ADVERTISEMENT

Great column by Jim Moore

Has Jim got his life back under control? I can't see him going to the S-R otherwise...though he probably never drank more than Harry Missildine.

Has Jim got his life back under control? I can't see him going to the S-R otherwise...though he probably never drank more than Harry Missildine.
Jim Moore just got laid off from ESPN710 (aka KIRO AM) two weeks ago along with John Clayton and a nasally guy named Tom Wassell. COVID advert money losses and the program director went after some of the money folks.

Big uproar when John Clayton got let go, he got reinstated to his Saturday AM show this week. (Some of the talent who survived the ax are pretty awful - exception Michael Bumpus is actually quite good, might be good enough to move to a bigger market at some point).

Jim Moore isn't bad on the radio - not a fan of his writing or WSU fool personna that he has while doing his columns.

Jim Moore isn't bad on the radio - not a fan of his writing or WSU fool personna that he has while doing his columns.
F-L,

I like Jim because his optimism never wanes, sorta like a more cerebral version of Coach Walden.

They are opposites of fair-weather fans like Blanchett of Bud Withers (whatever happened to him?)

Jim Moore just got laid off from ESPN710 (aka KIRO AM) two weeks ago along with John Clayton and a nasally guy named Tom Wassell. COVID advert money losses and the program director went after some of the money folks.

Big uproar when John Clayton got let go, he got reinstated to his Saturday AM show this week. (Some of the talent who survived the ax are pretty awful - exception Michael Bumpus is actually quite good, might be good enough to move to a bigger market at some point).

They laid off Clayton? WTF, they were lucky to have JC.

Wow, didn't know any of this. I used to listen to Moore on the afternoon show on my evening commute. Of course, because of Covid, I have been teleworking since March. So, I haven't been listening since then. Frankly, a columnist can work from anywhere and write. Heck, I believe Danny O'Neil, the morning show host on ESPN 710, is living in New York, as his wife is going to school.

Wassell was brought here by Mike Salk, who I believe is the program director. They are friends from back east.

Clayton write for the Washington Post, plus he is one of the Seahawks radio sideline reporters. Unless he was laid of there as well.

Wow, didn't know any of this. I used to listen to Moore on the afternoon show on my evening commute. Of course, because of Covid, I have been teleworking since March. So, I haven't been listening since then. Frankly, a columnist can work from anywhere and write. Heck, I believe Danny O'Neil, the morning show host on ESPN 710, is living in New York, as his wife is going to school.

Wassell was brought here by Mike Salk, who I believe is the program director. They are friends from back east.

Clayton write for the Washington Post, plus he is one of the Seahawks radio sideline reporters. Unless he was laid of there as well.
Yeah, it was a couple of weeks ago, announced on The Seattle Times. They were let go because advertising revenue is down, (COVID + Zoom), as so many people in western WA are working from home. We hope Jim lands a good paying and secure gig somewhere. If you recall, he went through a real tough setback and hardship when he lost his job at the P-I.

A terrific columnist, and a great COUG.

Reactions: PeteTheChop

O'Neill's wife took a job with "failing New York Times" - she was with the REALLY failing Seattle Times where they met. Danny O'Neill has adjusted to radio pretty well.
Clayton kept his Seahawks and WaPost gigs. He lost his 10AM-Noon M-F show (and they have no replacement) and his Saturday 8 to 10 AM show and some drop ins. He got back his Saturday show 8 to 11AM and his drop ins were modified a bit. Previously his Saturday show had been cut to 8AM to 9PM and they had some kids trying to get experience in this Saturday AM slot.

Jim Moore had a Saturday golf show that bounces around - it is possible that might have survived but not sure.

The kids that were being groomed to take over aren't VG or aren't ready. Some have personality but no chops (Lydia Cruz they laid off 3 months ago can't read copy very well) or have chops but no personality (soy boy Paul Gallant they got from back east is poor replacement for Brock Huard).

Their ad revenue is so bad that they are airing Brand X ads with Paul Sorensen about 3 times a day. No restaurant or bar ads these days. People making the big bucks in COVID 2020 don't need advertising spots.

O'Neill's wife took a job with "failing New York Times" - she was with the REALLY failing Seattle Times where they met. Danny O'Neill has adjusted to radio pretty well.
Clayton kept his Seahawks and WaPost gigs. He lost his 10AM-Noon M-F show (and they have no replacement) and his Saturday 8 to 10 AM show and some drop ins. He got back his Saturday show 8 to 11AM and his drop ins were modified a bit. Previously his Saturday show had been cut to 8AM to 9PM and they had some kids trying to get experience in this Saturday AM slot.

Jim Moore had a Saturday golf show that bounces around - it is possible that might have survived but not sure.

The kids that were being groomed to take over aren't VG or aren't ready. Some have personality but no chops (Lydia Cruz they laid off 3 months ago can't read copy very well) or have chops but no personality (soy boy Paul Gallant they got from back east is poor replacement for Brock Huard).

Their ad revenue is so bad that they are airing Brand X ads with Paul Sorensen about 3 times a day. No restaurant or bar ads these days. People making the big bucks in COVID 2020 don't need advertising spots.
Thanks for the update. Moore was also writing for the Kitsap Sun and had been laid of a while ago. There is not much to the paper any more. Too bad for him. He was the longest tenured on air personality.

Gallant was also from the Boston area (as was Mike Salk), but had been working in Houston for a number of years. I am sure they are not paying him too much. He is just your average cookie cutter sports radio co-host. I have a love-hate listening relationship with Danny. I think he is talented. But, he is better in a three person show than a two person show. The more he talks, the more annoying he gets (as with almost all uw grads).

Yeah, it was a couple of weeks ago, announced on The Seattle Times. They were let go because advertising revenue is down, (COVID + Zoom), as so many people in western WA are working from home. We hope Jim lands a good paying and secure gig somewhere. If you recall, he went through a real tough setback and hardship when he lost his job at the P-I.

A terrific columnist, and a great COUG.
I didn't always agree with Moore. He had some illogical takes on things. But, unlike most personalities, he never took himself too seriously. That is what I liked most about him. Too many "experts" think they are the smartest person in the room, even when they are outside.

Reactions: M-I-Coug
I cant stand him and wish he would stop representing WSU as the lovable loser. He is everything Coach Turd was and WSU needs to move away from that ideology.

Reactions: WASH ST A&M FAN
Not familiar with Harry M. What’s the story with him?

Pete, you are clearly a Johnny Come Lately to WSU. I'll humor you with some history (remember, the winners write the history, so this may be just a tad biased...and I'll just focus on the WSU connection, though Harry wrote about much more than just WSU).

Prior to the evil Blanchette and his big ugly twin (whose name I have managed, with effort, to forget), who when they first became the WSU beat writers made every effort to show they were not a "homer", the WSU beat writer for the S-R was Harry Missildine. Harry was a true homer, hence the original root of Blanchette's insecure desire to differentiate himself from a writing legend and be the "anti-homer" in all things WSU. Harry used to come to Pullman for the games, turn in very good copy after an event (I used to love his column; at one point I had aspirations to be a writer, and one of the major sources of that desire was the level of sheer fun that Harry always seemed to be having with his column), have a few with the coaching staff and sleep on Sweeney's couch...then drive back to Spokane the next day. I used to assume he was hung over while driving back, but I've since known many functioning alcoholics in my life, and it is surprising how seldom they have real, live, hangovers, unless they drink themselves unconscious (and sometimes, no hangover even then...amazing). I have no personal knowledge of whether Harry was in fact an alcoholic, but his drinking was legendary by the time I got to WSU. Harry also seemed to have a good relationship with Ravelling, which I have to assume from my limited interactions with George would have been easy to do if you had the intellect. Missildine was one of those reporters who could organize his thoughts during the sporting event, dictate copy that was remarkably free of grammatical errors in a single phone call, and then go party with his friends. One of his calling cards was the dramatic opening sentence, often alliterative, which often featured a nickname for the subject...Keith Lincoln as the "Moose of the Palouse", as an example. He also was responsible for Dee Andros being called "the Great Pumpkin" (due to his shape and the orange jacket he wore on the OSU sidelines), and suggested the name "Big Sky" for that conference after a book title of the time. My understanding was that if you liked WSU, had a wit and/or were somewhat larger than life and liked fermented beverages, it was easy to be Harry's friend; he was reported to be quite genial, though probably not the best mentor for younger reporters. I've often wondered if he ever specifically pissed in Blanchette's corn flakes...that would have explained some of what I saw happen after the fact. I grew up reading Harry from the time that I could read (his column started the year before I was born), and my memory is that he retired during my WSU years ('76-'80). He was the reason that most of the Spokane area sports fans subscribed to the S-R while students at WSU. Blanchette, who was at least marginally professional, and the big ugly who was never professional and sharpened his hatchet daily (mistaking being snarky for being profound) took over the WSU beat. The big ugly survived something like 2-3 years and was gone...I've always assumed some key advertisers who were WSU fans simply had had enough of his poor & nasty writing. At that point, Blanchette inherited the senior beat spot, and the rest is history.

As a side note, I spent most of my 20's in Tulsa with the company I joined upon graduating from WSU. Tulsa's Central High School in the 30's must have been an amazing place, and an example of what a good high school faculty could do. Tony Randall and Harry were in the same class. Paul Harvey was 2 years older. A rather amazing list of others were there during that decade. All three commented multiple times about the role of public schools in the development of citizens. I'll add that when I arrived in SoCal, Jim Murray was at the height of his writing abilities, winning the Pulitzer a few years later. I enjoyed reading Jim...it was much like reading Harry in both style and substance...but Jim was a touch more caustic. His famous Spokane quote: "The only trouble with Spokane is that there's nothing to do there after 10 o'clock. In the morning." was an example of the sort of cheap shot that he would occasionally use for emphasis (insert snare drum shot here). Harry, who was a contemporary, did not often use that sort of caustic humor, though he did it occasionally if provoked.

Pete, if you are going to be on this board, it is worth Googling Harry Missildine and spending a few minutes. Maybe find and read a couple of WSU columns (his 20+ year column was called "Twice Over Lightly"). You are likely to get an insight into what it was to be a Coug fan in the 60's and 70's that would be hard to pick up any other way, unless you lived it. RIP, Harry.

Edit: I took my own advice and did some Google trolling, and found Blanchette's "so long ode" to Harry. Blanchette can write when motivated:

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2005/dec/29/they-dont-make-them-like-him-anymore/

Last edited:
Awesome work Crazy8!

Thanks for taking the time.

Harry seems like one of those larger than life figures who really understood what sports writing was supposed to be.

A shame John Blanchette and the unnamed "Big Ugly" twin never got the memo. What a miserable way to go through life being bitter, cynical and always thinking the worst about others.

It's also why Jim Moore's relentless optimism is such a breath of fresh air.

Pete, you are clearly a Johnny Come Lately to WSU. I'll humor you with some history (remember, the winners write the history, so this may be just a tad biased...and I'll just focus on the WSU connection, though Harry wrote about much more than just WSU).

Prior to the evil Blanchette and his big ugly twin (whose name I have managed, with effort, to forget), who when they first became the WSU beat writers made every effort to show they were not a "homer", the WSU beat writer for the S-R was Harry Missildine. Harry was a true homer, hence the original root of Blanchette's insecure desire to differentiate himself from a writing legend and be the "anti-homer" in all things WSU. Harry used to come to Pullman for the games, turn in very good copy after an event (I used to love his column; at one point I had aspirations to be a writer, and one of the major sources of that desire was the level of sheer fun that Harry always seemed to be having with his column), have a few with the coaching staff and sleep on Sweeney's couch...then drive back to Spokane the next day. I used to assume he was hung over while driving back, but I've since known many functioning alcoholics in my life, and it is surprising how seldom they have real, live, hangovers, unless they drink themselves unconscious (and sometimes, no hangover even then...amazing). I have no personal knowledge of whether Harry was in fact an alcoholic, but his drinking was legendary by the time I got to WSU. Harry also seemed to have a good relationship with Ravelling, which I have to assume from my limited interactions with George would have been easy to do if you had the intellect. Missildine was one of those reporters who could organize his thoughts during the sporting event, dictate copy that was remarkably free of grammatical errors in a single phone call, and then go party with his friends. One of his calling cards was the dramatic opening sentence, often alliterative, which often featured a nickname for the subject...Keith Lincoln as the "Moose of the Palouse", as an example. He also was responsible for Dee Andros being called "the Great Pumpkin" (due to his shape and the orange jacket he wore on the OSU sidelines), and suggested the name "Big Sky" for that conference after a book title of the time. My understanding was that if you liked WSU, had a wit and/or were somewhat larger than life and liked fermented beverages, it was easy to be Harry's friend; he was reported to be quite genial, though probably not the best mentor for younger reporters. I've often wondered if he ever specifically pissed in Blanchette's corn flakes...that would have explained some of what I saw happen after the fact. I grew up reading Harry from the time that I could read (his column started the year before I was born), and my memory is that he retired during my WSU years ('76-'80). He was the reason that most of the Spokane area sports fans subscribed to the S-R while students at WSU. Blanchette, who was at least marginally professional, and the big ugly who was never professional and sharpened his hatchet daily (mistaking being snarky for being profound) took over the WSU beat. The big ugly survived something like 2-3 years and was gone...I've always assumed some key advertisers who were WSU fans simply had had enough of his poor & nasty writing. At that point, Blanchette inherited the senior beat spot, and the rest is history.

As a side note, I spent most of my 20's in Tulsa with the company I joined upon graduating from WSU. Tulsa's Central High School in the 30's must have been an amazing place, and an example of what a good high school faculty could do. Tony Randall and Harry were in the same class. Paul Harvey was 2 years older. A rather amazing list of others were there during that decade. All three commented multiple times about the role of public schools in the development of citizens. I'll add that when I arrived in SoCal, Jim Murray was at the height of his writing abilities, winning the Pulitzer a few years later. I enjoyed reading Jim...it was much like reading Harry in both style and substance...but Jim was a touch more caustic. His famous Spokane quote: "The only trouble with Spokane is that there's nothing to do there after 10 o'clock. In the morning." was an example of the sort of cheap shot that he would occasionally use for emphasis (insert snare drum shot here). Harry, who was a contemporary, did not often use that sort of caustic humor, though he did it occasionally if provoked.

Pete, if you are going to be on this board, it is worth Googling Harry Missildine and spending a few minutes. Maybe find and read a couple of WSU columns (his 20+ year column was called "Twice Over Lightly"). You are likely to get an insight into what it was to be a Coug fan in the 60's and 70's that would be hard to pick up any other way, unless you lived it. RIP, Harry.

Edit: I took my own advice and did some Google trolling, and found Blanchette's "so long ode" to Harry. Blanchette can write when motivated:

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2005/dec/29/they-dont-make-them-like-him-anymore/

I virtually "cut my Coug teeth" on Missildine and Dutch Schultz in the Spokane papers, as a kid. Along with BobRob on the radio, they all fed my young Coug passion and helped to make me the die-hard I am today.

F-L,

I like Jim because his optimism never wanes, sorta like a more cerebral version of Coach Walden.

They are opposites of fair-weather fans like Blanchett of Bud Withers (whatever happened to him?)

Yeah, reasons laid out above are why I don't listen or read what he writes. He's not my cup of tea.

I like Jim as a human and I hope he lands on his feet - am sorry to hear more good people are hit with layoffs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT