ADVERTISEMENT

For those that love a little Wulff discussion......

Flatlandcoug

Hall Of Fame
Aug 14, 2007
Wichita, Kansas
310659464_603621404526276_6556830669161758804_n.jpg

Saw this on the internet. Wulff definitely deserves to be in this list. I'm surprised that he isn't higher in the list and it reflects a lack of understanding how bad his first two seasons really were. That said, as personal and frustrating as our experience with him might have been, the rest of the country doesn't really remember him. The University of Kansas has the honor of being on the list four times with Nebraska and Colorado nipping at their heels with three each.

Not sure that Art Briles deserves the number one spot but he certainly was a crooked sumbitch.

Funny to see Tyrone Willingham on there twice. Nice to see the mutts with two in the Top 20. Anyway, just a different perspective for those with strong feelings about bad coaching.

Hugh Freeze is a mixed bag. He took Ole Miss to new heights - because he was cheating. Privately, I doubt many Rebels fans regret those program highs.

I’ve been saying for a bit that Jimmy was worse than Wulff. Good to see the experts agree. It looked a little worse a couple weeks ago but still crazy to see how little Jimmy could do with the talent he had.

Curious how they came up with this list. There are some really bad coaches who aren’t listed, and a bunch who should be higher.

Not sure Scott Frost really should be #4. He was bad, but Riley had already steered the program toward the ground. And I don’t think he was worse than Willingham, Wulff, or Embree…among others.

Of course, like the rest of you, I smiled when I saw Jimmy's name. His boss should have been on the "worst AD" list. However, I have to take issue with the two Tyrone selections. Why was the Notre Dame selection so much farther down the list? Notre Dame is not usually stupid about football. We expect UW to do dumb things.

Reactions: Flatlandcoug
Curious how they came up with this list. There are some really bad coaches who aren’t listed, and a bunch who should be higher.

Not sure Scott Frost really should be #4. He was bad, but Riley had already steered the program toward the ground. And I don’t think he was worse than Willingham, Wulff, or Embree…among others.

The list is certainly subjective and not in the order that I would put it. They put a few coaches high on the list because they were dirty.....but frankly, the universities didn't suffer long term negative consequences because of them. Baylor barely blinked after Briles left and Ole Miss was back in the Top 25 about five years later. I would put Wulff in the Top 20 and maybe even Top 10. Some of the guys on the list were actual program killers where they took good programs and buried them.

What makes lists like this interesting is that they put Rich Rodriguez at Michigan at #9 and Brady Hoke at #50 even though the program improved every year under his watch and he obviously set the table for Hoke's 11-2 first season.....after which point Hoke went into a steady decline before getting fired.

For someone asking why Willingham was lower for Notre Dame than UW.....I'm guessing it's because Notre Dame didn't know that Willingham sucked because he had done "OK" at Stanford. After watching the Irish flounder under Willingham, it's baffling that the mutts hired him.

The list seems the give bonus points for scandal. No way Hugh or Art belong near the top 50, let alone the top 10. Herm Edwards and Todd Graham? Where's John Mackiovic? Players mutinied against him and he's not on the list. Plus he went 10-18.

Reactions: froropmkr72
Of course, like the rest of you, I smiled when I saw Jimmy's name. His boss should have been on the "worst AD" list. However, I have to take issue with the two Tyrone selections. Why was the Notre Dame selection so much farther down the list? Notre Dame is not usually stupid about football. We expect UW to do dumb things.
Because, like everything college football, this list is rife with east coast bias.

Reactions: cr8zyncalif
Hugh Freeze is a mixed bag. He took Ole Miss to new heights - because he was cheating. Privately, I doubt many Rebels fans regret those program highs.
So is Art Briles. And I doubt many Bears fans regret the highs.

310659464_603621404526276_6556830669161758804_n.jpg

Saw this on the internet. Wulff definitely deserves to be in this list. I'm surprised that he isn't higher in the list and it reflects a lack of understanding how bad his first two seasons really were. That said, as personal and frustrating as our experience with him might have been, the rest of the country doesn't really remember him. The University of Kansas has the honor of being on the list four times with Nebraska and Colorado nipping at their heels with three each.

Not sure that Art Briles deserves the number one spot but he certainly was a crooked sumbitch.

Funny to see Tyrone Willingham on there twice. Nice to see the mutts with two in the Top 20. Anyway, just a different perspective for those with strong feelings about bad coaching.

I guess it depends on how you define "worst". Dorrell was 8-15 at CU. Hawkins was 19-39 at CU. Willingham was 11-37 at uw. Those are gaudy numbers compared to Wulff.

Most of those programs had higher expectations and hired coaches people have heard of. The fact that no one knew Wulff and most people, other than Coug fans, still don't, helped his positioning on the list. If people looked at the actual Won Loss record, and margin of defeat, Wulff is top ten material.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT