ADVERTISEMENT

Francisco Mauigoa in the portal....ugh

This s the one that breaks It for me. He overtook Travion and was the clear starter. This is pure and simple $. Someone bought him. Pretty terrible

This s the one that breaks It for me. He overtook Travion and was the clear starter. This is pure and simple $. Someone bought him. Pretty terrible
I agree I’m sure Delaura is telling his buddy’s to get paid like he did. The Hawaiian boys were a tight group.

Yeah it seems like we may be stuck. Anyone deemed "too good" to play for WSU will leave for a larger program/money. We will also lose anyone not getting playing time here.

So we are just kind of left with guys just barely good enough for P5 play that have no other options and transfers from other schools where they aren't getting playing time.

Reactions: mikalalas
He's likely headed to Miami to play with his brother, but yes, this one is crippling.

This type of stuff is why I've pretty much quit caring. Saturdays in the fall are much more open the past few years.

If they want to leave, chase some $$, that's their right, but doesn't mean I have to continue to contribute time or effort to it either.
Agree. My new entertainment is betting on the games. I love the Cougs but this semi-pro B.S. is not going to end well for us. I'll spend the $3K I used to give to the program on action....some years I even come out ahead! Let's face it, we were all "fans" because it entertained us. What's entertaining about a new roster every year where our players are paid 1/10th of what our competition pays. It hurts my heart, but it's no longer a level playing field....not even close.

Agree. My new entertainment is betting on the games. I love the Cougs but this semi-pro B.S. is not going to end well for us. I'll spend the $3K I used to give to the program on action....some years I even come out ahead! Let's face it, we were all "fans" because it entertained us. What's entertaining about a new roster every year where our players are paid 1/10th of what our competition pays. It hurts my heart, but it's no longer a level playing field....not even close.
I've gone all in on watching EPL in the mornings and I can have the rest of my day to watch random CFB games or do other things.

Reactions: whoisyaodaddy
Welp that's a wrap, it was fun while it lasted.

Gotta put some blame on Dickert and staff plus the University as a whole for not being able to retain valuable kids.

He's likely headed to Miami to play with his brother, but yes, this one is crippling.
Has anyone bailed on Oregon State. I would think they would be raided as well.

Dickert had a strategy of rotating players through that position to keep fresh and give them plays. Probably to keep them happy.

It is our two linebackers are headed for warmer weather.

You have to wonder when the trickle down starts hitting rostered players. As a coach, once you've identified portal talent that are upgrades, do you cut your existing kids to make room for them?

Gotta put some blame on Dickert and staff plus the University as a whole for not being able to retain valuable kids.
I don’t see this as something Dickert has much control over. Simple fact is that NIL has commoditized every player, and a lot of them are just going to go to the highest bidder. It’s always been rare that a player picks their dream school and stays there. It’s going to be virtually unheard of in the NIL world. Most of these kids are going to feel they need to cash in where they can, and WSU simply doesn’t have the donors and the corporate backing to be able to compete.

This is exactly what some of us feared and believed would happen with NIL, and now it’s becoming real. Players will use WSU for a year or two to audition for other teams, and then use the portal to cash in. Without a purse behind him, not much any coach can do about it.

This also heralds the end of the days when WSU could identify the under the radar kids, coach them up, and compete. We’ll still be able to find those kids, but as soon as they show some promise on the field, a better funded program is going to poach them.

Not sure exactly how this went down but I’m guessing he wanted to stay but in the end he couldn’t turn down the money he was being offered vs what wsu could come up with. If it was a clear no brainer decision to leave he would have been in the portal Monday.

I don’t see this as something Dickert has much control over. Simple fact is that NIL has commoditized every player, and a lot of them are just going to go to the highest bidder. It’s always been rare that a player picks their dream school and stays there. It’s going to be virtually unheard of in the NIL world. Most of these kids are going to feel they need to cash in where they can, and WSU simply doesn’t have the donors and the corporate backing to be able to compete.

This is exactly what some of us feared and believed would happen with NIL, and now it’s becoming real. Players will use WSU for a year or two to audition for other teams, and then use the portal to cash in. Without a purse behind him, not much any coach can do about it.

This also heralds the end of the days when WSU could identify the under the radar kids, coach them up, and compete. We’ll still be able to find those kids, but as soon as they show some promise on the field, a better funded program is going to poach them.
Well said. It's sad, but your post is 100% right on.

Well it wasn’t because of playing time and being a starter. This sucks!! And like what has been said I don’t watch as much as I like but I’m still love the Cougs. NIL is killing the college sport but I’m starting to like my fishing more.

Reactions: NMBRCRNCHR
Not sure exactly how this went down but I’m guessing he wanted to stay but in the end he couldn’t turn down the money he was being offered vs what wsu could come up with. If it was a clear no brainer decision to leave he would have been in the portal Monday.
And that makes me think of that website, (our NIL website, and the guy who's running it).

First. "Cougar Collective". Bad name.
Second. Weak website
Third. Bad approach. Meaning that he posted a horrible solicitation on Die Hard Cougs, and it didn't go well.
Fourth: No financial transparency on how it handles money.

Someone needs to come in with a better site, a better name which motivate both fans and corporate to step up, give and donate. This website does not make you feel compelled to step up.

I just wasn't impressed with this website and the name given. We can do better than this. Now that's just me. We're all different, and that's why they sell Subaru's.

Also, on their website, under "About Cougar Collective". Nothing about Financial Accountability. Who's in charge? Who's running it? Is this a paid side gig? Is this a paid full time gig? Is he 100% volunteer?
What percentage of money goes to the cause, to the athletes? I do know for a fact that 96% of ever $1.00 received goes directly to the cause of The Salvation Army. Only .06 cents goes to overhead.

How do we know this guy will be ethical at handling the money? What if he's another Tim Eyman type of guy?
Why isn't the website transparent on where the money is going, what percentage pays for overhead, and who is this guy accountable to? What about a board?

How does he physically pay the athletes? Zelle, Cash App, Venmo, Company Check? He really figures this out on his own. Accounts Receivable and Accounts Payable. I highly doubt this "organization is technically real".
What's the name of their Accounting Firm?

And the biggest red flag? There is no phone number on their website.

So we have a guy running the most import NIL for Cougar Football, that's not being transparent.

Just seems fishy to me.

"Cougar Collective". Really?

Not the best or catchy name.

Last edited:
Reactions: PeteTheChop

Was Dickert supposed to accomplish what WSU has never been able to do? Meaning raise insane amounts of cash for college football?

Reactions: M-I-Coug
Everyone loses players, Doesn't matter if you are Alabama, Oregon, Michigan, or WSU, it's the new era of College football, difference is those teams are much deeper. I don't like it and I do think it will hurt many programs, and college football overall. However it is the new landscape of college and how you navigate through that will determine your success, there are a lot of good-great players entering the portal, landing them is the key. You also need to maintain a relationship with players from HS, which you recruited and were close on, that elected to go else where, when the hit they portal, you might have an edge. The portal gives and the portal takes away, you just need to end up on the plus side. Unfortunately we will have to accept the fact that we may lose 3-5 key contributors every year, like most programs, how you go about replacing them is a challenge, but it can be done. You have to be able to sell your program and university. Warmer climates are nice, but if you want to succeed in the NFL, you have to learn how to play in the cold. No humidity during those summer workouts in Pullman, May- September weather in Pullman beats Miami, it's November and December that are the problem. IPF will take care of the winter workouts, that why it is important.

Predictable and was, in fact, predicted. Not re Mauigoa himself but the general matter.

Even without NIL, just the existence of unfettered transfers with immediate eligibility in the conference alone was going to lead to this to an extent. I was told that wouldn't happen. Wrong.

Combine it with NIL money and there will be a lot of this. Again, told it wouldn't happen. Guys would only transfer if they couldn't get on the field. Nope.

NIL supposedly was going to just be a way for true stars to get a few hundred or thousand bucks by signing autographs or being in a car dealership ad. That was BS.

Guess what else (also written about right when NIL / unfettered transfers became a thing): schools like WSU will get hit financially by money that otherwise would go to the AD instead going to NIL. Not like a ton of bricks, but it's there.

More significant would be the impact on donations, ticket sales, etc. from the gut punch of losing players and previously interested fans losing interest and being less willing to buy tickets and donate, both due to the loss of talent and due to the impacts we'll see on the field.

• Sad
Reactions: PeteTheChop
And that makes me think of that website, (our NIL website, and the guy who's running it).

First. Bad name.
Second. Weak website
Third. Bad approach. Meaning that he posted a horrible solicitation on Die Hard Cougs, and it didn't go well.

Someone needs to come in with a better site, a better name which motivate both fans and corporate to step up, give and donate. This website does not make you feel compelled to step up.

I just wasn't impressed with this website and the name given. We can do better than this. Now that's just me. We're all different, and that's why they sell Subaru's.

Believe it or not, that site is three times as good as it was the last time I checked it out a month or so ago. It was then just a landing page with a signup form, replete with grammatical and spelling errors. It still sucks.

Second. Weak website

I didn’t even know there was a website.

But you’re right. Stupid name. Bad website, bad design, poor information. And if you go to it as a potential donor, first thing you see is that there’s not a single significant entity attached to it. A couple of local businesses, none with any real name or flash, and certainly no anchor.

Second. Weak website

I will defend the right of every player to earn money for their talent. That is the most American thing we can do.

But at the same time, I am not here to pay random kids to play college football, especially without a contract. It is nothing more than a shakedown racket.

I will continue to give to the AD for scholarships and facilities, and buy tickets for games. That has more lasting impact on the school, IMO.

Ultimately this is on Dickert and his staff. You have to retain your best players. Chun and Dickert should tell the biggest boosters to donate to The Cougar Collective instead of the school. Then change the name to The Wazzu Booster Club. Does NIL make things harder for Wazzu. Yes!! But our AD and coaching staff had an entire year to prepare for this. We knew it was coming. They knew it was coming.

Contrast WSU's site with this from UW (which also isn't that great, but it's a lot better): https://static.gohuskies.com/custompages/nil/NIL.html

Well, sure, that's UW, right? Can't necessarily outdo those guys. What about, say, Boise State (first place I looked elsewhere)?

Uh ....

Ultimately this is on Dickert and his staff. You have to retain your best players. Chun and Dickert should tell the biggest boosters to donate to The Cougar Collective instead of the school. Then change the name to The Wazzu Booster Club. Does NIL make things harder for Wazzu. Yes!! But our AD and coaching staff had an entire year to prepare for this. We knew it was coming. They knew it was coming.
Every dollar you siphon off from the CAF and redirect to the NIL fund only grows our operating deficit. Chun is in a bind here, but he would be neglecting his job as AD if he actively promoted to boosters they should give to NIL instead.

What WSU needs to cultivate are more sponsorship opportunities for the players. They can do commercials, autograph and photo sessions, etc. I have to look at Drew Timme's ugly ass mug on TV every commercial break nowadays because he has a deal with Northern Quest. Get our football players in on stuff like that.

That's great in theory the problem is they would still have to outspend schools like Miami. We say here is x amount. Miami says we will beat whatever they offer you by 10k. Even if every dime donated went to NIL we are still likely outspent.

Alright, portal blows, it's official.
Yea, I'm trying hard to be open minded, because I know it's better for the players, but this sucks.

Football has become basketball where there's just no continuity year to year and guys never stick around for more than a year or two.

Has really decimated my interest in the game. I don't even want to watch the bowl game. At this rate, will just be our JV squad out there.

Yea, I'm trying hard to be open minded, because I know it's better for the players, but this sucks.

Football has become basketball where there's just no continuity year to year and guys never stick around for more than a year or two.

Has really decimated my interest in the game. I don't even want to watch the bowl game. At this rate, will just be our JV squad out there.
Not to mention the gents that will "sit out" to protect their assets and the coaches that may or may not be there. NFL lite is what this is and the NFL sucks.

Not to mention the gents that will "sit out" to protect their assets and the coaches that may or may not be there. NFL lite is what this is and the NFL sucks.
I would be more ok with it if they at least had a cap/contracts/rules put in place like the NFL to have some semblance of balance. But there are no rules when it comes to this stuff. Makes it hard to enjoy. I was considering going to the LA Bowl but at this point only like half the team I watched all year will be playing.

Reactions: justinbgocougs
This type of stuff is why I've pretty much quit caring. Saturdays in the fall are much more open the past few years.

If they want to leave, chase some $$, that's their right, but doesn't mean I have to continue to contribute time or effort to it either.
I sadly feel the same way. It's crazy to think back at how interested I used to be. I think I had almost 20K posts on Brand X, followed recruiting religiously, all of that. Now, the Cougs occupy about 3.5 hours of my Saturday, and that's pretty much it. Even that, I only sit and watch if I'm not doing anything else, otherwise, I listed on the radio while I'm doing other stuff. It's sad.

It's worse than the NFL. At least in the NFL guys are on rookie contracts for a few years and teams are on equal ground and can resign who they need. This is college basketball. One and dones and 5 transfers every year. I don't even know who is on the Coug basketball team anymore.

Reactions: justinbgocougs
I would be more ok with it if they at least had a cap/contracts/rules put in place like the NFL to have some semblance of balance. But there are no rules when it comes to this stuff. Makes it hard to enjoy. I was considering going to the LA Bowl but at this point only like half the team I watched all year will be playing.
It's going to be like last years Whatever Bowl we were in. I don't even know if I'm going to bother watching.

If he ends up at Miami, my guess is this was part of Big Joe’s negotiation to the family to land his lil brother the #1 Ranked HS Tackle.

Come here to Miami & we’ll go get your brother at WSU.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT