ADVERTISEMENT

going for it on 4th and 3 on your own 38

cougarhawk1

Team Captain
Aug 31, 2019
leading 17-7 on the road.

Its usually midfield or in enemy territory where you are going to do that EVEN if you are Mike Leach.

Its not 4th and 1 , its 4th and 3. Leach will go for it more than most any other coach on 4th down, but hes usually going to be near mid field.

You cant run a sneak, you miss that 4th and 3 and the other team takes over with 38 yards to the end zone-NOT SMART.

This is a "big issue" for a certain jaggoff liberal sportwriter on another site. Ridiculous.

Not to mention, it's early, lead is fragile, you're up 2 scores, defense has [to that point] been holding, and you've been moving the ball

The field goal felt worse to me if you're going to quibble about anything

Reactions: PINGDUDE4
Not to mention, it's early, lead is fragile, you're up 2 scores, defense has [to that point] been holding, and you've been moving the ball

The field goal felt worse to me if you're going to quibble about anything

And ASU started at their own 13 yard line.

And you guys illustrate the mental problem.

Why is the lead “fragile” up two scores.

Why are you worried they will stop you at 4th and 3.

It’s about confidence.

Reactions: PeteTheChop
no its not early, theres 2 minutes until half, so youre going to give them the ball with 2 30 on the clock at your 38 yard line......uh no

that's not how you go in at half

And you guys illustrate the mental problem.

Why is the lead “fragile” up two scores.

Why are you worried they will stop you at 4th and 3.

It’s about confidence.
Then go for it on 4th on your own 1 yard line in all situations. Confidence, baby!

Point is, a know nothing douche "writer" is claiming Leach "failed at strategy" because he didn't go for it on 4th and 3 at his own 38 with 2 30 until half.

No...…….you don't give a team 3 or 7 going into half on the road. Leach will go for it at midfield much of the time, but to second guess a punt there is just being a douche.

Last edited:
Point is, a no nothing douche "writer" is claiming Leach "failed at strategy" because he didn't go for it on 4th and 3 at his own 38 with 2 30 until half.

No...…….you don't give a team 3 or 7 going into half on the road. Leach will go for it at midfield much of the time, but to second guess a punt there is just being a douche.

Just being himself.

Tough call. Offense was fairly successful early and defense has just been bad in general. Ideally you keep your defense off the field as much as possible. What’s better your defense giving up 85 yards and a score or 38 yards and a quicker score with a chance to get the ball back and do something to close out the half? I’d probably lean towards going for it in that situation.

Most people just try to blame the defense. The offense has not been the same this year and is also to blame for the losses.

An apt retreat.

I'm not retreating. I'm saying you guys are crying about going for it on 4th and 3 on the 38 when it doesn't work and it has worked for us in the past and it helps to reinforce a confident psychology.

You play scared. You'll lose.

Tough call. Offense was fairly successful early and defense has just been bad in general. Ideally you keep your defense off the field as much as possible. What’s better your defense giving up 85 yards and a score or 38 yards and a quicker score with a chance to get the ball back and do something to close out the half? I’d probably lean towards going for it in that situation.

You made some serious moves on defense. You have to give them a chance to perform in a relatively good situation, imo.

Point is, a know nothing douche "writer" is claiming Leach "failed at strategy" because he didn't go for it on 4th and 3 at his own 38 with 2 30 until half.

Actually if our special teams coach was experienced on that punt the punter would still be running today if there was a fire call. Every ASU player ran down field backs turned way before the punter punted . Watch it. Easiest first down WSU would have ever got in the leach years .

name one division one coach who would go for it on 4th and 3 at there own 38 yard line with 2 30 left in the half -on the road against a higher ranked team ?

No one would

But to call it a "strategic blunder" to punt is flat out being a DoucheBag

You made some serious moves on defense. You have to give them a chance to perform in a relatively good situation, imo.
Perhaps. It’s a toss up to me. I’d counter that by saying during conference play anytime our defense has been on the field hasn’t been a good situation.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT