ADVERTISEMENT

Gesa Field.

We've waited how many years for this?!?

WTF did Bill Moos turn down over the years? Or couldn't he close a $10 Million deal? This seems really light.

Color me relatively unimpressed. Prove me wrong with comparables.

UW - Alaska Airlines $41MM/ 10 years

Hows that?

Alaska wildly overpaid for that.

Our new deal is relatively in line with other mid tier power 5 schools.

1 mil a year does seem light. I think the deal should have been 25 million, 2.5 mil per year 10 year deal.

At extreme minimum should have been a 15 to 17 to 20 million 10 year 1.5 to 1.7 to 2 mil per year deal.

But hey like has been said, its better then nothing.

And dont see why this couldnt have been done during the Leach big success years to LEVERAGE Leach's success into a bigger then 10 mil 10 year deal.

From WSU email... The 10-year agreement is valued at a minimum $11 million, that will escalate as additional Gesa consumer-based incentives are reached.

I guess my point is - WSU waited around for how many years of the Moos and then Chun era to get a pretty normal $1 million per year deal? From a semi-local credit union?

Almost seems Larry Scott-ish relative to haggling with DirectTV for, what, a decade?

I guess my point is - WSU waited around for how many years of the Moos and then Chun era to get a pretty normal $1 million per year deal?

Almost seems Larry Scott-ish relative to haggling with DirectTV for, what, a decade?

Well yeah, Moos didn't really understand what he was doing.

Wasn't the Spokane Teacher Credit Union supposedly folks favorite here, when this was discussed awhile back?

Well the teachers are all taking out loans for spring break trips before they apply for disability when in class instruction resumes.

Sounds right. The credit unions have money to spend. The credit unions have grown and evolved since the recession. They have commercial loan departments making loans for 10+ million dollars. Not just credit cards and used car loans anymore.

STCU and GESA were in the top 5 largest credit unions in Washington last time I checked. BECU was/is a the biggest dog.

Edit- It's been a while since I was at Martin, so my memory faded a bit. BECU was (and presumably will no longer be) a pretty major sponsor, and I think did the credit card with the logo thing, etc. Presumably, BECU passed on an expanded sponsorship. I think I was picking BECU as the favorite.

Last edited:
I support it for at least 3 reasons.

First, this is just the field rights. The stadium can still be named by others, for more money.

Second, "better late than never". It was generating no revenue from a naming standpoint, now it is generating some revenue.

Third, it gives the impression that something is happening, which from a fundraising momentum perspective is a good thing. What is next? The FOB? The stadium? The west end zone goal posts? There are a lot of things that can be named for the right price.

Sounds right. The credit unions have money to spend. The credit unions have grown and evolved since the recession. They have commercial loan departments making loans for 10+ million dollars. Not just credit cards and used car loans anymore.

STCU and GESA were in the top 5 largest credit unions in Washington last time I checked. BECU was/is a the biggest dog.

Edit- It's been a while since I was at Martin, so my memory faded a bit. BECU was (and presumably will no longer be) a pretty major sponsor, and I think did the credit card with the logo thing, etc. Presumably, BECU passed on an expanded sponsorship. I think I was picking BECU as the favorite.

Numerica would have been better.

First Cannabis-friendly financial institution in the country.

Land grant/ag school roots.

Numerica would have been better.

First Cannabis-friendly financial institution in the country.

Land grant/ag school roots.
Their roots are the Spokane Railway workers in east Hillyard - not alot of college grads from there.

GESA - GE - General Electric credit union nuke scientist customers sent a radioactive iodine cloud right over Spokane during the Cold War just to see WTF would happen. Led to Zaggotry, inability to drive 75 miles south on fall Saturdays, and perhaps a few goiters.

Maybe this is reparations?

Every swipe of a WSU branded Gesa Debit card will result in a donation to the CAF. That is awesome.
Damn. And I closed my GESA account a year ago.

Maybe they'll start offering a real Visa with a decent interest rate. I used to have the Alumni Association Mastercard through BofA. They kept raising my credit limit, but they wouldn't reduce the interest rate below 15.99%, even though my credit score is over 800. So I don't have an alumni association mastercard anymore.

Congrats to CHUN and Schulz for getting this deal done. 1.1 M a year is a lot of $$ and will sure help to pay the bills. It’s a shame that this took so long to get done. Unfortunately Moos didn’t listen to the market regarding what it was telling him re the value of these naming rights. Thankfully Chun and Schulz finally got it.

Damn. And I closed my GESA account a year ago.

Maybe they'll start offering a real Visa with a decent interest rate. I used to have the Alumni Association Mastercard through BofA. They kept raising my credit limit, but they wouldn't reduce the interest rate below 15.99%, even though my credit score is over 800. So I don't have an alumni association mastercard anymore.

Who cares about interest rates? We pay off our credit card(s) every month and take advantage of whatever rewards we earn.

Reactions: Wazzubrooz
What does WSU and our market bring to the table to earn those types of numbers?

This specific partnership should drive revenue for GESA. Fantastic opportunity to sign up alumni for a GESA account so they can contribute to the CAF with each purchase.

I know I will probably be opening an account with them because of this. Though it helps that I had to deal with my banks identity theft department recently and it was a nightmare, so I'm in the market for a new bank. Lots of WSU students will be signing up with GESA as a result of this though.

Most corporate partnerships don't drive business the way this one should. I have to think the success of this should make the next one more lucrative.

It's pretty light ... but $1.1m a year beats the hell out of the $0 Moos got after trying to get more. Similar to Larry's overestimation of his leverage with DirecTV and others. For both Moos and Larry, the institutions they served suffered greatly for those errors. Both of those guys didn't suffer all that much.

I support it for at least 3 reasons.

First, this is just the field rights. The stadium can still be named by others, for more money.

Second, "better late than never". It was generating no revenue from a naming standpoint, now it is generating some revenue.

Third, it gives the impression that something is happening, which from a fundraising momentum perspective is a good thing. What is next? The FOB? The stadium? The west end zone goal posts? There are a lot of things that can be named for the right price.

Agreed on all counts, but I'm compelled to note that the odds of anyone paying anything for the stadium naming rights during the pendency of this deal are infinitesimal. Look at history and current circumstance. "Hey Satya, I want to give WSU $3m a year, so the TV announcers and news stories would refer to Gesa Field at Microsoft Enterprise Server Stadium when broadcasting from Pullman." Not happening.

OK, you want a potentially more plausible example, like, say, Darigold. So Gesa Field at Darigold Stadium? C'mon. Nobody is paying to name the stadium with this field naming rights deal.

One thing that didn’t cross my mind about a financial institution being a significant partner is this:

“WSU alum Don Miller, Gesa President and CEO, didn't go into specifics on Friday but said the new WSU co-branded debit card and credit card will make a donation to the Cougar Athletic Fund. (Note: CF.C verified through Washington State SID both the debit and credit card will make a donation to CF.C per transaction).”

Now this is a regional credit union but my guess is almost all of their members have a debit card and many of them use it as a primary means of payment. It’s staggering how quickly these pennies add up so this is pretty awesome for the CAF.

Reactions: 79COUG
I thought they were going to donate for swipes made specifically on a WSU credit/debit card instead of all their cards?

What does WSU and our market bring to the table to earn those types of numbers?

It brings in not just the 30k to 40k people in Pullman market.

It also brings in the Spokane Area, Lewiston, Clarkston, Tri Cities. Eastern WA, about 1,2,3,4 million people market.

Now not all those people are coug fans and will watch WSU games on TV or listen to the game on the radio.

But about 50k to 500k people will either watch the game on TV, and ot listen to the game.

And to each of those 50k to 100k people at minimum to 500k to 750k at maximum, they will either hear or see GESA FIELD IN AT MARTIN STADIUM. Followed up with GESA ADS.

Yep I think thats worth about 1.5 mil to 1.75 mil to 2 mil per year.

Thats about about $2 per person. And that covers ALL the games.

Comparable deals charge $3 to $5 to $7 to $10 per person PER GAME, not having that cover ALL the games.

UW's market is only 2.5 times bigger and yet got 4 times as much.

Since UW got 40 mil, and WSU got 10 mil, a fair deal for WSU would be somewhere between in the middle of 10 mil, and 40 mil.

So 13 mil, to 15 mil to 17 mil to 20 mil for WSU is a pretty fair deal.

Who cares about interest rates? We pay off our credit card(s) every month and take advantage of whatever rewards we earn.
I do now too. Back then...not so much. And really, the alumni association visa didn’t have great rewards. WSECU and Discover were both better.

I thought they were going to donate for swipes made specifically on a WSU credit/debit card instead of all their cards?
Not sure, but they can do whatever they want if they disclose it. On the other hand why the F would you not get a Coug credit card?! That’s the only card they should offer!

Agreed on all counts, but I'm compelled to note that the odds of anyone paying anything for the stadium naming rights during the pendency of this deal are infinitesimal. Look at history and current circumstance. "Hey Satya, I want to give WSU $3m a year, so the TV announcers and news stories would refer to Gesa Field at Microsoft Enterprise Server Stadium when broadcasting from Pullman." Not happening.

OK, you want a potentially more plausible example, like, say, Darigold. So Gesa Field at Darigold Stadium? C'mon. Nobody is paying to name the stadium with this field naming rights deal.

Quite possible to name both the field and the stadium. That often works out to one or the other being a vanity name for an individual or family. Gesa field at Joe Doaks stadium....or Gesa field at the Doaks family stadium...with the Doaks folks getting their name on the stadium for a specific number of years in exchange for either a single large donation or a guaranteed phased donation...makes sense. I also think the FOB, soccer field and IPF need a name in return for some dinero. And let's not forget the Bohler court...if we keep winning in volleyball, that might attract a sponsor of some sort.

It brings in not just the 30k to 40k people in Pullman market.

It also brings in the Spokane Area, Lewiston, Clarkston, Tri Cities. Eastern WA, about 1,2,3,4 million people market.

Now not all those people are coug fans and will watch WSU games on TV or listen to the game on the radio.

But about 50k to 500k people will either watch the game on TV, and ot listen to the game.

And to each of those 50k to 100k people at minimum to 500k to 750k at maximum, they will either hear or see GESA FIELD IN AT MARTIN STADIUM. Followed up with GESA ADS.

Yep I think thats worth about 1.5 mil to 1.75 mil to 2 mil per year.

Thats about about $2 per person. And that covers ALL the games.

Comparable deals charge $3 to $5 to $7 to $10 per person PER GAME, not having that cover ALL the games.

UW's market is only 2.5 times bigger and yet got 4 times as much.

Since UW got 40 mil, and WSU got 10 mil, a fair deal for WSU would be somewhere between in the middle of 10 mil, and 40 mil.

So 13 mil, to 15 mil to 17 mil to 20 mil for WSU is a pretty fair deal.
A 1 or a 4 mil market? That's a big range. It's much closer to 1 mil than 4 mil.

WSU needs the money. Gesa gets a ton exposure. I don’t think we can afford to turn this deal down.

ADVERTISEMENT