ADVERTISEMENT

Game cancelled

What's the age demographic of those in the hospitals right now? It makes a difference when you're talking about how you handle an entire population and how you deal with a pandemic.

First, don't get me wrong, I didn't want to see the game cancelled today. As much as possible, we need to keep our world as close to normal as we can. However, if we have 30+ players that have been exposed that might have the virus, you just have to accept that the right thing to do is not play the game. The players are young but they interact with older adults. Those adults interact with other adults. It's far too easy for the virus to get out of hand where it's harming at-risk populations

My biggest frustration with the situation is that it's dumb that the Pac-12 waited until Nov. 7th to start. That pisses me off. There's no reason beyond cowardice that kept us from starting the first week of October. Larry Scott sucks.

Been reading posters' comments on the pandemic for some time. Often with a raised eyebrow. Mortality rate is 1% or less. O.K., but for you maybe or even the general population. If you are young and healthy you are in little danger of dying of the virus. But for me and others like me, that is not the situation. I am 76 years old and, like most geezers, have a few comorbidities. Prognoses for such as myself contracting Covid and having to enter an ICU or being ventilated are not so rosy. I'll be hiding under the bed until the vaccines are available.

Socal mentioned the impact on midwestern states. Current positivity rates in the Dakotas and Iowa are 50% or higher. I do not know how these tests are designed, antigen or antibody presence, but it looks like half the population of these three states either have the virus or have recovered from the virus. Not good. Anybody up for a fun maskless motorcycle rally?

Others have commented on the advice and impact of political leadership. Cuomo comes to mind with his instruction to place diseased elderly in nursing homes with the inevitable outcome. This doesn't make any medical sense or even common sense. I am with 90's observation in that I also have little idea what they could do either. I would suggest that we take political leadership's advice with a grain of salt. If you were building a new house, would you hire a politician to install the electrical wiring. No? Then why pay such attention to their opinions on medical issues? Many, if not most, derive their opinions from other politicians, not scientific authorities.

A one percent chance of death sounds good but would you play Russian roulette with a gun with 100 chambers? If so, why? Stay safe, guys, and let me know when it is safe to venture out from under the bed.

Reactions: SDCoug
First, don't get me wrong, I didn't want to see the game cancelled today. As much as possible, we need to keep our world as close to normal as we can. However, if we have 30+ players that have been exposed that might have the virus, you just have to accept that the right thing to do is not play the game. The players are young but they interact with older adults. Those adults interact with other adults. It's far too easy for the virus to get out of hand where it's harming at-risk populations

My biggest frustration with the situation is that it's dumb that the Pac-12 waited until Nov. 7th to start. That pisses me off. There's no reason beyond cowardice that kept us from starting the first week of October. Larry Scott sucks.
Bud, im living with this cowardace every day in the PNW.

Brown just encouraged neighbor snitching; remind you of anything?

I guess I don't see your point. We are living through the deadliest flu pandemic in a century and you think that the actions of a terrible president over 100 years ago is meaningful? My co-worker's dad is in the ICU and might die this week. My wife is a nurse and she said that she's hearing through the grapevine that here locally, 10% of the people who go to the hospital for COVID are dying right now.

But hey, if you want to pretend like this is no big deal because you are worried about not getting to watch a football game....knock yourself out.
Brainwashed

turn off cnn while you still have a few brain cells

It sounds like you are trying to justify the insanely stupid lockdown policies which have destroyed more lives than the convids

Gavin Newsom eating in a plush restaurant no mask, no social distancing while He outlaws thanksgiving

pure trash

Been reading posters' comments on the pandemic for some time. Often with a raised eyebrow. Mortality rate is 1% or less. O.K., but for you maybe or even the general population. If you are young and healthy you are in little danger of dying of the virus. But for me and others like me, that is not the situation. I am 76 years old and, like most geezers, have a few comorbidities. Prognoses for such as myself contracting Covid and having to enter an ICU or being ventilated are not so rosy. I'll be hiding under the bed until the vaccines are available.

Socal mentioned the impact on midwestern states. Current positivity rates in the Dakotas and Iowa are 50% or higher. I do not know how these tests are designed, antigen or antibody presence, but it looks like half the population of these three states either have the virus or have recovered from the virus. Not good. Anybody up for a fun maskless motorcycle rally?

Others have commented on the advice and impact of political leadership. Cuomo comes to mind with his instruction to place diseased elderly in nursing homes with the inevitable outcome. This doesn't make any medical sense or even common sense. I am with 90's observation in that I also have little idea what they could do either. I would suggest that we take political leadership's advice with a grain of salt. If you were building a new house, would you hire a politician to install the electrical wiring. No? Then why pay such attention to their opinions on medical issues? Many, if not most, derive their opinions from other politicians, not scientific authorities.

A one percent chance of death sounds good but would you play Russian roulette with a gun with 100 chambers? If so, why? Stay safe, guys, and let me know when it is safe to venture out from under the bed.
Kayak, stay safe and I hope you dont encounter the 'Rona. And of course I wouldn't sign up for your roulette ananolgy... but it is a bit off as you still have to catch it before the less than one percent chance of dying kicks in. Odds of someone less than 70 catching it and dying is VERY slim, like lighting strike slim. Now compare that to the draconian lockdowns and their effects on our school age kids and those susceptible to mental health issues and you have a recipe for long term disaster...by our fearless leaders own doing.

Reactions: Observer11
The pandemic is a tragedy on so many levels, and the opinions on how we should handle it are often divergent, but each have their own merits

My parents are 76, and probably should be sheltering, but my Dad has a good point. How many more summers does he have left to play golf, go to the beach, etc.? When you’ve got a max of 5-10 good years left, throwing one of them away to shelter is a tough pill to swallow.

Then there’s the cold, but valid point that the average age of COVID death is over 80. Tragic as that is, those people lived full lives. How many millions of children have been permanently impacted emotionally, socially, and academically by sheltering? How many small business owners will suffer irreplaceable loss? In an election cycle where the word privilege was used routinely, how much has the privilege gap widened between the classes. How much has this enabled major corporations to solidify their market stranglehold?

The full impact of the pandemic won’t be known for a decade or more.

What's the age demographic of those in the hospitals right now? It makes a difference when you're talking about how you handle an entire population and how you deal with a pandemic.
Still awaiting an accurate reply to your question about the patients average age.
You should know better than to ask questions that don't fit the narrative...

The pandemic is a tragedy on so many levels, and the opinions on how we should handle it are often divergent, but each have their own merits

My parents are 76, and probably should be sheltering, but my Dad has a good point. How many more summers does he have left to play golf, go to the beach, etc.? When you’ve got a max of 5-10 good years left, throwing one of them away to shelter is a tough pill to swallow.

Then there’s the cold, but valid point that the average age of COVID death is over 80. Tragic as that is, those people lived full lives. How many millions of children have been permanently impacted emotionally, socially, and academically by sheltering? How many small business owners will suffer irreplaceable loss? In an election cycle where the word privilege was used routinely, how much has the privilege gap widened between the classes. How much has this enabled major corporations to solidify their market stranglehold?

Don't forget that those that make the policies are somehow exempt from following their own rules, and will suffer absolutely zero effects from their draconian lockdowns.

Reactions: royhobbs2

According to a new study school age children are losing 4-5 percent of their lifetime earnings from the lockdowns.

Last edited:

It won’t take that long.

18 months tops.

ADVERTISEMENT