ADVERTISEMENT

Good Canzano article RE: tv numbers and the math

ttowncoug

Hall Of Fame
Sep 9, 2001

Interesting they are assuming a fair portion of the windfall comes from new big 10 network subscribers.

seems like sdsu and unlv to fill the geographic void.

Interesting they are assuming a fair portion of the windfall comes from new big 10 network subscribers.

They’re going to have to lower the academic requirements to get in for SDSU. Will they do it? I dunno.

They’re going to have to lower the academic requirements to get in for SDSU.
I recall reading one or two recent articles in which SDSU states they have been preparing scholastically and research wise for a move to a P5 conference so that may not be the case. This came out when the B12 was looking to expand after OU and UT decided to leave. I feel they should be the top target along with BSU and maybe a couple of others. No perfect solution but those maybe the best of a bad hand the PAC12 has been dealt.

They’re going to have to lower the academic requirements to get in for SDSU. Will they do it? I dunno.
For what it is worth, SDSU "admits" have higher GPA and SAT scores than WSU. 6 times the population creates insane demand for undergrad slots.

For what it is worth, SDSU "admits" have higher GPA and SAT scores than WSU. 6 times the population creates insane demand for undergrad slots.
My daughter will be a sophomore at SDSU this year. Their acceptance rate is around 30%

Reactions: M-I-Coug

That seems like a bad assumption. USC and UCLA didn’t draw masses of subscribers to the PAC-12 network, why would they come to the Big Ten network?

I’ve read a couple of articles now that say it’s not so much about market size anymore, but about branding. Teams like Notre dame, Michigan, USC have a measurable national following and will pull subscribers across time zones, and that outweighs the benefit of a lot of local markets. That factors into why UO/UW aren’t worth it at the moment - they are primarily local/regional draws and don’t bring enough national subscribers or advertisers.

The PAC-12 is probably going to have to lower their standards to survive, unless we can wrangle a merger with the Big 12.

Limiting to R1 schools is probably the standard that has to go, because there just aren’t enough of them on the west coast who are also even close to competitive athletically. Nevada is probably closest. UNLV, New Mexico, Utah state, and Colorado state are also out there, but the more of them we add the more we guarantee relegation to mid-major status. Besides, none of them bring any market or branding.

SDSU is headed toward R1, is relatively competitive, and maintains a presence in SoCal, so if some sort of combo with the Big 12 doesn’t happen, SDSU seems like the closest to a no-brainer. UNLV brings Vegas, but that’s not really much. They have no national value and usually aren’t even competitive as a mid-major.

BSU is barely even R2 and is nowhere close to the Pac-12 level academically. They have 15 years of competitive history in football that had some national interest at its peak, but I don’t know that they’d pull subscribers even back then. Since Petersen left, I think that interest has waned.

Admissions and selectivity aren’t really a factor. Research activity is the standard, and SDSU isn’t quite there. They’re working toward R1 (very high research activity), but based on the last Carnegie rankings they aren’t there yet. They advertise $141 million in research funding in 2021. That would be considered an epic disaster in Pullman - last numbers I can find show about 3x that amount for WSU

That seems like a bad assumption. USC and UCLA didn’t draw masses of subscribers to the PAC-12 network, why would they come to the Big Ten network?

I’ve read a couple of articles now that say it’s not so much about market size anymore, but about branding. Teams like Notre dame, Michigan, USC have a measurable national following and will pull subscribers across time zones, and that outweighs the benefit of a lot of local markets. That factors into why UO/UW aren’t worth it at the moment - they are primarily local/regional draws and don’t bring enough national subscribers or advertisers.

The PAC-12 is probably going to have to lower their standards to survive, unless we can wrangle a merger with the Big 12.

Limiting to R1 schools is probably the standard that has to go, because there just aren’t enough of them on the west coast who are also even close to competitive athletically. Nevada is probably closest. UNLV, New Mexico, Utah state, and Colorado state are also out there, but the more of them we add the more we guarantee relegation to mid-major status. Besides, none of them bring any market or branding.

SDSU is headed toward R1, is relatively competitive, and maintains a presence in SoCal, so if some sort of combo with the Big 12 doesn’t happen, SDSU seems like the closest to a no-brainer. UNLV brings Vegas, but that’s not really much. They have no national value and usually aren’t even competitive as a mid-major.

BSU is barely even R2 and is nowhere close to the Pac-12 level academically. They have 15 years of competitive history in football that had some national interest at its peak, but I don’t know that they’d pull subscribers even back then. Since Petersen left, I think that interest has waned.

Last I saw the remaining Tier 1 research universities in the West were:
Nevada Reno
UNLA
UC Davis
Hawaii
Colorado State
Montana State

New Mexico’s and Utah State’s of the world aren’t there yet.

The P10 needs to decide what they wanna do. Is there a merger with B12 and ACC to be had? Do they send offers to other T1 schools? Ultimately the P10 is learning a lesson right now. They should have been shoving as much $ as possible into football for the past 30 years. Now, because they chose not to, they are on the outside looking in at schools about to take down $100,000,000 per year. Whoops.

And LA has 2 NFL teams. Do those TVs in LA really give a shit about ucla playing Indiana in football on the Big10 network. I don’t think they do.

feels more like fox (la based) overspending to include teams into their newly created exclusive college football conference.

Last I saw the remaining Tier 1 research universities in the West were:
Nevada Reno
UNLA
UC Davis
Hawaii
Colorado State
Montana State

New Mexico’s and Utah State’s of the world aren’t there yet.

The P10 needs to decide what they wanna do. Is there a merger with B12 and ACC to be had? Do they send offers to other T1 schools? Ultimately the P10 is learning a lesson right now. They should have been shoving as much $ as possible into football for the past 30 years. Now, because they chose not to, they are on the outside looking in at schools about to take down $100,000,000 per year. Whoops.
Utah State and New Mexico are both R1 in the latest rankings. So is U of Montana.

SDSU and BSU both still fall short.

https://carnegieclassifications.acenet.edu/lookup/lookup.php

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT