ADVERTISEMENT

Good NIL article

Yeah but…sues them for what? Establishing the criteria for playing NCAA football? Totally within their rights.
For saying you can’t sign an endorsement deal and play in certain situations? Also within their rights.
Restricting their right to transfer? They didn’t…they just said you have to meet certain conditions in order to transfer freely. Again, within their rights.
The athlete is free to pursue playing in the NFL, the CFL, the USFL, or various other pro leagues, all of which may come with endorsement opportunities. There’s nothing saying they have to play NCAA ball, they’re choosing to. And as long as participation is a choice, the sponsoring entity has the right to define how to govern participation.

Not that I think the NCAA is likely to fight the battle. But they should. NIL could destroy traditional college sports, and create an environment where the top drawing/earning/winning schools break away and form their own league outside of NCAA influence.

By removing their opportunity to make $? Does the NCAA really want a decision on the books? If they lose, they’re toast. Risk vs reward.

The NCAA let the NIL go because they can’t stop it and were gonna lose in court. And you’re suggesting they place restrictions on kids getting NIL money of they transfer. Sorry, that ain’t holding up in court. And with the amount of $$$ being tossed around that is exactly where it is heading.

Just because you can make the rules does not mean you can break the law. Regardless if that person chose to be there or not. Your argument is not a winner.

By removing their opportunity to make $? Does the NCAA really want a decision on the books? If they lose, they’re toast. Risk vs reward.

The NCAA let the NIL go because they can’t stop it and were gonna lose in court. And you’re suggesting they place restrictions on kids getting NIL money of they transfer. Sorry, that ain’t holding up in court. And with the amount of $$$ being tossed around that is exactly where it is heading.

Just because you can make the rules does not mean you can break the law. Regardless if that person chose to be there or not. Your argument is not a winner.
They're not breaking any laws (although there may be some variations across states). And they're not saying people can't take NIL money. They're saying that in certain circumstances, they can't play. Which - since they're the ones overseeing the opportunity to play - they can certainly place conditions on participation. They're already doing using academic & disciplinary standards. You think a court is going to ding a school or the NCAA for suspending a kid who's flunking out, or who got arrested?

They're in trouble either way. Might as well try to control how much.

Another thought - NIL is going to be massively disproportionate. It's going to go to QBs first and most often, probably followed by WRs. Even as HS recruits & as freshmen. RBs and the defensive players will probably have to play their way into bigger deals later in their careers, but in general aren't going to reach the levels of the QBs. O linemen aren't going to get much, and it'll be the rare OL that gets a significant NIL deal. That's just what the market is going to do, and there's no changing it. But...the schools and the NCAA can reasonably try to come up with ways to level that out. They can't do it by directly controlling the money, so like you pointed out somewhere above, what they can do is control participation.

They're not breaking any laws (although there may be some variations across states). And they're not saying people can't take NIL money. They're saying that in certain circumstances, they can't play. Which - since they're the ones overseeing the opportunity to play - they can certainly place conditions on participation. They're already doing using academic & disciplinary standards. You think a court is going to ding a school or the NCAA for suspending a kid who's flunking out, or who got arrested?

They're in trouble either way. Might as well try to control how much.

Another thought - NIL is going to be massively disproportionate. It's going to go to QBs first and most often, probably followed by WRs. Even as HS recruits & as freshmen. RBs and the defensive players will probably have to play their way into bigger deals later in their careers, but in general aren't going to reach the levels of the QBs. O linemen aren't going to get much, and it'll be the rare OL that gets a significant NIL deal. That's just what the market is going to do, and there's no changing it. But...the schools and the NCAA can reasonably try to come up with ways to level that out. They can't do it by directly controlling the money, so like you pointed out somewhere above, what they can do is control participation.

The NCAA has no way to limit NIL $. That is the reason they walked away. And now your logic is that the kids transferring can take the $ and sit or play and not get paid. Still adds up to the NCAA restricting the $. It isnt gonna happen. You arent the internet genius that found a way around it while the NCAA lawyers were completely stumped. You arent going to get a call from the NCAA saying “why didnt we think of that! Brilliant!” Your academic argument is crap. They have no control over the kids making money off THEIR name, THEIR image and THEIR likeness. Take the loss and stop this ridiculous argument.

The NCAA has no way to limit NIL $. That is the reason they walked away. And now your logic is that the kids transferring can take the $ and sit or play and not get paid. Still adds up to the NCAA restricting the $. It isnt gonna happen. You arent the internet genius that found a way around it while the NCAA lawyers were completely stumped. You arent going to get a call from the NCAA saying “why didnt we think of that! Brilliant!” Your academic argument is crap. They have no control over the kids making money off THEIR name, THEIR image and THEIR likeness. Take the loss and stop this ridiculous argument.
Sorry, I forgot that your opinion is the only one that matters or makes sense. GFY.

Sorry, I forgot that your opinion is the only one that matters or makes sense. GFY.

Let us all know when the NCAA lawyers call you for more of your brilliance on how the NCAA can take away NIL money when they’ve already punted on it.

Your “opinion” is wrong. hahahahahahahahaha

Let us all know when the NCAA lawyers call you for more of your brilliance on how the NCAA can take away NIL money when they’ve already punted on it.

Yeah, make sure you let us know when anyone who matters wants your opinion either.

Clearly it matters to you.

Tell me again how you plan to take away NIL $ and it will be ok??? hahahahahahahahaha
If the NCAA wants to do something, there are options beyond roster limits. They probably won’t do anything.

We’re all just a bunch of internet trolls debating stuff that’s never going to be tested, and nobody’s going to care about our opinions, so I’m not going to waste any more time debating it, especially with anyone who doesn’t listen anyway.

If the NCAA wants to do something, there are options beyond roster limits. They probably won’t do anything.

We’re all just a bunch of internet trolls debating stuff that’s never going to be tested, and nobody’s going to care about our opinions, so I’m not going to waste any more time debating it, especially with anyone who doesn’t listen anyway.

I did listen. It is you that doesn’t get it. Sad. Wish you were smarter.

The ncaa lawyers were late to the party . If nil pisses off the wrong people and those people don’t get a benefit from nil, then trust me something will be done . You think bama and Georgia are going to allow a and m spending spread change the dynamics of the sec ?

I did listen. It is you that doesn’t get it. Sad. Wish you were smarter.
Tell me this … you sign a letter of intent , in that letter it specifically says for your participation you can not receive compensation. That is the rule of the pac 12 . Sec etc. The kid signs the letter . There is nothing forcing him to sign the letter . He can go to a conference that does not have that rule in the scholie agreement .

i know I know … violates their civil rights . You know , back in the day US bank made it mandatory their employees take a drug test . I never worked for US bank .

I get the test for someone driving a bus, plane, a cement truck etc. Why a dude sitting at a desk ? “Unfair”. Life’s unfair ….

The ncaa lawyers were late to the party . If nil pisses off the wrong people and those people don’t get a benefit from nil, then trust me something will be done . You think bama and Georgia are going to allow a and m spending spread change the dynamics of the sec ?

No. I do not think Bama and Uga will watch that happen. Any more than SC, UO and uw watched Arizona take down 10% of the top 50 players in CA this year.

I think they’ll see A&M’s bet and raise.

Tell me this … you sign a letter of intent , in that letter it specifically says for your participation you can not receive compensation. That is the rule of the pac 12 . Sec etc. The kid signs the letter . There is nothing forcing him to sign the letter . He can go to a conference that does not have that rule in the scholie agreement .

i know I know … violates their civil rights . You know , back in the day US bank made it mandatory their employees take a drug test . I never worked for US bank .

I get the test for someone driving a bus, plane, a cement truck etc. Why a dude sitting at a desk ? “Unfair”. Life’s unfair ….

Receives compensation from who? The school? Outside source?

NCAA banned payment to players of any kind for decades. They punted. That should tell you there ass was toast in court. You cannot keep players from making $ on THEIR name, THEIR image and THEIR likeness. No matter what bullshit you put in the fine print. Just because it is in the contract does not mean it is legal, enforceable or will stand up in court when tested. And again, the NCAA punted. They said f it. We cant stop it. Flood gates are open.

All this dipshittery about contracts or taking away eligibility or taking the $$$$. You 2 are morons.

It all adds up to the NCAA not being able to keep kids from making $ on themselves. The end. It isn’t going to stand up in court. You are searching for any way to take away the $ when any judge will see right thru it. You cannot.

Hence, cut the fing rosters to 70.

And Jesus Ed, would you want someone with a $100 per day coke habit in charge of your $$$???

Hot f’ing damn there is no bottom to your dipshittedness.

Receives compensation from who? The school? Outside source?

NCAA banned payment to players of any kind for decades. They punted. That should tell you there ass was toast in court. You cannot keep players from making $ on THEIR name, THEIR image and THEIR likeness. No matter what bullshit you put in the fine print. Just because it is in the contract does not mean it is legal, enforceable or will stand up in court when tested. And again, the NCAA punted. They said f it. We cant stop it. Flood gates are open.

All this dipshittery about contracts or taking away eligibility or taking the $$$$. You 2 are morons.

It all adds up to the NCAA not being able to keep kids from making $ on themselves. The end. It isn’t going to stand up in court. You are searching for any way to take away the $ when any judge will see right thru it. You cannot.

Hence, cut the fing rosters to 70.

And Jesus Ed, would you want someone with a $100 per day coke habit in charge of your $$$???

Hot f’ing damn there is no bottom to your dipshittedness.
Good grief …. Do you have any idea how much coke hookers and everything between were making money back in the day . Probably rather have someone cooked up than drunk on the job handling money

Also , tell me what max Borghi nil deal is without a place to play . You act like the conferences and ncaa don’t have any leverage . They do . Max go play in the half , the x league or any other spring league .

Smart people will find away around it . And if row v wade can be overturned , trust me nil can do if it went that far .

ED, there actually is a logical reason for drug testing some office workers. Drug use can be an expensive habit, and if you become addicted you are more likely to do things that you wouldn't do normally in order to feed the drug habit. Things like embezzle or steal money, for those working in a financial institution. Or in cases like working for a defense contractor, someone with a drug habit is more susceptible to taking money from a foreign entity in exchange for $$$ for drugs. So don't dismiss it out of hand, drug testing can be a good policy to have in situations like that.

So did you not work for US Bank because of that reason or did you just hear of that policy while you were on a different career path?

Good grief …. Do you have any idea how much coke hookers and everything between were making money back in the day . Probably rather have someone cooked up than drunk on the job handling money

Also , tell me what max Borghi nil deal is without a place to play . You act like the conferences and ncaa don’t have any leverage . They do . Max go play in the half , the x league or any other spring league .

Smart people will find away around it . And if row v wade can be overturned , trust me nil can do if it went that far .

Max gets a check if he enters the portal.

And no, the NCAA has no leverage. If they did, why didn’t they use it? Why did the NCAA, when seeing what’s coming down the road for years now, all of a sudden punt? Cause it’s better to walk away and open the flood gates than to get a decision on the books. This is a loser for them. Denying an American the ability to make money on their own NAME? Ain’t happening.The NCAA, after literally decades of not letting kids make money off their own NAME, didn’t just decide one day that it was time to change. They saw the writing on the legal wall. It’s over.

It took RvW 50 years to get here. NIL could be the same and does anyone care as much???

This is what is.

Max gets a check if he enters the portal.

And no, the NCAA has no leverage. If they did, why didn’t they use it? Why did the NCAA, when seeing what’s coming down the road for years now, all of a sudden punt? Cause it’s better to walk away and open the flood gates than to get a decision on the books. This is a loser for them. Denying an American the ability to make money on their own NAME? Ain’t happening.The NCAA, after literally decades of not letting kids make money off their own NAME, didn’t just decide one day that it was time to change. They saw the writing on the legal wall. It’s over.

It took RvW 50 years to get here. NIL could be the same and does anyone care as much???

This is what is.
Can’t understand why this is hard for you . The ncaa got caught with their pants down. They had a huge spill . Now will be the clean up . I make no assertion what is right or wrong . Just telling you without a forum for the athletes to participate in they don’t get their nil money .

Reactions: Observer11
ED, there actually is a logical reason for drug testing some office workers. Drug use can be an expensive habit, and if you become addicted you are more likely to do things that you wouldn't do normally in order to feed the drug habit. Things like embezzle or steal money, for those working in a financial institution. Or in cases like working for a defense contractor, someone with a drug habit is more susceptible to taking money from a foreign entity in exchange for $$$ for drugs. So don't dismiss it out of hand, drug testing can be a good policy to have in situations like that.

So did you not work for US Bank because of that reason or did you just hear of that policy while you were on a different career path?
Does Manafort have a drug habit we don’t know about ? He embezzled 15 mil. Also the alcoholic can steal just as quickly as the coke head .

And research has shown is embezzlement isn’t typically a result of drug use . And what causes fraud and embezzlement is something they can’t test for ….

Did I choose not to work for us bank because of their drug test? Not a hill I personally would die on however I was with several people who did not want to have a drug test taken .

And how long does coke and other drugs stay in your body ?

Last edited:
Can’t understand why this is hard for you . The ncaa got caught with their pants down. They had a huge spill . Now will be the clean up . I make no assertion what is right or wrong . Just telling you without a forum for the athletes to participate in they don’t get their nil money .

And without the athlete where do the schools get their big tv deals from? Who pays $3,000,000 coaching salaries to watch d3 players?

Want the most tv $? Better get the most talent. It’s no longer free.

Can’t understand why this is hard for you. Actually, I can lol

And without the athlete where do the schools get their big tv deals from? Who pays $3,000,000 coaching salaries to watch d3 players?

Want the most tv $? Better get the most talent. It’s no longer free.

Can’t understand why this is hard for you. Actually, I can lol
Thank gawd you are around … I am frickin bored as my flight to Maui has been delayed… so at least I have someone to kill time with …

How has ncaa baseball lived on if the top prospects are going to the minor leagues? You could peel off the top 200 players in the power five and move up 200 kids from fcs and there will still be the same fab interest

Thank gawd you are around … I am frickin bored as my flight to Maui has been delayed… so at least I have someone to kill time with …

How has ncaa baseball lived on if the top prospects are going to the minor leagues? You could peel off the top 200 players in the power five and move up 200 kids from fcs and there will still be the same fab interest

So you’re saying essentially remove all the kids that get drafted and fans will still turn out as before and spend as before. Disagree.

Everyone knows the difference between minor league and major league baseball. They will see with their own eyes the massive drop in talent.

Does Manafort have a drug habit we don’t know about ? He embezzled 15 mil. Also the alcoholic can steal just as quickly as the coke head .

And research has shown is embezzlement isn’t typically a result of drug use . And what causes fraud and embezzlement is something they can’t test for ….

Did I choose not to work for us bank because of their drug test? Not a hill I personally would die on however I was with several people who did not want to have a drug test taken .

And how long does coke and other drugs stay in your body ?
Well, to start with, the discussion wasn't about whether an alcoholic was a faster thief than an addict. And I have never heard of an alcoholic doing burglaries to finance buying booze, but have often heard of people people stealing, hooking, etc to pay for drugs. Drugs are a more expensive high.

So what DOES cause embezzlement? Greed, maybe? The thrill of getting away with it? Fear? Revenge? Funding a drug habit? Lots of possibilities, pretty sure there isn't one single cause. When you are considered for a US Security Clearance, they investigate your marriage situation, your criminal record, your habits, your financial stability, and can test you for possible drug use. All of these things are issues that can leave you vulnerable to accepting $$$ from a bad actor to convince you to do something you shouldn't. Thus the rationale for drug testing.

Google/Bing/Duckduckgo are your friends! Hint: Anywhere from 1-90 days, depending on the drug and the method of testing. Did you know that drugs stay in your hair MUCH longer than in your pee? Better shave your head before your next drug test! I suppose to be sure you should also do your pits, chest, arms, legs, pubes, etc. Only option you will leave them is to yank one out of the nose! lol

Well, to start with, the discussion wasn't about whether an alcoholic was a faster thief than an addict. And I have never heard of an alcoholic doing burglaries to finance buying booze, but have often heard of people people stealing, hooking, etc to pay for drugs. Drugs are a more expensive high.

So what DOES cause embezzlement? Greed, maybe? The thrill of getting away with it? Fear? Revenge? Funding a drug habit? Lots of possibilities, pretty sure there isn't one single cause. When you are considered for a US Security Clearance, they investigate your marriage situation, your criminal record, your habits, your financial stability, and can test you for possible drug use. All of these things are issues that can leave you vulnerable to accepting $$$ from a bad actor to convince you to do something you shouldn't. Thus the rationale for drug testing.

Google/Bing/Duckduckgo are your friends! Hint: Anywhere from 1-90 days, depending on the drug and the method of testing. Did you know that drugs stay in your hair MUCH longer than in your pee? Better shave your head before your next drug test! I suppose to be sure you should also do your pits, chest, arms, legs, pubes, etc. Only option you will leave them is to yank one out of the nose! lol
Being in a division of the banking biz… most institutions are not drug testing . Paul Manafort embezzled 15 large… don’t believe he had a drug problem . Aldrich Ames sold secrets to the Russians … he didn’t have a drug problem .

And yes I could look up each drug and see how long they last in the system but why? Most financial institutions aren’t asking for a drug test, and they aren’t asking for the people in the position to do serious damage are for sure not being asked .

And you believe in the 80’s the guy smoking pot every night had either a money problem or even the motivation to steal money ?

I've been out of touch for several days, so I'm just catching up. I enjoyed this thread.

Unless they changed it semi-recently, FCS has 65 scholies total and a 15 per year cap. I'm probably 5 years out of date, so take that with a grain of salt.

I really liked the comment(s) earlier in this thread that I interpret and summarize as follows:

"The SEC is not wild about NIL because they already had the best developed method of illegal payments, and NIL simply puts more ethical/timid conferences on a somewhat more even playing field." That seems about right to me, and I thank those who contributed to that!

The NCAA, IMHO, is unlikely to do anything without some congressional legal cover.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT