ADVERTISEMENT

Gesa Field.

WSU needs the money. Gesa gets a ton exposure. I don’t think we can afford to turn this deal down.

No WSU shouldnt have turned this deal down, but WSU, should have NEGOTIATED, COUNTERD, been able to convince, persuade GESA to go with a 13 mil to 15 mil to 17 mil to 20 mil deal.

Now WSU might have tried that, but somehow I doubt that they did try that.

No WSU shouldnt have turned this deal down, but WSU, should have NEGOTIATED, COUNTERD, been able to convince, persuade GESA to go with a 13 mil to 15 mil to 17 mil to 20 mil deal.

Now WSU might have tried that, but somehow I doubt that they did try that.
Why? You think they just took the first offer that came along? If that was the case the NR would have been sold 5 years ago...C’Mon man!
If you want to blame anyone for what WSU got vs what UW got blame Larry Scott. The conference and every team’s exposure in it has been on a steady decline for years. UW will always fetch more than WSU for stuff like this, but I bet they couldn’t get $30M from anyone today because of the decrease in value of the conference as a whole with Larry running it into the ground.

Quite possible to name both the field and the stadium. That often works out to one or the other being a vanity name for an individual or family. Gesa field at Joe Doaks stadium....or Gesa field at the Doaks family stadium...with the Doaks folks getting their name on the stadium for a specific number of years in exchange for either a single large donation or a guaranteed phased donation...makes sense. I also think the FOB, soccer field and IPF need a name in return for some dinero. And let's not forget the Bohler court...if we keep winning in volleyball, that might attract a sponsor of some sort.

I don't dispute the possibility. I just not only question, but am willing to fully discount, the likelihood.

Disagree. Sterk was worse.
How can you say that?

Sterk's last hire is coaching with Chun's next hire when Rolo gets cancelled (Baldwin).

Cal Poly at home was down 31-10 at halftime to an 0-2 Southern Utah team today.

Cal Poly had won 15 consecutive times at home vs Southern Utah.

It looks like it won't take 3 years to install The Plan - it's already up and running

Its pretty dumb to complain about this deal unless you know of a better one. Apparently 1.1M is what we are worth at this point in time. Nobody can say we rushed into this, since the field has been unnamed for over 100 years. Plus, it is pure profit. It would be criminal not to take it, and when the facts come out, it may turn out that Chun struck a pretty smart deal.

Its pretty dumb to complain about this deal unless you know of a better one. Apparently 1.1M is what we are worth at this point in time. Nobody can say we rushed into this, since the field has been unnamed for over 100 years. Plus, it is pure profit. It would be criminal not to take it, and when the facts come out, it may turn out that Chun struck a pretty smart deal.

This is the post of this string. 100% common sense, and nothing here with which to argue. With sustained success the dynamics start to change, as well as the value figures. But at this time, CO's words are pretty much on target. GESA also appears to be a logical, good reputation, deep pockets sort of long term partner, with additional potential.

This is the post of this string. 100% common sense, and nothing here with which to argue. With sustained success the dynamics start to change, as well as the value figures. But at this time, CO's words are pretty much on target. GESA also appears to be a logical, good reputation, deep pockets sort of long term partner, with additional potential.

My point is not so much taking the cash now.

My point is why the F couldn't the former AD who supposedly was an expert in branding and marketing and responsible for the mega bucks at Oregon couldn't find SOMEBODY in the entirety of his tenure to throw in $1 Million per year?

Or maybe he wasn't such an expert.

Chun did it in arguably the most bizarre economic conditions in the past 75 years.

Reactions: mikalalas

My point is why the F couldn't the former AD who supposedly was an expert in branding and marketing and responsible for the mega bucks at Oregon couldn't find SOMEBODY in the entirety of his tenure to throw in $1 Million per year?

Chun did it in arguably the most bizarre economic conditions in the past 75 years.

Mostly agree, Ob. This is long overdue, and there is no excuse for it not having happened a decade ago. My only quibble is that while this is certainly a bizarre economic situation, that does not equate to being a more difficult time to strike an agreement. Chaos and ferment are always the times that offer opportunity for a business that is well capitalized. GESA (and most larger credit unions, for that matter) is well capitalized at this time. GESA is also looking to become a state wide brand name. A decade ago, credit unions as a group were not in the same situation, so this sort of opportunity did not exist in that market segment. There were other segments, however, and nothing significant was accomplished in that area by Moos. Looking forward, I actually expect a year or so of really favorable opportunities. Covid was not an economic wash, and did not impact all market segments equally. There are many businesses that came through it well, and if we don't get a recession (and the unprecedented stimulus argues that there will not be a recession, just a long term hangover from the fiscal stimulus party), then there are opportunities for Chun to seize. As I've said before, we have an IPF (though the matching gift might have included naming rights...hard to say without any real information), an FOB, a soccer field and a volleyball court that should all be able to get naming rights. Maybe the amount is not super high initially...but with success and time those numbers can go up. And right now, they are zero. We agree that zero is the wrong number, and pretty much indefensible from a fund raising perspective.

Reactions: mikalalas
How can you say that?

Sterk's last hire is coaching with Chun's next hire when Rolo gets cancelled (Baldwin).

Cal Poly at home was down 31-10 at halftime to an 0-2 Southern Utah team today.

Cal Poly had won 15 consecutive times at home vs Southern Utah.

It looks like it won't take 3 years to install The Plan - it's already up and running

Why the hell would we hire Baldwin

In all honesty he didn't need to...Nike was there to do it for him.

ADVERTISEMENT