ADVERTISEMENT

Guess the Heisman talk can stop now?

31 points is a gpod outing The offense will come alive against Arizona and score over 42 points.

1. The high altitude, winds, bad weather, was making it extremely difficult to pass accurately take advantage of opportunities missed.

2. Even when Minshew was accurate, despite bad weather, high altitude, etc, the WR's had a small, moderate case of the dropsies, on KEY plays, opportunities.

3. WSU ran it more then usual

4. Colorado desperate to not lose its 5th in a row, tried its absolute hardest to shut down Minshew, WR's.

DESPITE ALL OF THE ABOVE COMBINED Minshew still managed to pass for ABOUT 300, 350, 385 yards 2,3 TD's, 1,2 rushing TD's, and managed to GAME MANAGE, LEAD TEAM TO 31 THIRTY ONE POINTS, TO 7, 24, TWENTY FOUR POINT BLOWOUT WIN DESPITE ALL THE ABOVE.

Minshew didnt turn the ball over, didnt throw interceptions. Didnt force things.

HE TOOK WHAT THE DEFENSE, HIS PASS DROPPING WR'S,HIS RB'S, PLAYS, ETC, GAVE HIM.

And that is far more important then to only pass for 435 yards, 4,5 TD's,3 Ints, 2 fumbles, etc, in a LOSS.

MINSHEW IS A WINNER, AND FINDS WAYS TO WIN, AND THATS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING AND TRAIT IN A HEISMAN CANDIDATE.

Also if it werent for the things I mentioned in my post, Minshew probably would have passed for about 400 to 600 yards, 4 to 6 TD's, and about 40 to 55 points to 7 score, instead of 31 to 7

1. The high altitude, winds, bad weather, was making it extremely difficult to pass accurately take advantage of opportunities missed.

2. Even when Minshew was accurate, despite bad weather, high altitude, etc, the WR's had a small, moderate case of the dropsies, on KEY plays, opportunities.

4. Colorado desperate to not lose its 5th in a row, tried its absolute hardest to shut down Minshew, WR's.

DESPITE ALL OF THE ABOVE COMBINED Minshew still managed to pass for ABOUT 300, 350, 385 yards 2,3 TD's, 1,2 rushing TD's, and managed to GAME MANAGE, LEAD TEAM TO 31 THIRTY ONE POINTS, TO 7, 24, TWENTY FOUR POINT BLOWOUT WIN DESPITE ALL THE ABOVE.

Minshew didnt turn the ball over, didnt throw interceptions. Didnt force things.

HE TOOK WHAT THE DEFENSE, HIS PASS DROPPING WR'S,HIS RB'S, PLAYS, ETC, GAVE HIM.

And that is far more important then to only pass for 435 yards, 4,5 TD's,3 Ints, 2 fumbles, etc, in a LOSS.

MINSHEW IS A WINNER, AND FINDS WAYS TO WIN, AND THATS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING AND TRAIT IN A HEISMAN CANDIDATE.
Disagree on #4–I felt they were only giving 92-94.5% effort.

#5–I thought it was 305, 360, or 413 yards passing yards for Minshew?

Ok, just busting your chops Mik.

Reactions: Fab5Coug
I think he hasn’t done anything to diminish his stock. Tua’s stats weren’t that great today and he threw an Int.

I expect Georgia to give him problems.

As I said earlier the Apple Cup will be where Minshew separates himself.

Reactions: taf88
Also, when WSU was up 24 to 7 in the 4th, with about 13 minutes left, and when WSU, was up 31 to 7 with 10 minutes left, Leach, Minshew took the foot off the gas pedal, played more control, burn clock, instead of padding Minshew's Stats, game score.

And instead of putting Gordon in, with 2:30 left, Leach could have left Minshew in, padded the score, Minshew's stats.

Not saying that should have been done, and think Leach, WSU, Minshew was right to play control, take foot off gas, not run up score, etc.

And it was right to put Gordon in.

Just pointing out that Minshew could have really run up, padded his stats up, and could have really ran up the score.

Minshew's tale and growing legend will make for a compelling story. It would take a miracle for him to win it....but this whole season is becoming a miracle unto itself, so why not?

I was at the game and want to clear up a few things after reading them about 5x:
  • Weather: The weather was not "bad". It was sunny and in the 50s most of the day. No rain, no thunder, no freezing temps - great fall day
  • Altitude: I'm no physicist but I don't think altitude explains anything. It helps a 58-yard range kicker hit 60, but it's Boulder, not the MOON
  • Wind: Wind was a factor but not as much as people keep saying. 85% of the time it was fine; periodically gusts of wind would pick up which definitely affected a couple of throws, but even that was a tiny minority of throws. It doesn't explain nearly as much as people think
Overall CU came in with a good gameplan and executed it well. But with injuries, then a loss to targeting, then to being on the field because of the dink and dunk for 40 minutes, they got worn down and couldn't contain us - so we broke it open.

I also think if the officiating were reversed, we would [rightly] be chalking this up as another anti-WSU game. This is the first game this season where I feel like we were getting the SC treatment - and I loved it!

Reactions: Cougzz
Gardner had more overthrows today than I can recall seeing before. Having said that, our O line should get the Heisman. Unbelievable protection and time in the pocket. 5-6 seconds many, many times.

I was at the game and want to clear up a few things after reading them about 5x:
  • Weather: The weather was not "bad". It was sunny and in the 50s most of the day. No rain, no thunder, no freezing temps - great fall day
  • Altitude: I'm no physicist but I don't think altitude explains anything. It helps a 58-yard range kicker hit 60, but it's Boulder, not the MOON
  • Wind: Wind was a factor but not as much as people keep saying. 85% of the time it was fine; periodically gusts of wind would pick up which definitely affected a couple of throws, but even that was a tiny minority of throws. It doesn't explain nearly as much as people think
Overall CU came in with a good gameplan and executed it well. But with injuries, then a loss to targeting, then to being on the field because of the dink and dunk for 40 minutes, they got worn down and couldn't contain us - so we broke it open.

I also think if the officiating were reversed, we would [rightly] be chalking this up as another anti-WSU game. This is the first game this season where I feel like we were getting the SC treatment - and I loved it!
Well, none other than Brock Huard would disagree with your "periodic gusts of wind" characterization. He felt the QB's were greatly affected by the wind. I notice Montez was less than stellar as well.

Well, none other than Brock Huard would disagree with your "periodic gusts of wind" characterization. He felt the QB's were greatly affected by the wind. I notice Montez was less than stellar as well.
I heard Brock getting a little choked up about Minshew today when talking about the Heisman. Is that allowed?? It was messing with my head a little bit.

Well, far be it from me to challenge the sterling reputation of Husky Brock Huard, but I was essentially on the field (couple rows back) and he was in a windproof press box.

100% he would have noticed gusts of wind, but I had infant children with me out there who - believe me - would not have lasted 4 hours in anything other than "periodic gusts of wind".

The things I kept reading here and on Brand Y about the "bad weather" and the wind was a surprise to me, and would have been to the other thousands of people going about their business around me.

su
Not doubting your assessment, but which calls that went WSU's way were not justified? Replays seemed to show that corrected calls and replay booth reversals were correct. What SC treatment did we get?

Glad Cougar

su
Not doubting your assessment, but which calls that went WSU's way were not justified? Replays seemed to show that corrected calls and replay booth reversals were correct. What SC treatment did we get?

Glad Cougar

We weren’t getting SC treatment but we weren’t getting screwed.

Leach in his post game interview brought up the wind being a factor for “both” QB’s. He’s usually a “gotta fight through elements” guy, so I gotta assume he felt it was a contributing factor for him to bring it up & acknowledge it.

Well, far be it from me to challenge the sterling reputation of Husky Brock Huard, but I was essentially on the field (couple rows back) and he was in a windproof press box.

100% he would have noticed gusts of wind, but I had infant children with me out there who - believe me - would not have lasted 4 hours in anything other than "periodic gusts of wind".

The things I kept reading here and on Brand Y about the "bad weather" and the wind was a surprise to me, and would have been to the other thousands of people going about their business around me.

The whole world is talking about his season 4th qtr stats. He had a little too much on his throws in the first half....In his interview, he said he didn’t want to make any excuses, he should hit open receivers. Yes, he’s human. His 60% completetion percentage wasn’t far off from Will Grier or Tua. In fact Tua, was 14-21 1TD and 1int. If the Heisman is given to the most important player to a top 12 team, would Alabama skip a beat with Hurst at QB? Minshew is the most important player in college football and it isn’t even close.

The whole world is talking about his season 4th qtr stats. He had a little too much on his throws in the first half....In his interview, he said he didn’t want to make any excuses, he should hit open receivers. Yes, he’s human. His 60% completetion percentage wasn’t far off from Will Grier or Tua. In fact Tua, was 14-21 1TD and 1int. If the Heisman is given to the most important player to a top 12 team, would Alabama skip a beat with Hurst at QB? Minshew is the most important player in college football and it isn’t even close.

Glad you brought it up.

For everyone over critiquing the Minshew game, justify that with Tua having some all-world performance today. It did not happen. The way I look at it Minshew did not win the Heisman or an invite to the ceremony today but he sure as hell did not knock himself out of consideration either as the OP seems to be be implying.

Reactions: CrimsonDisciple
If the Heisman were given to the most important player to a team, he would win. But, it's given to the best stats on the best team. Who knows, but it's a long shot.

Yaki has a history of being a little bit of a Debbie Downer though. I have no doubt that had he been there to watch Jesus Christ walk on water he would post here that "Jesus can't swim".

Reactions: WisconsinCoug
I think he hasn’t done anything to diminish his stock. Tua’s stats weren’t that great today and he threw an Int.

I expect Georgia to give him problems.

As I said earlier the Apple Cup will be where Minshew separates himself.
Minshew ain’t gonna win. But he can get to New York. I don’t think today hurt or helped him. He didn’t go ohh but he had 3 TDS and Cougs dominated.

We weren’t getting SC treatment but we weren’t getting screwed.
yeah both the 4th down sideline throw to Patmon and the double pass were blatant PI that should have been flagged. The fact they didn’t call any BS PI calls on us though I can live with it.

Minshew ain’t gonna win. But he can get to New York. I don’t think today hurt or helped him. He didn’t go ohh but he had 3 TDS and Cougs dominated.

The last games of the year will separate people.

Tua will play Georgia
Murray and Grier play each other
Minshew plays UW.

Everybody plays a tough opponent with a signature win on the line.

If Minshew torches UW and Tua / the others falter or put on poor performances he will win it. He just will.

Well you may be entirely correct but it also is important to keep in mind that winds in stadiums are not the same everywhere. You can be sitting in one section and the winds can be fairly calm, but in another section the wind is strong and swirling. That's even the case on the field. But also,wind patterns can be different in a stadium even 20 feet up. You were a couple rows up but for the long passes in the middle of the field the ball still gets some elevation and could be more likely to be buffeted by the wind. So I'm sure the wind played a factor. Though I thought Minshew was sometimes a little more hesitant than usual which perhaps also played a role.

As to the thread topic. This game won't hurt him. He is going to NYC unless he completely craps the last 2 games. Will he win? Probably not, even though I think he should based on how much of an impact he has had on our season.

He threw for 335 & 2 and ran for 1.

Reactions: PatBaum and taf88
Well you may be entirely correct but it also is important to keep in mind that winds in stadiums are not the same everywhere. You can be sitting in one section and the winds can be fairly calm, but in another section the wind is strong and swirling. That's even the case on the field. But also,wind patterns can be different in a stadium even 20 feet up. You were a couple rows up but for the long passes in the middle of the field the ball still gets some elevation and could be more likely to be buffeted by the wind. So I'm sure the wind played a factor. Though I thought Minshew was sometimes a little more hesitant than usual which perhaps also played a role.

As to the thread topic. This game won't hurt him. He is going to NYC unless he completely craps the last 2 games. Will he win? Probably not, even though I think he should based on how much of an impact he has had on our season.

Wind at ground level / in the air above the stadium can be and typically is very different from what is observed in the stands.

Here’s a video showing c links wind dynamics.

Now here is the layout of the stadium in boulder.

2016_CU_Aerials_Athletics52GA.JPG

From the image you can see how wind depending on direction can seem different in the stands vs on the field.

So depending on the wind direction and the wind dynamics it definitely can effect the ball in the air as well as the thinness of the air (less friction)

Reactions: rity and ATACFD
Wind at ground level / in the air above the stadium can be and typically is very different from what is observed in the stands.

Here’s a video showing c links wind dynamics.

Now here is the layout of the stadium in boulder.

2016_CU_Aerials_Athletics52GA.JPG

From the image you can see how wind depending on direction can seem different in the stands vs on the field.

So depending on the wind direction and the wind dynamics it definitely can effect the ball in the air as well as the thinness of the air (less friction)
Nice try.

This video explains why wind might vary inside vs outside a stadium, as well as in pockets within the stadium depending on speed and direction. However, the Coug section had maximum wind exposure AND our guys were playing in every corner of the field for 3.5 hours so we were experiencing identical conditions much of the time AND we had it worse than the players more often than not. I was also mere feet above field level as I said, not way up “in the stands”

ANYONE ELSE WHO WATCHED THE GAME ON THEIR FLATSCREEN WANT TO TAKE A RUN AT THE GUY WHO WAS ACTUALLY THERE

Nice try.

This video explains why wind might vary inside vs outside a stadium, as well as in pockets within the stadium depending on speed and direction. However, the Coug section had maximum wind exposure AND our guys were playing in every corner of the field for 3.5 hours so we were experiencing identical conditions much of the time AND we had it worse than the players more often than not. I was also mere feet above field level as I said, not way up “in the stands”

ANYONE ELSE WHO WATCHED THE GAME ON THEIR FLATSCREEN WANT TO TAKE A RUN AT THE GUY WHO WAS ACTUALLY THERE

Well CML thought the wind affected both teams' passing but WTH does he know. Possibly it was a bit more gusty in the middle of the field than in the semi-protected stands. And maybe the thin air caused a few of his balls to float. Who knows.

But Gawdner still threw for 60% and 335 with 2 TD's, and no sacks or ints. So not as horrible a performance as some make it sound. And if the WR's had caught one or two of those catchable long balls it would have been 65% and closer to 400.

Nice try.

Physics is physics. Your frame of reference in the stands can and more than likely is not the same on the field or 10-20-30 yards in the air above the field.

Here’s a video on perspective regarding physics.

Physics is physics. Your frame of reference in the stands can and more than likely is not the same on the field or 10-20-30 yards in the air above the field.

Here’s a video on perspective regarding physics.

Let's level set here: saying "physics is physics" and posting YouTube videos you clearly didn't watch does not move this conversation forward.

I know it's asking a lot, but should anyone care to do the due diligence of reading my original post, you'll see:
chipdouglas said:
Wind was a factor but not as much as people keep saying
The wind affected a minority of throws. It did not change the outcome of the game. I ballparked that 15% of the game was gusts of wind. Not all occurred during throws. Fewer even than that affected throws.

Very strange that a small handful of people who watched the game on their Samsung are so committed to disputing my firsthand account of being at the game. Tron points out the remote possibility of a different experience on the field, against which I offer plenty evidence to the contrary, and somehow we have equal credibility in terms of what it was like for me to be there 8 feet off the field, sometimes sitting 20-30 feet from the action. Anybody ever heard of Occam's Razor or is it strictly Infowars people?

Let's level set here: saying "physics is physics" and posting YouTube videos you clearly didn't watch does not move this conversation forward.

I know it's asking a lot, but should anyone care to do the due diligence of reading my original post, you'll see:

The wind affected a minority of throws. It did not change the outcome of the game. I ballparked that 15% of the game was gusts of wind. Not all occurred during throws. Fewer even than that affected throws.

Very strange that a small handful of people who watched the game on their Samsung are so committed to disputing my firsthand account of being at the game. Tron points out the remote possibility of a different experience on the field, against which I offer plenty evidence to the contrary, and somehow we have equal credibility in terms of what it was like for me to be there 8 feet off the field, sometimes sitting 20-30 feet from the action. Anybody ever heard of Occam's Razor or is it strictly Infowars people?

It might have been a minority of throws, but the long ones did appear to get away from Gardner, as they did with Montez. And did anyone notice the referees' shirts? Gusts don't make them move all the time.

I think the win effected a small portion of the throws and I also think the receivers dropped balls too.

I did watch the videos. They provide insight on not only how wind moves through stadiums but also how your frame of reference can be different from those in motion. Like a ball moving through thin air and effected by wind dynamics in a stadium.

Yes you were there in the physical construction of the stadium.

Tell us all how many balls did you throw 20-30-40 yards sitting in the stands and what the wind measurements were.... oh that’s right you weren’t on the field and you didn’t try to throw any oblong balls 20-30 yards, but somehow...somehow... you magically know what was happening to passes that a QB who spends all his time throwing is not different from normal.

I think the win effected a small portion of the throws and I also think the receivers dropped balls too.

I did watch the videos. They provide insight on not only how wind moves through stadiums but also how your frame of reference can be different from those in motion. Like a ball moving through thin air and effected by wind dynamics in a stadium.

Yes you were there in the physical construction of the stadium.

Tell us all how many balls did you throw 20-30-40 yards sitting in the stands and what the wind measurements were.... oh that’s right you weren’t on the field and you didn’t try to throw any oblong balls 20-30 yards, but somehow...somehow... you magically know what was happening to passes that a QB who spends all his time throwing is not different from normal.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT