ADVERTISEMENT

Francisco Mauigoa in the portal....ugh

WTF is going on with our Defense?

The same thing that happened to Kyle Smith where he had to replace almost the whole team leaving WSU via the Portal.

This is just the beginning and only a small taste of what lies in store for WSU because of NIL + PORTAL.

I guarantee that Fred had someone in his ear, telling him that he can get big time NIL money if he enters the transfer portal and transfers.

The WSU's NIL groups failure to give NIL deals to Fred, like they did to Cam Ward, is why Fred is gone.

It's going to take 1,2,3,4 years for that group to get up to speed.

It's worse than the NFL. At least in the NFL guys are on rookie contracts for a few years and teams are on equal ground and can resign who they need. This is college basketball. One and dones and 5 transfers every year. I don't even know who is on the Coug basketball team anymore.
And in the NFL, players can’t decide to take a game off to save themselves for their next team when they announce their free agency status

The same thing that happened to Kyle Smith where he had to replace almost the whole team leaving WSU via the Portal.
When was that?

From last year's team, there were 4 guys who went into the portal (Noah, Rapp, Roberts, Koulibaly). Tough to lose a couple of those guys but it was hardly almost the whole team. From the year before, 3 guys moved on via the portal: Kunc, Markovetskyy, and walkon Chatfield.

I'm not concerned with the quantity of guys who leave via the portal, but losing too many quality players, as they seem to be doing in football, is concerning.

Glad Cougar

I sadly feel the same way. It's crazy to think back at how interested I used to be. I think I had almost 20K posts on Brand X, followed recruiting religiously, all of that. Now, the Cougs occupy about 3.5 hours of my Saturday, and that's pretty much it. Even that, I only sit and watch if I'm not doing anything else, otherwise, I listed on the radio while I'm doing other stuff. It's sad.
Missed your posts Fab.

Glad you're back

I sadly feel the same way. It's crazy to think back at how interested I used to be. I think I had almost 20K posts on Brand X, followed recruiting religiously, all of that. Now, the Cougs occupy about 3.5 hours of my Saturday, and that's pretty much it. Even that, I only sit and watch if I'm not doing anything else, otherwise, I listed on the radio while I'm doing other stuff. It's sad.
I here ya, Fab. If it wasn't for my daughter currently attending WSU, I really think cfb would rate not much more than a casual interest from me.

• Sad
Reactions: PeteTheChop
I here ya, Fab. If it wasn't for my daughter currently attending WSU, I really think cfb would rate not much more than a casual interest from me.

Man, I get the sentiment 79 ... but it's really tough to read this from diehard fans.

And it's happening all over the country it seems like.

How can this be fixed or is the genie out of the bottle for good?

And that makes me think of that website, (our NIL website, and the guy who's running it).

First. "Cougar Collective". Bad name.
Second. Weak website
Third. Bad approach. Meaning that he posted a horrible solicitation on Die Hard Cougs, and it didn't go well.
Fourth: No financial transparency on how it handles money.

Someone needs to come in with a better site, a better name which motivate both fans and corporate to step up, give and donate. This website does not make you feel compelled to step up.

I just wasn't impressed with this website and the name given. We can do better than this. Now that's just me. We're all different, and that's why they sell Subaru's.

Also, on their website, under "About Cougar Collective". Nothing about Financial Accountability. Who's in charge? Who's running it? Is this a paid side gig? Is this a paid full time gig? Is he 100% volunteer?
What percentage of money goes to the cause, to the athletes? I do know for a fact that 96% of ever $1.00 received goes directly to the cause of The Salvation Army. Only .06 cents goes to overhead.

How do we know this guy will be ethical at handling the money? What if he's another Tim Eyman type of guy?
Why isn't the website transparent on where the money is going, what percentage pays for overhead, and who is this guy accountable to? What about a board?

How does he physically pay the athletes? Zelle, Cash App, Venmo, Company Check? He really figures this out on his own. Accounts Receivable and Accounts Payable. I highly doubt this "organization is technically real".
What's the name of their Accounting Firm?

And the biggest red flag? There is no phone number on their website.

So we have a guy running the most import NIL for Cougar Football, that's not being transparent.

Just seems fishy to me.

"Cougar Collective". Really?

Not the best or catchy name.

This is a tough post, M.I. ... but ultimately it's more than fair. Transparency and accountability are necesseties in this sort of endeavor.

It's not just Cougar Nation, either. You're seeing the same sort of questions and comments on College Football message boards from schools across the country

(Also; don't keep up with WA politics/news much at all and wasn't familiar with Tim Eyman. Yikes. Sounds like he's fallen on hard times)

Reactions: M-I-Coug
Chun and Dickert should tell the biggest boosters to donate to The Cougar Collective instead of the school. Then change the name to The Wazzu Booster Club.

But what about the IPF, stadium expansion or enhancements, facility upgrades, etcetera? Somebody needs to help pay for those.

Schultz and Chum need dollars for those capital projects as well as buyouts for failed coaches, beefing up administrative staff and marketing team, etc.

Man, I get the sentiment 79 ... but it's really tough to read this from diehard fans.

And it's happening all over the country it seems like.

How can this be fixed or is the genie out of the bottle for good?
They'll have to do a reset on the system. But that's not going to happen.

Ultimately this is on Dickert and his staff. You have to retain your best players. Chun and Dickert should tell the biggest boosters to donate to The Cougar Collective instead of the school. Then change the name to The Wazzu Booster Club. Does NIL make things harder for Wazzu. Yes!! But our AD and coaching staff had an entire year to prepare for this. We knew it was coming. They knew it was coming.

Truly a dumb comment. It's obvious that you aren't paying attention because that's already been done and they are encouraging folks to donate to the NIL group.

This was posted by Dickert in November. He also regularly retweets posts from the NIL collective. It is not Jake Dickert's fault that WSU has the least invested fans in the Pac-12. It is not all Pat Chun's fault either. Coug fans have always talked a big game but go silent when it comes to actually parting with cash to support the team.

Every week over on Facebook, some cheap ass "Die Hard Coug" is asking how they can watch the Cougs for free. I've lost faith in the value of a WSU degree, because apparently WSU grads can't afford to spend $50 per month to watch the Cougs on the Pac-12 network and other channels we are on.

I don't donate very much to WSU but it's still enough to get me ahead of 30,000 people in the CAF rankings. The good news is that at least I've dropped out of the top group. It's ridiculous that a guy who lives 1200 miles from Pullman is more invested than most of the over 100,000 Cougar alums that live in the state of Washington.

The current situation sucks, but it is ignorant to suggest that it is our coach's and AD's job to motivate fans to donate money to something that is specifically NOT supposed to be ran by the university. What needs to happen, but probably won't, is that the 80 some schools that can't compete with the top schools need to work together to push an agreement that levels the playing field in some fashion. The hope is that the pendulum will swing back and the adults in the room will regain some control and put in some guardrails that limit the mayhem, but I don't know if it will happen in time to prevent disaster for a lot of schools.

I don’t see this as something Dickert has much control over. Simple fact is that NIL has commoditized every player, and a lot of them are just going to go to the highest bidder. It’s always been rare that a player picks their dream school and stays there. It’s going to be virtually unheard of in the NIL world. Most of these kids are going to feel they need to cash in where they can, and WSU simply doesn’t have the donors and the corporate backing to be able to compete.

This is exactly what some of us feared and believed would happen with NIL, and now it’s becoming real. Players will use WSU for a year or two to audition for other teams, and then use the portal to cash in. Without a purse behind him, not much any coach can do about it.

This also heralds the end of the days when WSU could identify the under the radar kids, coach them up, and compete. We’ll still be able to find those kids, but as soon as they show some promise on the field, a better funded program is going to poach them.

It's a boon to the rich programs to minimize risk for their recruiting. Like I've said, the world is driven by money. The wealthy programs love the NIL.

Truly a dumb comment. It's obvious that you aren't paying attention because that's already been done and they are encouraging folks to donate to the NIL group.

This was posted by Dickert in November. He also regularly retweets posts from the NIL collective. It is not Jake Dickert's fault that WSU has the least invested fans in the Pac-12. It is not all Pat Chun's fault either. Coug fans have always talked a big game but go silent when it comes to actually parting with cash to support the team.

Every week over on Facebook, some cheap ass "Die Hard Coug" is asking how they can watch the Cougs for free. I've lost faith in the value of a WSU degree, because apparently WSU grads can't afford to spend $50 per month to watch the Cougs on the Pac-12 network and other channels we are on.

I don't donate very much to WSU but it's still enough to get me ahead of 30,000 people in the CAF rankings. The good news is that at least I've dropped out of the top group. It's ridiculous that a guy who lives 1200 miles from Pullman is more invested than most of the over 100,000 Cougar alums that live in the state of Washington.

The current situation sucks, but it is ignorant to suggest that it is our coach's and AD's job to motivate fans to donate money to something that is specifically NOT supposed to be ran by the university. What needs to happen, but probably won't, is that the 80 some schools that can't compete with the top schools need to work together to push an agreement that levels the playing field in some fashion. The hope is that the pendulum will swing back and the adults in the room will regain some control and put in some guardrails that limit the mayhem, but I don't know if it will happen in time to prevent disaster for a lot of schools.

Agree with almost everything you said, except, but that it is President Schultz's, AD Chun's, Dickert's, etc, jobs to TRY TO HELP MOTIVATE FANS TO DONATE TO THE NIL GROUP.

A lot to almost all of the motivation has to come from the fans. You are right about that.

But that said, if the college leaders did not have a responsibility to at least try to help motivate fans to donate, then they could just sit back and do nothing, and wait for donations.

Now I am not saying College leaders are not trying.

Chun and the rest of the WSU leaders are doing a ok job. It's not their fault that WSU fans have been tight and that bad economy.

The only thing that might be questionable on their part and the part of those whose job is to help market WSU, is maybe the methodology of the WSU advertising, marketing, promotions, etc.

Even tho WSU fans have been tight, and the economy been bad, WSU leaders still have to as their job, to try to help encourage, motivate, excite, etc, the fan base into donating to both the CAF and the NIL group.

And they have been doing a ok job of doing that.

Like you said, WSU fans are, have been tight, and the economy is bad.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT