ADVERTISEMENT

Fournette out; Minshews burden just got bigger

BleedCrimsonandGray

Hall Of Fame
Oct 2, 2007
Not sure why I'm surprised, but in the never ending circus of cashing checks while putting out an inferior product, Jacksonville cut Gardners best chance of not getting jailbreak blitzed every down.

He will be in my prayers.

They also traded away another good defensive player they had to put on the franchise tag, too. https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29771509/jaguars-agree-trade-de-yannick-ngakoue-vikings

Looks increasingly like the organization is completely incompetent, that they want to tank (they have the highest odds of getting the #1 pick out there, I believe), or both.

Rough spot for Minshew, who I think will acquit himself very well in the circumstances but he's in a bad situation.

They also traded away another good defensive player they had to put on the franchise tag, too. https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29771509/jaguars-agree-trade-de-yannick-ngakoue-vikings

Looks increasingly like the organization is completely incompetent, that they want to tank (they have the highest odds of getting the #1 pick out there, I believe), or both.

Rough spot for Minshew, who I think will acquit himself very well in the circumstances but he's in a bad situation.
I read the same article after the original post. My immediate thought was why would anyone want that guy on their team. Sounds like a locker room cancer to me.

Reactions: cr8zyncalif
Reliving the Cincinnati Bungles era. Do nothing. Fire the coach every 3 years or so to retain season ticket holders.

The Jags now have $30 million in cap space. They could sign Devonte Freeman and Jadeveon Clowney for $15-20M, and they'll be upgrades at both spots (assuming Freeman can stay on the field). If they can make some smart moves between free agents and trades, they could quickly fill some gaps (they have 10 picks in 2021, including 2 1st rounders and 2 2nd rounders).

There are some solid players - at least short-term role players - available in free agency, and there are moves that could be made on the trading block. They could improve quickly....unless they're just trying to tank the season and win the Trevor Lawrence sweepstakes.

Reliving the Cincinnati Bungles era. Do nothing. Fire the coach every 3 years or so to retain season ticket holders.

Fournette was in the 40's for PFF's top RB's. He's not good. Plus his attitude sucks. Trashed Minshew last year. I'm guessing Jacksonville can find similar production from the waiver wire.

That being said, Minshew doesn't have much help. Though he didn't have a ton of help last year and had a pretty decent rookie campaign.

The Jags now have $30 million in cap space. They could sign Devonte Freeman and Jadeveon Clowney for $15-20M, and they'll be upgrades at both spots (assuming Freeman can stay on the field). If they can make some smart moves between free agents and trades, they could quickly fill some gaps (they have 10 picks in 2021, including 2 1st rounders and 2 2nd rounders).
There are some solid players - at least short-term role players - available in free agency, and there are moves that could be made on the trading block. They could improve quickly....unless they're just trying to tank the season and win the Trevor Lawrence sweepstakes.
Exactly what they are doing- tanking to get a shot at Lawrence. Hopefully Minshew plays well enough to help derail this plan.

You wonder how many QBs that might have turned out to be the next Elway or Young were preempted by getting drafted to the Browns or the Raiders (Carr) or the Jags.

In the last 20 years, the Browns have by themselves drafted the following 1st round QBs: Tim Couch, Brady Quinn, Brandon Weeden, Johnny Manziel and Baker Mayfield. It's tempting to think these guys are/were all busts, but how many star QBs ever get off the ground with toxic management, the coaching carousel, no OL, no defensive turnovers, and spending their first 5 years in the league needing to throw for 500 yards every game for a chance at a tie? There are few QBs historically who are so good they could retain their star power under center for Cleveland.

PS how interesting will TB be this year with Fournette and Brady and Evans? Get somebody good in the slot and it would be hard to go under .500

Reactions: BiggsCoug
You wonder how many QBs that might have turned out to be the next Elway or Young were preempted by getting drafted to the Browns or the Raiders (Carr) or the Jags.

In the last 20 years, the Browns have by themselves drafted the following 1st round QBs: Tim Couch, Brady Quinn, Brandon Weeden, Johnny Manziel and Baker Mayfield. It's tempting to think these guys are/were all busts, but how many star QBs ever get off the ground with toxic management, the coaching carousel, no OL, no defensive turnovers, and spending their first 5 years in the league needing to throw for 500 yards every game for a chance at a tie? There are few QBs historically who are so good they could retain their star power under center for Cleveland.

PS how interesting will TB be this year with Fournette and Brady and Evans? Get somebody good in the slot and it would be hard to go under .500

QB, imo, is the most poorly evaluated, poorly coached and poorly fit to scheme of all positions. For a position that is so crucial to your offense you would think coaches would be better at identifying who the best players are. I have never seen a position where guys were shoved into a scheme where everyone knows you're being asked to do what they're bad at..... yet still asked to do it.

All those guys you listed have to be pissed as hell that their careers went the way they did. Bad team, bad coaching, bad scheme... and they are run out of the league inside 5 years while coaches go on to other jobs.

Look at Goff. He was nowhere under Fischer. New guy shows up, Super Bowl. Amazing.

QB, imo, is the most poorly evaluated, poorly coached and poorly fit to scheme of all positions. For a position that is so crucial to your offense you would think coaches would be better at identifying who the best players are. I have never seen a position where guys were shoved into a scheme where everyone knows you're being asked to do what they're bad at..... yet still asked to do it.

All those guys you listed have to be pissed as hell that their careers went the way they did. Bad team, bad coaching, bad scheme... and they are run out of the league inside 5 years while coaches go on to other jobs.

Look at Goff. He was nowhere under Fischer. New guy shows up, Super Bowl. Amazing.
To that point, you hear almost nothing pre-draft about which team's scheme makes the most sense for somebody. Even today it's all about height, hand size, 40 time and quickness of release - all of these are important, but are limited at predicting success by themselves outside of traditional schemes.

To that point, you hear almost nothing pre-draft about which team's scheme makes the most sense for somebody. Even today it's all about height, hand size, 40 time and quickness of release - all of these are important, but are limited at predicting success by themselves outside of traditional schemes.

Imagine going to work everyday and you are asked to do what you are bad at. You know you’re bad at it, your boss knows you’re bad at it, the other employees know you’re bad at it too. Also, you know what you’re good at and so does everyone else. But still, you’re told to do what you’re bad at. Then you’re fired and in the meeting you’re told they hoped you would have been better at what you’re bad at. You leave mumbling to yourself.

That’s Tim Tebow and countless other NFL qbs.

Imagine going to work everyday and you are asked to do what you are bad at. You know you’re bad at it, your boss knows you’re bad at it, the other employees know you’re bad at it too. Also, you know what you’re good at and so does everyone else. But still, you’re told to do what you’re bad at. Then you’re fired and in the meeting you’re told they hoped you would have been better at what you’re bad at. You leave mumbling to yourself.

That’s Tim Tebow and countless other NFL qbs.
Sounds like the NFL has lost its innocence.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT