ADVERTISEMENT

First Recruit

7ICoug

Hall Of Fame
Jan 30, 2003
Aaron Cheatum 6-7 PF out of East Los Angleles CC. He averaged 13.5 and 6.6 boards just lead ELAC to their first title in 42 years.

Broken news on Twitter by Brad Winton of Juco recruiting.

He is ranked as # 25 in the list of the top 50 juco recruits on one list. He is a 6'7-6'8 240 pd power forward . His team won their conference championship but were eliminated in the playeroffs by Citrus CC. but he scored 27 pts and had 17 rbs in the close contest. He is one of the first pieces to fall into place. I have not being able to locate videos on yet.The stats i found on him show 15.2 pts and 8.9 rbs shooting 34.4 % from 3 pt land with 41 blks. so he can shoot outside and leave his feet. sounds like a solid recruit.

This post was edited on 4/21 7:56 PM by ElComanche

This post was edited on 4/21 7:56 PM by ElComanche

I saw the #25 ranking (Peters was #45-ish) and another JC site had him at #44. I haven't found video either but a BU site says he shoots a lot of 3's. Looks like he makes a decent clip.
This post was edited on 4/21 9:06 PM by SaveFerris

Well Ernie s first recruit appears to be a solid one. He is ranked higher than the juco Morgan who recently decommitted. So one can assume that he is a probable upgrade .I,for one,do not want anymore projects but guys who can play right away.The cougs have more needs and let s see who else they can snag this late in the game.

From the story Britton put up

This guy sounds like the sort of player they used to get at Oregon, Jovan Catron with an outside shot and a bit more quicks. A big that can hit a three, run the floor, and move folks around underneath for boards, clean-ups on the offensive glass, and a bit of post game. He fills a need, and if he is what the story says he is, he'll probably be starting by midseason because we need somebody with a presence down low. I just hope he isn't in love with the 3 to the exclusion of the rest of his offensive game, like DJ Shelton was.

This could end up being a very good signing....but I always have a little skepticism when I see what other schools offer these guys. In Cheatum's case, Central Florida, Tulane, Idaho, Morehead State, Cal State Bakersfield. I'm expecting that Kent will eventually be recruiting kids who are being looked at by the high majors.

On the other hand, one of our best players in recent years actually came from Tulane!

Glad Cougar

Originally posted by Glad Cougar:
This could end up being a very good signing....but I always have a little skepticism when I see what other schools offer these guys. In Cheatum's case, Central Florida, Tulane, Idaho, Morehead State, Cal State Bakersfield. I'm expecting that Kent will eventually be recruiting kids who are being looked at by the high majors.

On the other hand, one of our best players in recent years actually came from Tulane!

Glad Cougar
That is more likely to happen next season. Most schools have filled their allocated scholarships in the early signing period, so most majors and mid majors are not offering players now. So, what you are hoping to find now are players that were overlooked because they improved a lot this past season. Also, players that have begun to physically mature late.

The players are mostly picked over now, but there are still some jewels out there.

Re: hey... check this out on Alford

Very nice PG and Ernie likes several ball handlers.

I like what little i have seen of him. He should do well offensively. I am hoping he is the type of player who can put a lot of presssure on the ball defensively to make up for his smaller stature. Kent and staff are certainly going after players who are more physically talented than the previous regime. When i heard that last years team were going to apply more pressure. i thought good luck. One needs quick and fast players to do so. With the potential addition of this guy ,Davis and Trammal,the athleticism may greatly increase, Now he needs to find another big man to fill out his recruiting. I hear that he is in Pullman visiting today,so one can probably expect a commit soon.The nonsense that Pullman is a hard place to recruit to is just that.If a good coach plays exciting basketball in a tough league ,the good players will come.I like what i have seen so far of Kent's recruiting at this late date.

Just my $0.02 from what I can see from my chair.

He has a big backside, and it appears that he can move while carrying some weight. That is more important under the basket than another 2 or 3 inches of height.

Both his appearance and comments from one of his coaches suggests that he needs to get into better condition and that will probably mean losing a little weight, as well.

If he is in condition and can run, he could lose 10-15 pounds and still be a rebounding force, if he knows how to use his rear end to establish position.

If he can shoot 35% from 3 point range, then he can learn to shoot a 12' jumper. Probably has never practiced it much, but he could develop it. Especially if we lack a true center that is an offensive strength, somebody will have to be able to shoot an intermediate jumper to keep defenses honest.

My biggest questions with JC kids usually center around footwork, body position and floor awareness...especially on the defensive end. If he is willing to work hard and has an attitude that is conducive to learning, he could be helpful next year.

The fact that he had a productive game (27pts,17rbs) in his last playoff game says a lot. The better players rise up when all is on the line, Also in playoff games the better players and teams are competing,so it says a lot. I have yet to locate any video on this guy,which is unusual.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT