ADVERTISEMENT

Future of our ladies' soccer team

kayak15

Hall Of Fame
Apr 17, 2012
Mercer Island
Just finished listening to a bit of the postgame interviews. The UNC coach gave our girls a nice compliment, saying that we had outplayed them and that he was impressed. Checking the stats, he may have been right and not just being polite. We outshot them 10-8 and outcornered- if that's a word- them 7-2. Then listened to Shulenberger stating that this year set the standard for the next. This got me to thinking. What about next year? Thought that I would post my thoughts and maybe some of you other soccer following posters might add to them.

Yes, it's a bit early but anyway.....

Forwards/offensive mids: We lose Weaver and Collins, creating a major hole in the offense. Bennett, Frimpong-Ellertson, Makamae and little Molly Myers will be back as will Grayson Lynch, who continues to develop. On paper, a step backwards at this time but with a number of possibilities in the wings.

Midfielders: No majors loss other than Collins who I placed in the offensive category.

Defenders: Not a problem. Minniss and Mclyn should return as well as Goff, Pulver, Alger and Rieken. Shulenberger obviously likes Rieken as she has been given increasing playing time as the season progressed. Kaitlin Kowalchuk was one of the supposed gems of last year's recruiting class but played little. Only one game if my memory is correct, Still on the roster. Injured? Haven't heard why.

Goalkeeper: Oh, dear. We lose Dederick as well as her seldom used but capable backup, Rachel Johnson. Left are two unused youngsters, a frosh and a sophomore. Since they have not played as far as I remember, they are an enigma to me, having never watched a practice. One of them or both will be thrown into the fire and need to step up.

Shulenberger and staff have done a good job of recruiting and will need to do another one of replenishing the ranks.

Mr. Chun, give this staff a decent reward and keep them on our campus. We have had other successful soccer coaches poached and this year's performance will surely draw attention from other schools in need of upgrading their soccer program.

That's it from me. Replace Weaver and Collins and find a goalkeeper and we should have another great season.

Any comments or ideas?

Last edited:
Agree with both sentences.
Shulenberger has been extended each of the last 2 years, and made $200k in 2018. Not sure exactly what he’s getting now.

It’s a non-revenue sport, but it’s peanuts. Budget another $200k to divide between salaries for him, his assistants, and whatever other demands he has.

Shulenberger has been extended each of the last 2 years, and made $200k in 2018. Not sure exactly what he’s getting now.

It’s a non-revenue sport, but it’s peanuts. Budget another $200k to divide between salaries for him, his assistants, and whatever other demands he has.

Soccer has been our most consistent and successful program for years, they deserve what they need.

Great culture on the Palouse. Kids are headed there to be great teammates and have big goals.

The IPF will be a nice addition

Soccer has been our most consistent and successful program for years, they deserve what they need.
WSU has spent money in upgrading the soccer facility, and I’m not certain they’re done yet as I thought on-site locker rooms were part of the plan.

Just finished listening to a bit of the postgame interviews. The UNC coach gave our girls a nice compliment, saying that we had outplayed them and that he was impressed. Checking the stats, he may have been right and not just being polite. We outshot them 10-8 and outcornered- if that's a word- them 7-2. Then listened to Shulenberger stating that this year set the standard for the next. This got me to thinking. What about next year? Thought that I would post my thoughts and maybe some of you other soccer following posters might add to them.

Yes, it's a bit early but anyway.....

Forwards/offensive mids: We lose Weaver and Collins, creating a major hole in the offense. Bennett, Frimpong-Ellertson, Makamae and little Molly Myers will be back as will Grayson Lynch, who continues to develop. On paper, a step backwards at this time but with a number of possibilities in the wings.

Midfielders: No majors loss other than Collins who I placed in the offensive category.

Defenders: Not a problem. Minniss and Mclyn should return as well as Goff, Pulver, Alger and Rieken. Shulenberger obviously likes Rieken as she has been given increasing playing time as the season progressed. Kaitlin Kowalchuk was one of the supposed gems of last year's recruiting class but played little. Only one game if my memory is correct, Still on the roster. Injured? Haven't heard why.

Goalkeeper: Oh, dear. We lose Dederick as well as her seldom used but capable backup, Rachel Johnson. Left are two unused youngsters, a frosh and a sophomore. Since they have not played as far as I remember, they are an enigma to me, having never watched a practice. One of them or both will be thrown into the fire and need to step up.

Shulenberger and staff have done a good job of recruiting and will need to do another one of replenishing the ranks.

Mr. Chun, give this staff a decent reward and keep them on our campus. We have had other successful soccer coaches poached and this year's performance will surely draw attention from other schools in need of upgrading their soccer program.

That's it from me. Replace Weaver and Collins and find a goalkeeper and we should have another great season.

Any comments or ideas?
Winning mindset is built and a foundation of the program. Losing 50% of your goals between Weaver, Collins, and Whieldon will require the youngsters to step up. GK is an unknown, but suffice it to say that both sides of the ball have some big cleats to fill. Go Cougs!!!

Here is my take. If I sound harsh, remember it is about winning, and for that you must be frank. For Bennett and MFE, they need to improve their fitness and ball skills in the off season, right now they are too one footed, and have only one move, the stop and go. We need fitness, speed and solid ball skills from them. If they want it, it is a off season of cardio and hours dibbling the ball.

We need a Beckham type player in the midfield, some who can deliver the ball to the feet of our forwards with regularity. MGS could be that player, she has the ball skills, but she does not distribute well, particularly at distance. She needs to work on dibbling with her head up, and long distance passing accuracy in the off season. If not her, someone need to step up and decide that she will put in the work needed to be "the cog" in our midfield

Leg strength - team wide. One big difference between us and UNC was ball pace. The announcer noted several times that we just weren't delivering the ball into the box with pace. Whipping that ball in there is critical to take full advantage of our height. The way you develop that is striking the ball hard. preferably with accuracy, rover and over again.

Myers needs to be serious about fitness, she will be a career sub if she fades after 10 minutes. She needs to be "the energizer bunny" for 75 minutes to make up for lack of height.

On defense, we need to work on our strength, and stop playing naive. The UNC defense wasn't more talented or athletic than us, but they knew the tricks of the trade, i.e. positioning, impeding, harassing and interfering with their upper body. Yes, it is all technically "illegal," but it is the stuff that is never called. UNC did it all game to slow Weaver and Bennett down, we played, on the other hand, like elbows were bad manners. It is all about watching hours of video studying the greats, and how they neutralize, and then putting it into practice.

In goal, Dederick played not because she was the seconding coming of Gordon Banks, but because she was steady. So I don't see her as being that difficult to replace. Finding a Banks or Lev Yeshin type goalkeeper is the hard part, they are easy to spot and are worth there weight in gold.

Here is my take. If I sound harsh, remember it is about winning, and for that you must be frank. For Bennett and MFE, they need to improve their fitness and ball skills in the off season, right now they are too one footed, and have only one move, the stop and go. We need fitness, speed and solid ball skills from them. If they want it, it is a off season of cardio and hours dibbling the ball.

We need a Beckham type player in the midfield, some who can deliver the ball to the feet of our forwards with regularity. MGS could be that player, she has the ball skills, but she does not distribute well, particularly at distance. She needs to work on dibbling with her head up, and long distance passing accuracy in the off season. If not her, someone need to step up and decide that she will put in the work needed to be "the cog" in our midfield

Leg strength - team wide. One big difference between us and UNC was ball pace. The announcer noted several times that we just weren't delivering the ball into the box with pace. Whipping that ball in there is critical to take full advantage of our height. The way you develop that is striking the ball hard. preferably with accuracy, rover and over again.

Myers needs to be serious about fitness, she will be a career sub if she fades after 10 minutes. She needs to be "the energizer bunny" for 75 minutes to make up for lack of height.

On defense, we need to work on our strength, and stop playing naive. The UNC defense wasn't more talented or athletic than us, but they knew the tricks of the trade, i.e. positioning, impeding, harassing and interfering with their upper body. Yes, it is all technically "illegal," but it is the stuff that is never called. UNC did it all game to slow Weaver and Bennett down, we played, on the other hand, like elbows were bad manners. It is all about watching hours of video studying the greats, and how they neutralize, and then putting it into practice.

In goal, Dederick played not because she was the seconding coming of Gordon Banks, but because she was steady. So I don't see her as being that difficult to replace. Finding a Banks or Lev Yeshin type goalkeeper is the hard part, they are easy to spot and are worth there weight in gold.

A blunt but fair appraisal. Thank you.

One thing that really stuck out to me when I watched them play in person earlier this season is their size across the roster. I went to the game at Gonzaga and the Zags looked like a high school varsity team compared to the Cougs when doing the eye test.

What was really evident to me on Friday, aside from UNC's incredible depth, is just how much faster they were than WSU. Cougsocal was dead on about our inability to put pace on the balls into the box, but we also need to be faster to the ball in the run of play.

All that said, what an incredibly fun team to watch, especially if you are a soccer fan. Can't wait to see them unfurl a College Cup banner next year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT