ADVERTISEMENT

Expansion

Sometimes extreme individual examples overshadow the reputation of an entire organization. Some of these places had more incidents, involving more people, more sports, and greater levels of cover-ups, than others. Baylor is an overall magnitude worse than UW in these areas in a similar manner to UW being an overall magnitude worse than Penn State....though Penn State's worst example was every bit as disgusting as Briles. And if you've followed UCLA's gymnastics issues, you know that UCLA had a very similar situation to Penn State, but in a less visible sport. Glass houses, stones, etc. But Flat's comment about Baylor is not without some basis in objective fact.

I agree with that. I had some very strong bias against Baylor for many years.

Last edited:
I never even heard about that. Yes...a big nothing buyer.

The inane "injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere" is yet further evidence that young people have no business being able to vote. Lol.

I've decided (even if nobody cares about my opinion) that until black guys like Dave Chappelle quit using the N-word, black people have no right to get worked up about white people saying it.

That said, we shouldn't say it and I've worked hard to get it out of my vocabulary (I said it A LOT in the 70's and 80's), but I refuse to be supportive of a cause that refuses to police itself.

Reactions: 79COUG
I've decided (even if nobody cares about my opinion) that until black guys like Dave Chappelle quit using the N-word, black people have no right to get worked up about white people saying it.

That said, we shouldn't say it and I've worked hard to get it out of my vocabulary (I said it A LOT in the 70's and 80's), but I refuse to be supportive of a cause that refuses to police itself.

I have talked to a lot of black people, acquaintances, friends, etc, who black, about this.

And blacks are split on this. About half think that black people shouldn't use the N word. About half think that it can be ok in certain semi limited situations.

Of the Half that think it can be semi ok in certain limited situations, they explained it to me like this:

Black people have adopted the N word in much the same way that others have adopted racist names that thrown at them.

It was, is a way that they make peace with, deal with being called the N word, and so they call themselves and other black people N word as a way to deal with being called N word by non blacks.

It's also part of their black people slang, street language, etc, that is semi ok to them to use in certain limited situations, between and only between black people, etc.

According to them, black comedians, etc, using the N word is wrong, because there are non blacks in audience, and because it's in a more public way.

They also think that it's wrong for black musicians, actors, etc, to use the N word except for Rappers, actors who are trying to tell a story, etc.

While I disagree with them in that I don't think it's ok for blacks to use the N word, etc, I do semi understand their viewpoint.

And all I can do is try to set a good example by not ever using that word, and by trying to discourage black people and others from using the N Word around me by asking them to please not use the N word around me, and saying that the N word is a OFFENSIVE word to me, etc.

Exactly.

I cringed slight when my kids started “Eenie meenie miney Mo,” just wondering what they were going to catch by its toe. Turns out it’s not the same as when I was doing it in the late 70s.

A) I'm shocked to hear about your use of it, especially considering your bashing of all your racist neighbors.

B) I grew up hearing it and it felt ugly and dirty to me, even as a child. My house was no stranger to racial slurs, but I often wondered whyy parents would say such things about people we basically had no contact with. When we moved to Pasco in 81, my dad (a Vietnam vet) suddenly stopped using Asian slurs and became a fan of Hispanic slurs. Mind you this man wasn't racist, but he was a hell of a bigot.

But in general, slurs are for the intellectually lazy.

A) I'm shocked to hear about your use of it, especially considering your bashing of all your racist neighbors.

B) I grew up hearing it and it felt ugly and dirty to me, even as a child. My house was no stranger to racial slurs, but I often wondered whyy parents would say such things about people we basically had no contact with. When we moved to Pasco in 81, my dad (a Vietnam vet) suddenly stopped using Asian slurs and became a fan of Hispanic slurs. Mind you this man wasn't racist, but he was a hell of a bigot.

But in general, slurs are for the intellectually lazy.

I grew up in the 70's and lived two blocks south of railroad tracks that separated my neighborhood from a black neighborhood. We did NOT have a good relationship with the kids from the other side of the tracks. My neighborhood was a total trash neighborhood...but we "knew" that we were better than those "other" people.

A lot of my criticisms of racist folks today is coming from a background where I was neck deep in it. I know a lot of the feelings that racist people have/had because I grew up in an environment where almost everyone was that way....including me. Some people learn as they get older and try to change. Some people don't.

I grew up in the 70's and lived two blocks south of railroad tracks that separated my neighborhood from a black neighborhood. We did NOT have a good relationship with the kids from the other side of the tracks. My neighborhood was a total trash neighborhood...but we "knew" that we were better than those "other" people.

A lot of my criticisms of racist folks today is coming from a background where I was neck deep in it. I know a lot of the feelings that racist people have/had because I grew up in an environment where almost everyone was that way....including me. Some people learn as they get older and try to change. Some people don't.

Reactions: Flatlandcoug
I cringed slight when my kids started “Eenie meenie miney Mo,” just wondering what they were going to catch by its toe. Turns out it’s not the same as when I was doing it in the late 70s.

That's funny. I didn't even know that Mo was a black guy.

Reactions: kougkurt
"Well let me tell you this my kraut, mick friend, Johnny Fontaine never gets that role"
That generation was brutal. Northern European Protestants had largely mixed by then, or they respected each other - English - Swedes - Germans - Norwegians etc. But the Southern and Eastern Europeans were relatively new and living in their own neighborhoods, so it was all Polack, Hunky, Kike, Wop, Mick. Just rolled off their tongue's like they were saying hello.

Reactions: Flatlandcoug
"Well let me tell you this my kraut, mick friend, Johnny Fontaine never gets that role"
That generation was brutal. Northern European Protestants had largely mixed by then, or they respected each other - English - Swedes - Germans - Norwegians etc. But the Southern and Eastern Europeans were relatively new and living in their own neighborhoods, so it was all Polack, Hunky, Kike, Wop, Mick. Just rolled off their tongue's like they were saying hello.
One of my grandmothers fits that description. She was half German, my grandpa's family was early colonial settlers and she adopted that as her own heritage. Hated everyone else equally - Italians, Puerto Ricans, Jews, etc. She even managed to hate the Irish...completely ignoring that her mother was 100% Irish.

We've got a very long history of bias against one group or another (actually, it's usually been more than one at a time). Anyone who was distinguishable - whether it was physically or via their language/accent, or manner of dress - has been singled out for discrimination. Irish, Italians, numerous Eastern European ethnicities, Blacks, Asians. Catholics and Jews have had their turns too. We do it with some strange twists too - like in the Civil War or pre-Civil War era....when abolitionists working against Black slavery believed that the Irish immigrants were practically subhuman spreaders of disease & filth, capable only of manual labor. Or when the entire population - right up to the president - believed that it was worth fighting a war against Black slavery, but that Black people weren't suitable to fight in it. Or in the WWII era, when we thought it was terrible what the Germans were doing to the Jews, and someone should help them escape....as long as they didn't come to the US.

Our history in that regard is a lot like Netflix movies - the plot stays the same, it's just the characters who change.

One of my grandmothers fits that description. She was half German, my grandpa's family was early colonial settlers and she adopted that as her own heritage. Hated everyone else equally - Italians, Puerto Ricans, Jews, etc. She even managed to hate the Irish...completely ignoring that her mother was 100% Irish.

We've got a very long history of bias against one group or another (actually, it's usually been more than one at a time). Anyone who was distinguishable - whether it was physically or via their language/accent, or manner of dress - has been singled out for discrimination. Irish, Italians, numerous Eastern European ethnicities, Blacks, Asians. Catholics and Jews have had their turns too. We do it with some strange twists too - like in the Civil War or pre-Civil War era....when abolitionists working against Black slavery believed that the Irish immigrants were practically subhuman spreaders of disease & filth, capable only of manual labor. Or when the entire population - right up to the president - believed that it was worth fighting a war against Black slavery, but that Black people weren't suitable to fight in it. Or in the WWII era, when we thought it was terrible what the Germans were doing to the Jews, and someone should help them escape....as long as they didn't come to the US.

Our history in that regard is a lot like Netflix movies - the plot stays the same, it's just the characters who change.

...and many idiots think the US is the only country in history to have racist citizens. Ed?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT