WSU recruiting at the time to.

Dominic later both played professional Euro Ball in Austria, as the best player on the team, made a decent amount of money, from that, and went to college in Austria, while he played professionally there.

What could have been for both WSU and Dominic if either Sampson had stayed, or if WSU had replaced Sampson with a different, good, competent, etc, HC, that could get along with, relate to the inner city, gang banger neighborhood, black players like Dominic Ellison that was on WSU's team.

And I am not saying that WSU, the HC, etc, needed to turn a blind eye, make excuses, let them get away with bad behavior, etc, but Sampson, Ken Bone were able to push players, discipline players, get along with players, relate to players, etc, and disciplined them appropriately by benching them, suspending them for games, etc, instead of overreacting and suspending them for whole seasons, booting them forever out of WSU, etc.

It's great that WSU has had, and still has coaches, whether Tony Bennet, Bone, Smith, etc, that while still appropriately disciplined, etc, still relates, get along with players.

Hopefully WSU does not hire a HC as bad as Eastman again, not only in recruiting, X's, and O's, etc, but also is not relating, not getting along with, and overreacting to players, and black players on team.

And hopefully Pullman PD gets better. And if it hasn't gotten better, then hopefully the WSU PRESIDENT, AD, HC, Mayor, people of Pullman, etc, hold Pullman PD accountable, etc.

If you all get the chance to watch the documentary, it's worth the watch.

And while not the best look for WSU, Pullman, etc, I guess even negative publicity, news, etc, can be turned to good, at least I hope so.

Eastman only followed the lead of his AD who was the real culprit and Dom was one of if not the best PG in WSU history.

Eastman was a solid basketball coach but a terrible recruiter. Sampson always thought rules didn’t apply to him, but in his defense that was universal in college basketball at the time.

Eastman was a solid basketball coach but a terrible recruiter. Sampson always thought rules didn’t apply to him, but in his defense that was universal in college basketball at the time.
Right on target regarding Eastman. Also, if Sampson hadn't turned a blind eye to Ellison's substance abuse issue, Eastman (& his AD) probably wouldn't have had to take a firmer position. IMO, there's a parallel with how Ken Bone allowed Reggie Moore to go basically unpunished for breaking team rules (weed) and then having to suspend Klay for an important game vs. UCLA for basically the same infraction. Had he dealt properly with Moore the first time, maybe that sends a message to the rest of the team later on. That game without Klay likely cost the Cougars an NCAA berth.

Glad Cougar

Eastman only followed the lead of his AD who was the real culprit and Dom was one of if not the best PG in WSU history.

Yeah WSU's AD was bad, and not just for hiring Eastman, and letting Price leave, etc. Also WSU Prez Rawlins, was also bad in addition to the AD, Eastman, Pullman PD.

Solid X's and 0's, just barely semi ok at recruiting IN THE BEGINNING, but what went down with Dominic, made it that much harder for Eastman to recruit.

And how Eastman handled, dealt with Dominic, and how he didn't relate, didn't get along, etc, with Dominic, was also bad.

He Eastman might have been a good fit, better at other colleges that didn't have Dominic Ellison's, but at WSU, he was a BAD FIT.

Some of that was on WSU Prez Rawlins, and the AD, but even tho Sampson broke recruiting rules, Sampson still pushed, disciplined, dole out fair consequences to Dominic, and was still able to relate to, get along with Dominic, despite Rawlins and the AD, unlike Eastman.

Right on target regarding Eastman. Also, if Sampson hadn't turned a blind eye to Ellison's substance abuse issue, Eastman (& his AD) probably wouldn't have had to take a firmer position. IMO, there's a parallel with how Ken Bone allowed Reggie Moore to go basically unpunished for breaking team rules (weed) and then having to suspend Klay for an important game vs. UCLA for basically the same infraction. Had he dealt properly with Moore the first time, maybe that sends a message to the rest of the team later on. That game without Klay likely cost the Cougars an NCAA berth.

Glad Cougar

That still DOES NOT EXCUSE EASTMAN for BOOTING, BANNING, Dominic FOREVER from WSU for a arrest on a recreational pot, weed charge.

Basically what Dominic did, got busted for, was no different then what KLAY, others did, got busted for that rightly only got benched, suspended for 1,2,3 games, etc.

Banning, booting, suspending FOREVER, WAS WAY THE HELL OF A OVERREACTION, especially since there have been WSU football and basketball players who have done way the hell worse then Dominic, and only got a minor slap on hand, benching, MINOR 1 game temporary semi suspension.

The consequence, should be fair, consistent, fit the crime, and not be a overreaction.

Can you imagine if KLAY had had the same pot incident as a sophomore, instead of as a Junior, and got caught as a sophomore, and got FOREVER kicked out of WSU for it, just like Dominic, by Bone?

That would have instantly killed WSU recruiting. And there would have been calls for Bone's firing EARLIER, and Bone might have been fired at the end of the season or end of the next season.

I honestly don't know if Ellison got booted just for the pot incident. Maybe so or may be there was more to it. I do know he struggled academically. I also know he was suspended a couple of games earlier in the season, so maybe there were multiple violations of the team substance abuse policy and he continued his pot use despite the suspension. Kevin Eastman was not a good fit at WSU and eventually got fired. I had a personal encounter with Eastman that showed a different side to him that most people never got to see (an act of kindness he showed to my young son at the time) which makes me more sympathetic to him than others may be. Even so, all this was so long ago I don't know that it matters much at this point.

Glad Cougar

Yeah WSU's AD was bad, and not just for hiring Eastman, and letting Price leave, etc. Also WSU Prez Rawlins, was also bad in addition to the AD, Eastman, Pullman PD.
Different AD's. Rick Dickson hired Kevin Eastman. Jim Sterk was the AD when Price left.

Glad Cougar

I honestly don't know if Ellison got booted just for the pot incident. Maybe so or may be there was more to it. I do know he struggled academically. I also know he was suspended a couple of games earlier in the season, so maybe there were multiple violations of the team substance abuse policy and he continued his pot use despite the suspension. Kevin Eastman was not a good fit at WSU and eventually got fired. I had a personal encounter with Eastman that showed a different side to him that most people never got to see (an act of kindness he showed to my young son at the time) which makes me more sympathetic to him than others may be. Even so, all this was so long ago I don't know that it matters much at this point.

Glad Cougar
Eastman had/has a really good basketball mind. Unfortunately, he was a poor communicator as a coach. Would have been a better fit as an assistant head coach maybe. Definitely not a good fit for WSU.

From what I remember/understand, Eastman and Ellison never clicked. From what I was told, it didn't seem like Ellison would have needed to do much to get pushed out the door. Seemed like Eastman wanted him run pretty much from the start.

Agree with 7I on Ellison. One of the best PGs in WSU history. He managed to play for Sampson who demands toughness. Eastman's decision but if you are going to push players out you better have someone to replace them with. Eastman couldn't recruit at this level.

Eastman had/has a really good basketball mind. Unfortunately, he was a poor communicator as a coach. Would have been a better fit as an assistant head coach maybe. Definitely not a good fit for WSU.

From what I remember/understand, Eastman and Ellison never clicked. From what I was told, it didn't seem like Ellison would have needed to do much to get pushed out the door. Seemed like Eastman wanted him run pretty much from the start.

Agree with 7I on Ellison. One of the best PGs in WSU history. He managed to play for Sampson who demands toughness. Eastman's decision but if you are going to push players out you better have someone to replace them with. Eastman couldn't recruit at this level.
I think Eastman ended up being a respected assistant coach for the Celtics in the NBA for several years, which fits with your assessment of him. Better assistant than head coach. And I agree, Eastman was not a good recruiter, especially in a place like Pullman. He wasn't shy complaining about those inherent challenges of recruiting on the Palouse, which is something other coaches have never publicly used as an excuse.

Glad Cougar

Eastman who I liked quite a lot had the same problem many do when a Head Coach, you have to assemble a staff to do the job. I have no idea if Coach Smith is a good recruiter or not, but he has Assistants who are excellent at recruiting. Has a former Head Coach on his bench that is evidently a pretty good game coach. Its the Head Man's job to get the staff and do the job.

Glad Cougar

Only reason I brought it up, and PARROTED what the ESPN Documentary, and Dominic, others were saying is because of ESPN's Documentary about Morning High School's 5, about the 5 returning starters from a Morning Highschool in Inglewood, CA, that won the State Championship the previous season and struggled, but came back to almost win the state championship in the follow up season.

The documentary covered, where they went to college, proball, NBA CBA, the ins and outs, details, etc, each step of the way, up until they turned about 40.

Dominic Ellison was one of the FIVE.

The way Dominic was treated by Pullman PD, and Eastman, was CRAP, at least according to the Documentary, Dominic, others, and even SaveFerris semi agrees, and what he SaveFerris said about Eastman not communicating, not getting along, not relating to, pushing Dominic out, and because of that Dominic being on a extremely short fuse, leash, etc, of Eastman, etc, was, is either right on, and at least semi agrees with the Documentary, etc, at worst.

But that said, like you said it's in the past. But this one the Documentary, wasn't a good look for WSU.

The only reason I brought it up is because of the Documentary, and because I think the Documentary is worth watching.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT