ADVERTISEMENT

Feldman hinting on Twitter Leach might hire Leavitt

Good coach; but at 63, I wonder what his goals are? If he still has some fire in his belly, I could see him wanting to work for a HC who will let him run the D....

You're 63, you know the offense will have you covered...why not come here? I mean, if you think you can put together a decent ***/** defense that gives up 28-31 a game, why not? It's got to be a hell of a lot more fun than Tallahassee with a hell of a lot less pressure. Never been there, but I spent a fair amount of time in southern Alabama. It's not God's Country.

But that said, I'm drunk. Too much box wine, a really good movie (Ford vs. Ferrari). My optimism makes me youthful.

Reactions: ATACFD and kougkurt
Looks like Leavitt is talking to Colorado State about their HC position.

Feldman is Leach’s online hype man, but they are close. He might be speculating but if he’s connecting Leavitt to Wazzu I think there’s some juice behind it. He was the first to break that he was leaving FSU.
Possible, but as quickly as it came out I read it as more Feldman’s thought than anything from Leach.

Leavitt has had some success and built some solid defenses. Probably would be fine here, I just don’t find him particularly interesting as a candidate.

Sounds like CML doing the second stage of flirting (you know, have your friend tell the person in which you have interest that you want them to talk with you; girls learn to do that in elementary school; boys take a little longer).....

Could have come from Leavitt's agent. These reporters are mouthpieces for agents, basically. They get "scoops" that sometimes are legit and sometimes are wishful thinking, and they publicize them with minimal screening. It then helps the reporter build a reputation as having scoops, especially if/when something they were the first to report on actually pans out.

Sounds like CML doing the second stage of flirting (you know, have your friend tell the person in which you have interest that you want them to talk with you; girls learn to do that in elementary school; boys take a little longer).....

When you say "sounds like" if you are getting that from Arkansas fans take into account they have officially not been right about anything in their coaching search. They are batting .000.

Last edited:
Ping, you are right in what you say about their batting average.

None the less, if CML actually met with anyone from the U of Arky, even second or third hand, then my flirting comment is probably close. But that form of flirting seldom if ever leads to anything.

As for the Arkansas fans and their batting average, put yourself in their position for a moment. They probably deserve some sympathy. They always had the crummiest deal in the SW conference, being the only non-Texas team. When they got the chance to get out from under UT's arrogant thumb and conference control, moving in the process to what they considered to be a higher profile conference, I'm told that there were celebrations across the state. But wait...and you want to win, too?? The reality of moving from the SW Conf/Big 12 situation with Texas, OU and TAMU and instead moving to a conference with Florida, Alabama, LSU, Auburn, Georgia and TAMU took a while to set in. The razorback fans I know convinced themselves that they would be able to recruit at an unheard of level in Texas (and remember, Texas for Arkansas recruiting is and has always been what California is for WSU recruiting) with the SEC brand behind them. Of course, it has not worked out that way. So now they are consigned to mediocrity in the SEC, where the very top of their glass ceiling is probably finishing 3rd in their division. Add to that some pretty sketchy head coach hires...their AD at the time must have been really weak...and they find themselves in the basement, looking for a magical, silver bullet head coach to somehow keep their football program from permanently joining Vandy, Kentucky, Ole Miss, Mizzou, Miss St and South Carolina in a battle to just be considered relevant. Unfortunately, the SEC as a whole is stacked against its lower half, and other than the occasional (unusual) alignment of stars, the conference is essentially in a permanent divide between the football haves and the football have nots. And Arkansas is in the have not group. If the PAC were not as level as it is by design, we might be in the same situation ourselves.

We have harassed the UW on this board for using coffee cups of cash to recruit. Guys, the UW has nothing on the SEC (especially the football powers within the SEC) in terms of cheating. It is an art form there. UW's cheating at its worst would not have even gotten them a front row seat in the SEC. And the conference head office just buries its collective head in the sand, because there is no upside at all in trying to be legitimate. It would take the FBI with an anti-mafia sort of struggle to put a dent in it.

What is your proof of huge cheating in the SEC? I, however look at Oregon’s recruiting under Cristo and think immediately, seriously, they have to be cheating. . . I have no proof to back up my thinking/suspision.

Reactions: longtimecoug
What is your proof of huge cheating in the SEC? I, however look at Oregon’s recruiting under Cristo and think immediately, seriously, they have to be cheating. . . I have no proof to back up my thinking/suspision.

You arent gonna find proof. The $ is hidden. Ole Miss turned heads with their top class a few years back... Freeze was indignant when asked if they were cheating.... guess what? They were.

Oregon has the fire power to land some big time kids... I wouldnt discount what Mario learned at Bama...

Tosh Lupoi.

Reactions: TrumpCoug
I agree, something is going on there, Phil is getting old and wants that national title

You arent gonna find proof. The $ is hidden. Ole Miss turned heads with their top class a few years back... Freeze was indignant when asked if they were cheating.... guess what? They were.

Oregon has the fire power to land some big time kids... I wouldnt discount what Mario learned at Bama...
it clear that something is going on down here, but you are correct, the money is hidden

It does seem as though they have it setup down there where everyone keeps their mouth shut from the schools/Alum to the conference office. There's been a few instances of teams ratting on other teams (according to fans of course) in the past, but in the last 15-20 years, it's been a black hole of silence coming out of that conference on any violations, minor or major. In that whole Cam Newton deal the conference basically covered for all parties involved.

Someone was on one of these boards saying Thibodeaux was had for a specific dollar amount (believe it was $300k), having basically auctioned himself off. He was an animal in that conference title game.

In the twenties to number four? Whatever do you mean?

From thousands of miles away, I have no proof either. That said, I am reminded of the little southern joke that SEC stands for "Sure, everybody cheats!". If the locals find this to be common knowledge and to the point of being amusing then I will take their word for it and suggest that others do likewise.

As gibbons has remarked, Lupoi of coffee cup notoriety was instantly grabbed by Bama without a word of protest by any of their alumni. And no doubt, any surprise or alarm from other of the SEC powers.

Where there is smoke there is fire and the SEC has been emanating tire fire smoke for years.

From thousands of miles away, I have no proof either. That said, I am reminded of the little southern joke that SEC stands for "Sure, everybody cheats!". If the locals find this to be common knowledge and to the point of being amusing then I will take their word for it and suggest that others do likewise.

As gibbons has remarked, Lupoi of coffee cup notoriety was instantly grabbed by Bama without a word of protest by any of their alumni. And no doubt, any surprise or alarm from other of the SEC powers.

Where there is smoke there is fire and the SEC has been emanating tire fire smoke for years.
It’s not clear yet how the NCAA decision allowing players to monetize their name image and likeness will shake out but it’s at least possible it will make the most common form of cheating legal. Alums will be able to give money directly to players under the guise of paying for endorsements/advertising.

Remains to be seen if that serves to level the playing field or if it tips it further in the direction of a few elite sports programs. My guess is it will be the latter.

Reactions: cr8zyncalif
It’s not clear yet how the NCAA decision allowing players to monetize their name image and likeness will shake out but it’s at least possible it will make the most common form of cheating legal. Alums will be able to give money directly to players under the guise of paying for endorsements/advertising.

Remains to be seen if that serves to level the playing field or if it tips it further in the direction of a few elite sports programs. My guess is it will be the latter.

The scholarship limit helps. Some $ might get the kid there, who pays back ups for appearances? Maybe a few bucks but if the kid isnt on the field how much $ is there for him?

Kids are easily sold on sh1t that doesnt matter. If you want to be educated, choose the best academic school. A fancy locker room isnt going to help that. If you want to play in the NFL, choose a school with the best coaches and most playing time opportunity. Picking a school with a loded roster and bad coaches isnt going to help.

Kids are so easily swayed by stupid sh1t that doesnt matter it is ridiculous. It’s trading short $ for long $.

The scholarship limit helps. Some $ might get the kid there, who pays back ups for appearances? Maybe a few bucks but if the kid isnt on the field how much $ is there for him?

Kids are easily sold on sh1t that doesnt matter. If you want to be educated, choose the best academic school. A fancy locker room isnt going to help that. If you want to play in the NFL, choose a school with the best coaches and most playing time opportunity. Picking a school with a loded roster and bad coaches isnt going to help.

Kids are so easily swayed by stupid sh1t that doesnt matter it is ridiculous. It’s trading short $ for long $.
It's not just the kids. It's the parents too. I don't know how many parents we screaming at coaches to put their kid in the game. The local HS where I am, I overheard a parent berating a coach that his kid's scholarship chances are being ruined because he refuses to let his son throw more. As an official, I know lots of HS coaches, and they all confirm that parents are convinced their kid is deserving of a scholarship and if it wan't for the offense scheme, the coaching, the play selection, playing time, etc, that their kid would get one.

My kids school recently hired as AD a former AD from a huge school district (he moved back to his hometown to enjoy the small town life), and in the parents' meeting, the first thing he said was "Your kid will almost certainly not get an athletic scholarship, even to a DIII school. If you want your kids to get scholarships, the number of academic ones FAR exceed athletics ones. So don't bug me or my coaches about playing time or your kid's scholarship chances." (Not quite word for word, but close enough.) I greatly appreciated that tidbit. And in talking with him afterward (he's also the school PE teacher), I thanked him for dispelling that idea. He laughed and said, "Don't worry. Both my coaches and I will still get blasted by obsessed parents."

So, yeah, it's not just the kids. It's the parents that get enamored with all the glitz.

It's not just the kids. It's the parents too. I don't know how many parents we screaming at coaches to put their kid in the game. The local HS where I am, I overheard a parent berating a coach that his kid's scholarship chances are being ruined because he refuses to let his son throw more. As an official, I know lots of HS coaches, and they all confirm that parents are convinced their kid is deserving of a scholarship and if it wan't for the offense scheme, the coaching, the play selection, playing time, etc, that their kid would get one.

My kids school recently hired as AD a former AD from a huge school district (he moved back to his hometown to enjoy the small town life), and in the parents' meeting, the first thing he said was "Your kid will almost certainly not get an athletic scholarship, even to a DIII school. If you want your kids to get scholarships, the number of academic ones FAR exceed athletics ones. So don't bug me or my coaches about playing time or your kid's scholarship chances." (Not quite word for word, but close enough.) I greatly appreciated that tidbit. And in talking with him afterward (he's also the school PE teacher), I thanked him for dispelling that idea. He laughed and said, "Don't worry. Both my coaches and I will still get blasted by obsessed parents."

So, yeah, it's not just the kids. It's the parents that get enamored with all the glitz.

They have no idea lol. The fastest path to a college scholarship is by studying. Maybe if you know your kid is a dummy, then you chase some athletic $.

There is an industry built around the hope of an athletic scholarship. Specialized training, off season camps and coaching, supplements, recruiting websites... all this crap that kids and parents read. They see some kid 3 hours away get a scholarship and they look at their kid who is roughly the same size, maybe plays the same position... wonder why he got $ and their kid didnt. Blame the coach for not giving him more plays or padding his stats.

BCS football is a DNA game. You either wake up in the morning with it or you dont.

This is a huge problem at our school. And we’re in Montana! I consider many of the problem parents my friends, but so many of them are delusional.

And it’s not always related to scholarships. Sometimes it’s just playtime or who starts. My stance with folks is that it makes no sense for a coach, who wants to win state championships no less, to sit a kid in basketball just because he doesn’t play football. And that goes for any sport.

Parents and fans riding officials is another huge problem. So much so that there is a shortage of officials now and legitimate concern about possibly needing to cancel games. It’s become somewhat of an epidemic here.

There is an industry built around the hope of an athletic scholarship. Specialized training, off season camps and coaching, supplements, recruiting websites... all this crap that kids and parents read.

Couldn’t agree more. This type of thing was just becoming pervasive when my kids were teenagers. I saw parents literally spend themselves into bankruptcy to keep their promising kid on the best club teams and pay for travel and trainers etc. This was soccer and basketball. Not sure about football at that time.

The ironic thing was, if they had saved and invested the 5 or 6 grand per year they spent from the time their kid was 10, they would have had enough to cover most if not all of the cost of a college education.

Couldn’t agree more. This type of thing was just becoming pervasive when my kids were teenagers. I saw parents literally spend themselves into bankruptcy to keep their promising kid on the best club teams and pay for travel and trainers etc. This was soccer and basketball. Not sure about football at that time.

The ironic thing was, if they had saved and invested the 5 or 6 grand per year they spent from the time their kid was 10, they would have had enough to cover most if not all of the cost of a college education.

I wonder how parents are in areas with a ton of BCS talent? It’s one thing to think lil Tommy can play BCS ball. It’s another thing when lil Tommy actually lines up across from the kid verballed to Ohio State and has his arms removed and shoved up his arse.

Reactions: SDCoug

In baseball, it's to the point where a kids pretty much has to have been playing travel ball (usually since 8 years old or younger ... in Florida and some other southern states they start at age 6), which is thousands of dollars per season (plus costs for equipment, hotels, uniforms, gas, etc.), with most kids also going to a lot of camps and getting private lessons, just to have a realistic shot at playing varsity high school ball, at least at bigger schools.

And that's in a sport with partial or no scholarships for most players and even most players who get drafted making peanuts.

Obviously not true in all cases or at smaller schools, but the "industry" is in full swing.

In baseball, it's to the point where a kids pretty much has to have been playing travel ball (usually since 8 years old or younger ... in Florida and some other southern states they start at age 6), which is thousands of dollars per season (plus costs for equipment, hotels, uniforms, gas, etc.), with most kids also going to a lot of camps and getting private lessons, just to have a realistic shot at playing varsity high school ball, at least at bigger schools.

And that's in a sport with partial or no scholarships for most players and even most players who get drafted making peanuts.

Obviously not true in all cases or at smaller schools, but the "industry" is in full swing.
Even with all that, there's the DNA factor. You can teach schemes and techniques, but you can't teach a kid to run a 4.4 40, and you can't teach instinct. The player either has those things or they don't - and if they don't, no amount of coaching is going to make them appear.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT