ADVERTISEMENT

Good article(s)...

Loyal Coug

Hall Of Fame
Sep 27, 2003
Last edited:
Hope the link works. First article is about Falk (needs to put on 10 pounds), second one is on 2013 and 2014 QB classes in the Pac-12. Lots of attrition, including both of WSU's.

I'm still having site troubles - locks me up about every 8 words. Grrr.....

http://www.espn.com/blog/pac12/post...washington-state-motivated-by-2016s-mixed-bag

Edit - link to 2nd article:

http://www.espn.com/blog/pac12/post...pac-12-quarterback-classes-from-2013-and-2014

This is kind of amazing, and should keep all of us calmed down about recruiting stud players...especially QBs...

Asiantii Woulard, UCLA: The nation’s No. 1-ranked dual-threat quarterback spent two years in Los Angeles before transferring to South Florida. He is no longer with the team.

Max Browne, USC: Ranked the No. 2 pro-style quarterback, Browne spent three years behind Cody Kessler and was named the starter in 2016 before being replaced after three games by Sam Darnold. He transferred to Pittsburgh for his final season of eligibility.

Not to mention 4 star T. Brugmann.

This is kind of amazing, and should keep all of us calmed down about recruiting stud players...especially QBs...

Asiantii Woulard, UCLA: The nation’s No. 1-ranked dual-threat quarterback spent two years in Los Angeles before transferring to South Florida. He is no longer with the team.

Max Browne, USC: Ranked the No. 2 pro-style quarterback, Browne spent three years behind Cody Kessler and was named the starter in 2016 before being replaced after three games by Sam Darnold. He transferred to Pittsburgh for his final season of eligibility.

There is a light years difference between playing high school QB and playing in college. 1998 was the year of the can't miss QB prospects in Washington. 5 power conference level QB recruits. Everyone turned out to be a flop or a near flop. Finding kids who not only have the physical tools (easy), but the mental acumen (very hard) to succeed at the D1 level is as much luck and art, as it is a science.

As for Bruggman, the warning signs started to go off in the playoffs his junior -- he went 3-25 passing, or something similar, in a loss. He followed it up by a very ordinary senior season. But hindsight is 20/20.

All you have to look at is the long list of UW QB's over the past 15 yrs that were the next big thing.

These scouting websites are designed to make money. If any of these guys were that good at spotting talent. They would be at schools as recruiting coordinators. Same goes for the joker's stealing parents money running satellite camps & off-season 7on7 workouts. If they were that good & connected they would be on staffs instead of weekend hustlers for $50-$100 a kid.

Last edited:
There is a light years difference between playing high school QB and playing in college. 1998 was the year of the can't miss QB prospects in Washington. 5 power conference level QB recruits. Everyone turned out to be a flop or a near flop. Finding kids who not only have the physical tools (easy), but the mental acumen (very hard) to succeed at the D1 level is as much luck and art, as it is a science.

As for Bruggman, the warning signs started to go off in the playoffs his junior -- he went 3-25 passing, or something similar, in a loss. He followed it up by a very ordinary senior season. But hindsight is 20/20.

I think Mencke would have thrived in Leach's offense. And he would have brought that dual threat component. :rolleyes:

Here's the thing about Browne...

How may QB's from outside Southern California has SC played in the last 30 years? I can think of one.

So here you have a coach off to a terrible start, fans and alums ready to fire him... What do you do? You sacrifice people to save yourself. You tell me, if Browne were from Mission Viejo HS would he have been benched??? A lot easier to bench a kid from out of state then it is to bench a kid from a local program...

NW kids are better off staying at NW schools. Just my opinion...

Reactions: cougarmike
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT