ADVERTISEMENT

FSU vs. ACC ruling today is interesting...

ttowncoug

Hall Of Fame
Sep 9, 2001
"ACC rep notes that FSU can leave ACC for $130-$140 million dollars whenever it wants but won't retain media rights."

"Sovereign immunity is the phrase that's been thrown around. That is the fact that the government cannot be sued without its consent. Rush said waiving sovereign immunity in one state, but not another in a case like this is "chaos.""

To add on to this, if Sovereign immunity is used by FSU to get out the media deal, then I could see a different shape to future media rights deals: contracting with schools directly (like it used to be).

Which then changes the competitive equation. Does it make more sense for schools like USC to be on the west coast, win, take 100% of their media pie, (maybe some revenue sharing deal) vs. being in the Big-10?

To add on to this, if Sovereign immunity is used by FSU to get out the media deal, then I could see a different shape to future media rights deals: contracting with schools directly (like it used to be).

Which then changes the competitive equation. Does it make more sense for schools like USC to be on the west coast, win, take 100% of their media pie, (maybe some revenue sharing deal) vs. being in the Big-10?
“Sovereign immunity”. The ghost of Mike Leach working on an ironic twist that could help out his Cougs?!

If ESPN wants this to happen, I think it will happen.

If the ACC media deal is made whole through 2036 by allowing Clemson and FSU to the SEC, I personally don't know what "DAMAGES" the remaining ACC schools have (their has to be a money value put on this).

Similarly, ESPN uses remaining ACC to build out a western conference (old Pac-12) and try and grab schools from the Big-10/Fox next media deal.

If ESPN wants this to happen, I think it will happen.

If the ACC media deal is made whole through 2036 by allowing Clemson and FSU to the SEC, I personally don't know what "DAMAGES" the remaining ACC schools have (their has to be a money value put on this).

Similarly, ESPN uses remaining ACC to build out a western conference (old Pac-12) and try and grab schools from the Big-10/Fox next media deal.
Explain? Use remaining ACC to build out a western conference? But the ACC schools are all in the east except CalFurd. Even SMU is not in the West.

I do think the grant of rights retention is kind of ridiculous. Even the Pac-2 gets those from the otherwise highway robbery deal with the MW. Don't know how the WC HS gym league agreement works out for BB.

Explain? Use remaining ACC to build out a western conference? But the ACC schools are all in the east except CalFurd. Even SMU is not in the West.

I do think the grant of rights retention is kind of ridiculous. Even the Pac-2 gets those from the otherwise highway robbery deal with the MW. Don't know how the WC HS gym league agreement works out for BB.
It's been speculated Stanford and Cal might be the building blocks to a national ACC conference with a western division. I assume there has to be a master plan in the works. CalFurd aren't going to be happy to travel to the east coast until 2036. WSU and OSU are way too quiet about rebuilding the Pac-12.

When FSU bolts, i think the dominoes drop....again, this is all speculation, but this move would work about pretty well.

It's been speculated Stanford and Cal might be the building blocks to a national ACC conference with a western division. I assume there has to be a master plan in the works. CalFurd aren't going to be happy to travel to the east coast until 2036. WSU and OSU are way too quiet about rebuilding the Pac-12.

When FSU bolts, i think the dominoes drop....again, this is all speculation, but this move would work about pretty well.
I think you are mostly correct, except it will take more time than dominos, once they start to fall. My main question has to do with whether ESPN's private conference will kick out any existing B10/SEC schools and put them in the "secondary" conference.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT