ADVERTISEMENT

Gueye back

Great. Think our front court is very strong with him coming back. Hoping Jackson has a breakout year. Now address the back court. If they can pull off a couple of good guards, 1 point and 1 shooter we're going to be good.

Hoping Jackson takes the next step as well. I thought he would make greater progress last year. We need him to stay healthy.

It’s been pretty quiet on other potential guards but things can happen quickly.

People can put the doom and gloom back in the closet WSU will be just fine! Have to wait and see how all the pieces fit together but I think there is a very good chance that we have improved ourselves in the off season again! Nice work coach and staff!!

Well the roster is now large enough to have a scrimmage, this a Powell is great news. After listening to Smith during the long interview a few weeks ago. He seemed to accept the whole portal and people leaving, but yet you could see he was confident he had answers. Nice work by the coaches

I'm not sure if this is a $ article on ESPN but quotes from both Gueye and Powell. Interesting, Powell considered "Perth Wildcats as part of the NBL Next Star program". Article also says Gueye was "heavily pursued by the likes of Arizona, UCLA, Florida, Mississippi State, USC, Marquette, Ole Miss and others."

1 spot left open. I don't think anyone had linked Powell to WSU before the announcement. I wonder if we are done. Probably never in this environment.

We didn't see him much but would like a guard like Jaylen Shead. Someone that could help if Rice isn't quite ready. I also think we still could use ball handling help. If that player could shoot better than Shead then all the better.

Reactions: cr8zyncalif
They were at loggerheads from day one. In the end Eastman essentially ran him. Eastman was lucky when he got Shamon Antrum at the last minute or it would have been a really long season.

Different 3 line but he shot 40% from 3 and averaged 6.9 assist/game along with 11 points as a sophomore (year 1 w/ Eastman). I remember Ellison having some rumored baggage and Sampson gave him a shot. Eastman ran him and that turned out well.

I really liked Antrum as well but thought they complimented each other.

This would be a bit of a departure from a Jaylen Shead type guard, but David Jenkins Jr. is still out there. We offered when he went to UNLV but did not offer the last time around. No idea with all the transferring if he needs to sit year. No idea if there would be any interest and his production has dropped at each stop.

Last edited:
They were at loggerheads from day one. In the end Eastman essentially ran him. Eastman was lucky when he got Shamon Antrum at the last minute or it would have been a really long season.
Actually the AD ran him and forced Eastman to do it. You're right on Antrum.

OMG, Jenkins is the worst defender I have ever seen.
That's my bit of departure. Wouldn't be my first choice but he's still out there. My bet is he goes mid-major. Seattle U? If he would accept a backup role, I could see a potential fit but when we did not seem to contact the last time around that was telling.

With Gueye back to join Jackson and the two newcomers the Coug frontline looks extremely strong. We also have about 5 guys who can shoot the three. Still not sure who the point guard is but this is a pretty promising group.

Wow, amazing, wanted, need a 6-5 that can play PG, pass well, lots of Assist, shoots 3 well(44%), can play all 3 of the 1,2,3 guards/wing spots, rebounds well, did well at NCAA Tourny teams Auburn, Tennessee.

About the only thing lacking for now is defense, but I bet that Smith and staff can help him improve his defense.

3 year eligibility.

That and Gueye back is Amazing, awesome.

Was going to say Smith miraculously pulled rabbit out of hat, but I am beginning to think that Smith can replace, reload whatever lost, regardless of what, how many lost to graduation, NBA, NIL, Transfer Portal, etc.

What a lineup.

Backcourt.

1. Rice, and if he is not ready to go, Justin Powell will be. And Dylan either deep back up or redshirting 2. Bamba, And Justin Powell, and Jabe Mullins. And Dylan either a deep back up or redshirt. 3. Rodman/Powell as primary options. Also Jaki and Jabe Mullins, maybe even Rosario.

Front Court. 5. Jackson and Diongue or Crespin 4. Gueye and Jaki or Crespin. Jaki can also play the 3. And Crespin can back up at both 5,4, wherever can get playing time.

And to think WSU/Smith has another scholly.

This WSU team should be able to either NIT elite 8 to 2nd round elimination in NCAA Tourny.

Win about 17,18,19,20,21,22 wins. 3rd,4th,5th,6th,7th in conference, 1,2 Pac 12 tourny wins.

Team might semi struggle early to semi mid season to start of Pac 12 season, due to what was lost, replaced, reloaded, new faces, maybe lack of jelling, chemistry and maybe having to learn to play, win together, BUT at worst, like last season, team will, would come around gradually, eventually, at worst to at worst make be a 1st round NIT elimination at worst.

Reactions: cr8zyncalif
I didn't think Gueye was coming back. Glad I was wrong. Gueye coming back surprised me.

Bamba and Smith's efforts to rerecruit him paid off.

The ESPN article said that POWELL was considered a NBA draft prospect while at Auburn.

WSU has 1 clear NBA player prospect in Gueye.

As the top 43rd best recruit in the entire country, Diongue is probably a future NBA prospect that will probably be drafted after either of his Junior/Senior year

Jackson is a longshot to develop into a NBA prospect.

And since only scored about 4 ppg at Tennessee, albeit because of injury, Powell is a ultimate extreme Longshot to make the NBA Prospect list.

Still a awesome roster, and still have 1 scholly spot to get even better.

Would still be nice if WSU can get a 5-11,6-0,6-1, etc, ball handler, assist passer, scorer, driver, good shooter, good defense, as alternative to Rice.

IMO if Rice is as ready as reports indicate he is Powell might start at the 2 and push Bamba to the 3. Definitely some nice possibilities. Powell at the 1 Bamba at the 2 Rodman at the 3. That’s not even considering Jabe Mullins who came out of high school ranked as high or higher than all of them. Nice problems to have!! Way to go staff!!

Reactions: Coug4life34
IMO if Rice is as ready as reports indicate he is Powell might start at the 2 and push Bamba to the 3. Definitely some nice possibilities. Powell at the 1 Bamba at the 2 Rodman at the 3. That’s not even considering Jabe Mullins who came out of high school ranked as high or higher than all of them. Nice problems to have!! Way to go staff!!

Bamba is too good defensively to go with his athleticism, his speed, quickness, his ability to drive, create his own shot, shoot 3's, pass, etc.

While Powell is a greater threat at the 3 ball, and a better passer, assist machine, he only scored 4 ppg at Tenn, and his defense is not good.

Better to have Powell at the 3 spot,where he can defensively guard most wings(Wings are easier to guard then SG's, because you don't have to have as good as lateral quickness, etc, as you do with SG's, PG's).

When Bamba is not in, then move Powell to SG. When Rice not in Move Powell to PG. But when Bamba, Rice in then Powell play at the 3 spot.

If Rice is not ready, then Powell at the PG. But if Rice is ready, then Powell, platoons, co starts, shares, etc, the 3 spot with Rodman, depending on situation.

Having Powell, let's WSU have a great guard rotation of Rice as the PG, Bamba as the SG, Powell at the 3 spot, with Jabe Mullins as primary back up to 2,3 spots, and Powell backing up everywhere at all the guard spots IF Rodman is starting at the 3, and if Rice is the starting PG.

While Jabe might have been the bigger recruit at the time he was coming out of highschool, he was not doing well enough in college, to justify being a starter over Bamba, and Powell.

Even tho Powell only averaged 4 ppg, at Tenn, he averaged 11 ppg as a freshman on a NCAA tournament Auburn team, and his 4 ppg at Tenn, was because of a injury, injuries. And Powell was projected as a NBA draft prospect after his 11 ppg at Auburn, but before his 4 ppg at Tenn. So Jabe is probably not better then Powell.

So a great 4 guards, guard rotation, guard Corp.

Hopefully Smith uses the last scholly to get a 5-11.5, 6-0,6-1, etc, fast, speedy, quick, athletic, good lateral quickness, explosive first step, wicked crossover, can breakdown, juke, shifty, drive, slash, penetrate, ball handler, dish, pass, gets assist, good freethrow shooter, draws fouls, shoots good floaters, tear droppers, runners, midrange jump shots, great 3 point shooters, awesome defense, is ready to do all those things, ready to start if Rice not ready, or even push Rice, start over Rice. In other words a Allen Iverson, Benny Seltzer, Dominic Ellison, Neil Derek, etc, type, skill, athleticism, talent, etc, wise.

Bamba is too good defensively to go with his athleticism, his speed, quickness, his ability to drive, create his own shot, shoot 3's, pass, etc.

While Powell is a greater threat at the 3 ball, and a better passer, assist machine, he only scored 4 ppg at Tenn, and his defense is not good.

Better to have Powell at the 3 spot,where he can defensively guard most wings(Wings are easier to guard then SG's, because you don't have to have as good as lateral quickness, etc, as you do with SG's, PG's).

When Bamba is not in, then move Powell to SG. When Rice not in Move Powell to PG. But when Bamba, Rice in then Powell play at the 3 spot.

If Rice is not ready, then Powell at the PG. But if Rice is ready, then Powell, platoons, co starts, shares, etc, the 3 spot with Rodman, depending on situation.

Having Powell, let's WSU have a great guard rotation of Rice as the PG, Bamba as the SG, Powell at the 3 spot, with Jabe Mullins as primary back up to 2,3 spots, and Powell backing up everywhere at all the guard spots IF Rodman is starting at the 3, and if Rice is the starting PG.

While Jabe might have been the bigger recruit at the time he was coming out of highschool, he was not doing well enough in college, to justify being a starter over Bamba, and Powell.

Even tho Powell only averaged 4 ppg, at Tenn, he averaged 11 ppg as a freshman on a NCAA tournament Auburn team, and his 4 ppg at Tenn, was because of a injury, injuries. And Powell was projected as a NBA draft prospect after his 11 ppg at Auburn, but before his 4 ppg at Tenn. So Jabe is probably not better then Powell.

So a great 4 guards, guard rotation, guard Corp.

Hopefully Smith uses the last scholly to get a 5-11.5, 6-0,6-1, etc, fast, speedy, quick, athletic, good lateral quickness, explosive first step, wicked crossover, can breakdown, juke, shifty, drive, slash, penetrate, ball handler, dish, pass, gets assist, good freethrow shooter, draws fouls, shoots good floaters, tear droppers, runners, midrange jump shots, great 3 point shooters, awesome defense, is ready to do all those things, ready to start if Rice not ready, or even push Rice, start over Rice. In other words a Allen Iverson, Benny Seltzer, Dominic Ellison, Neil Derek, etc, type, skill, athleticism, talent, etc, wise.
More then likely they would just cross match.. My guess is that Powell came to WSU to boost his status as a PG. He and rice will likely form a tandem offensively with Rice guarding the smaller quicker PG’s on defense..

More then likely they would just cross match.. My guess is that Powell came to WSU to boost his status as a PG. He and rice will likely form a tandem offensively with Rice guarding the smaller quicker PG’s on defense..

Powell is a 6-5.5 to 6-6(depending on the news source), HYBRID, COMBO 3,2,1, WING PG, kind of like there are Point passing power forwards, like Magic Johnson, Lebron James, Guy Williams that are ASSIST MACHINES.

He is not, won't be a traditional PG, at the college level, and for WSU.

He is a PG WING on the Wing. That's his role. He will Drive, slash, penetrate, beat off the dribble, blow by, get to the basket on slower 3's that won't be able to guard him as well as a SG, PG would. And if they put a smaller PG, SG on him, then he will post up in the high post on smaller defenders. So he will drive and dish and shoot 3's and defend wings, etc, a lot.

And he will defend the other wings, 3 spot players. That's his Proto, traditional role.

A lot of credit here has to go to Smith and the coaches. Just a few weeks ago the basketball team was down to 7 scholarship players, DJ, Rosario, Rice, Jackson, Jaki, Bamba, and Rice a good group, but not enough for even a scrimmage. Gone are Flowers through graduation, the transfer portal 6 more, Williams, Roberts Efe, Mo, Rapp, and Jefferson ( although he was long gone). So total of 7 that gone, 6 of which you had hoped to help you next year. And here we are a month or so later and we have add Darling, Crespin, and Diongue, get Mo back, and have 2 solid transfers in Powell and Mullins, so 6 are added back, and room for one more. Not sure how it will all work out but on paper this team is a lot deeper than last years team. So a huge credit to Smith and the rest of the coaches, now it's a matter of putting all the pieces together for next year.

Last edited:
I'm not sure there are very many teams currently employing the traditional PG. Most are using a combo guard with good ball handling skills to bring the ball up, set up the plays, etc.. (In some cases, point forwards are now being used.) Last year, the Cougars didn't have a traditional PG either. That might have been a problem, perhaps, but it won't be surprising if Smith mixes and matches his way in the backcourt by using Bamba, Powell, and Rice in various combinations. I like the idea of positional flexibility.

Glad Cougar

I agree not sure there really are many if any true point guards anymore. At Auburn Powell was probably as close as they come. He can play the 2 and even some 3 but in general he is a PG or what passes as one these days. Watched a couple of full games on the internet yesterday and if we get the Auburn version of Powell he will be a starter, but he has had injury issues so not sure that guy is still a possibility. The Auburn version could drive and get inside the defense better than Bamba who really hasn’t shown much of that yet. I do feel Bamba can finish at the rim fine but his ball handling is still a work in progress which limits his ability to drive and create his own shot.

I'm not sure there are very many teams currently employing the traditional PG. Most are using a combo guard with good ball handling skills to bring the ball up, set up the plays, etc.. (In some cases, point forwards are now being used.) Last year, the Cougars didn't have a traditional PG either. That might have been a problem, perhaps, but it won't be surprising if Smith mixes and matches his way in the backcourt by using Bamba, Powell, and Rice in various combinations. I like the idea of positional flexibility.

Glad Cougar

When I said traditional PG's and non traditional PG's like point power forwards, I meant that a traditional PG to me covers both tradition pure PG's, and combo guards that are both a SG, PG, that play as a traditional PG, next to a SG, and a 3 spot Wing, PF, Center.

There is a difference between that and a Point Wing, Point Power forward.

Flowers, Tyrell Roberts, etc, are your semi typical combo PG/SG. There is a difference between a semi traditional combo PG/SG, like Flowers and a point Wing, like a Powell.

Powell does not play a semi traditional PG/SG, like a Flowers,Rice, does.

So it will be Rice as the Semi traditional PG, 1 spot, if he is ready, and Powell as the Point Wing, that is what I meant.

I look at some of what we've done (and others have done) from the perspective of having a dual PG set. Sure, some would say that if you have two guys playing point then you don't really have a PG, but I think that is a matter of perspective & execution. I don't get all hung up on the definitions. Most college teams that I see have a ball handler/play initiator who is not a great outside shooter, and their best shooting guard then plays some variation of an off guard in order to make it possible to get a few more open looks. However, if both of your "guards" are good ball handlers and passers, and both can shoot, then to me the logical way to go is to use both to run the offense and adjust to what the defenders on those two guys are capable of doing. If by chance both guards can also penetrate, then I think you are penalizing yourself by putting one into a "1" box and the other into a "2" box.

No head coach is perfect. None of us is perfect. But I like the combination of strategist/tactician/ recruiter/ father confessor that we got in coach Smith. He seems like a mature, stable individual that can laugh & have fun at the right moments. There is no question at this point but that he managed to reload, rather than rebuild. That is the mark of someone who is thinking several steps ahead, and has the talent to execute that planning.

We are in good hands.

Reactions: mikalalas
I agree not sure there really are many if any true point guards anymore. At Auburn Powell was probably as close as they come. He can play the 2 and even some 3 but in general he is a PG or what passes as one these days. Watched a couple of full games on the internet yesterday and if we get the Auburn version of Powell he will be a starter, but he has had injury issues so not sure that guy is still a possibility. The Auburn version could drive and get inside the defense better than Bamba who really hasn’t shown much of that yet. I do feel Bamba can finish at the rim fine but his ball handling is still a work in progress which limits his ability to drive and create his own shot.

Disagree in that Powell will probably not play the 1 spot, PG spot, next to the 2 spot, SG, Rodman at 3 spot, etc.

It will be Rice at the 1 spot, PG, if he is ready, Bamba at the 2 spot, SG, and 6-6 Powell at the 3 wing Point spot, putting 2 point guards on the floor.

If Rice not ready, THEN Powell would play the 1 spot, PG spot.

Powell can blow by 3 spot wings and some, few SG's, and rarely blows by 1 spot, PG's.

Bamba is faster, quicker, speedier, a more explosive first step, way more athleticism.

There was about 3 to 6 to 9 highlight reel specials, where Bamba easily exploded past a SG, PG guarding him, and exploded to the rim for a dunk and or lay up.

His freshman season, and early last season, his Sophmore season, his ball handling wasn't as good. But it has gotten better.

Also one doesn't have to be a good ball handler to slash to the rim for a lay up, dunk.

It takes only 2 dribbles, long strides to go from 3 point line to lay up, dunk. You just have to be laterally quicker, more explosive first step, maybe a good crossover, etc, to beat a defender off the dribble, blow by, get a lay up, dunk.

You don't have to be a good ball handler to do that.

And the reason why Bamba didn't do it more, wasn't that he supposedly wasn't able. He had to learn how to do so at a faster, more athletic game, then he was used to, and then he had to get MORE ASSERTIVE, AGGRESSIVE, TRY TO GOTO BASKET MORE, instead of just taking 3's, etc.

Over the long term, semi now, an or in the future, either Bamba either is, or will be better at blowing by defenders getting to basket.

It's kind of like if you were able to put Powell in a time machine back to Michael Jordan's varsity year(not his senior year), after his JV year(Yes Jordan was JV for his freshman, Sophmore year).

Back then Jordan's ball handling wasn't that good. And he wasn't good at blowing by defenders, as that's why he was JV, then varsity. Back then Powell would have been better at ball handling, blowing by, but even back then Jordan would have better potential, more athleticism, etc.

Now Bamba is likely NOT a future Jordan, but the example applies, Bamba is more athletic, faster, etc, better at blowing by, or will be better at blowing by defenders then Powell in near future, etc.

So Bamba is a Better SG, etc.

Bamba is a very explosive athlete but imo he has yet to show the ability to drive consistently from the wing. He just doesn’t seem to have a great first step which can be technique and hopefully he has improved on that, he also as of yet has not been able to break down defenders with the dribble (which Smith loves). It all really depends which version of Powell we get but according to him he came to WSU because of the offense and the opportunity to have the ball back in his hands.

Bamba is a very explosive athlete but imo he has yet to show the ability to drive consistently from the wing. He just doesn’t seem to have a great first step which can be technique and hopefully he has improved on that, he also as of yet has not been able to break down defenders with the dribble (which Smith loves).
Bamba can drive to the bucket but he hasn't shown the ability to finish consistently or to kick it out to an open shooter. Watching the Celtics last night that is what they were doing--drive to the bucket and either finish at the rim or kick it out to an open shooter.

Glad Cougar
This was my idea as well. To think he will play a small forward role just doesn’t make sense in my mind… I’m not sure how much Bamba will initiate offense but Powell seems to fulfill the role that everyone wanted so badly for the previous unmentioned player to fulfill

Bamba is a very explosive athlete but imo he has yet to show the ability to drive consistently from the wing. He just doesn’t seem to have a great first step which can be technique and hopefully he has improved on that, he also as of yet has not been able to break down defenders with the dribble (which Smith loves). It all really depends which version of Powell we get but according to him he came to WSU because of the offense and the opportunity to have the ball back in his hands.

Bamba had 2 drive dunks in the NIT, against some pretty good defenders.

He does have a semi ok, semi good, semi explosive first step. He can blow by defenders and finish at the rim, and can make some awesome kick outs as he did so in a highlight reel, where he drived and kicked it out for a open 3 and dished for a big man dunk in another highlight.

You just don't remember these highlights, and you just don't get that later in the season, end of conference play, an in post season, that Bamba created his own shot better, drived and dunked better, passed better, shot the 3 better, etc.

You only selectively remember Bamba as a freshman, an or early noncon Sophmore play, etc.

Bamba's problem(and Rodman's problem as well according to Smith and others is that Bamba and Rodman weren't consistent enough, and weren't assertive, agressive enough)

Some players, altho they get charge fouls called on them, are at least assertive, aggressive.

Not saying that Bamba and Rodman need to get more charging calls on them, but they do need to be more assertive, aggressive in going to the basket, trying to blow by defenders to then finish at the rim, or kick out, even if it were to mean the occasional, uncommon, rare, etc, charging foul called on them.

That's Bamba's problem that he is not consistent and aggressive enough.

But he is talented, athletic, skilled, etc, enough to blow by defenders, drive and dunk, drive and kick out, etc, IF he puts his mind, and some aggressiveness to it, etc.

This was my idea as well. To think he will play a small forward role just doesn’t make sense in my mind… I’m not sure how much Bamba will initiate offense but Powell seems to fulfill the role that everyone wanted so badly for the previous unmentioned player to fulfill

Powell's role will, should be as either a 3 wing PG, or SG that plays PG as a 2 SG.

Powell can be, is a NIGHTMARE for 3's to guard, and he can beat some SG's off the dribble, in addition how he beats almost all 3's off the dribble.

He doesn't beat your typical 6-1.5 PG's, SG/PG, combo guards that often.

He is a NIGHTMARE MISMATCH, as he beats 3's, then either finishes at rim, or kicks it out for a open 3, or dishes to a big man cut, give and go, post up, dunk, etc.

And if opposing team, coaches try to put a 6-1.5 guy on him to lock down him on the perimeter, then he post them up at the high post near the freethrow line, and then runs the point option from there to either do spins, fall away jumpers, shooting, scoring over the short guards, forcing the double team, kicking it out to open 3, dishing to the big.

He can, will, should do that from the 3 spot, 2 spot, but not from the 1 spot that Rice will play if he is ready.

With Rice at the 1, PG, 2. Bamba, 3. Powell, you have 2 PG's on the floor, and a offense, filled with MISMATCHES, that is going to be NIGHTMARISH to stop.

If you go with these line ups instead: 1. Powell, 2. Rice, 3. Bamba or 1. Rice, 2. Powell, 3. Bamba, it's just not going to be as effective as 1. Rice, 2. Bamba, 3. Powell, altho 1. Rice, 2. Powell, 3. Bamba, is ok.

But 1. Powell, 2. Rice, 3. Bamba is not as good.

The problem with that is Powell has to go up against lockdown defense 1,2 guards, which is usually harder then 3 wings, who are usually not lockdown defenders against 1,2 SG's and PG's, as they usually lockdown other 3 spot wings.

But Powell is a NIGHTMARE MISMATCH on 3 spot wings, and post up guards like Tyrell, Flowers, etc.

And that's on offense, on defense, Powell is horrible at defending 1,2 PG's and SG's and only defends 3 spot Wings ok.

If you have a line up of 1. Powell, 2. Rice or other, 3. Bamba, Powell will get TORCHED on Defense, by small guards, PG's, SG's, etc, blowing by him all day.

It's just best to put 1. Rice or other, 2. Bamba, 3. Powell(as either a primary, dual, secondary PG, handling the rock, and being a NIGHTMARE for 3's, wings, posting up small guards, defending 3 spot wings, and occasionally 2 spot SG's, and avoiding defending PG's unless, until have to on a situation where other team forces a situation where he has to defend a PG.

That's the best way, and what should be done, and if done that way, Powell, and offense will be a NIGHTMARE for other team's(Assuming Powell has recovered physically, mentally, etc, from his injuries enough, and if he is given the chance to knock some rust off, practice, play, develop more, etc.)

Very lengthy tirade discussing Powell and Rice and their talents and roles on the team considering you have not seen either of them play. Again it depends what Powell we get, the freshmen Powell will probably be our point guard. It’s what he is coming here to compete for, whether he wins the job or not is yet to be seen. He was a top 100 player coming out of high school and got off to a great start at Auburn in the SEC before his issues. He didn’t get to far into the SEC regular season. He had a solid stat line against gonzaga and looked like a world beater against Memphis both game are on line. I’m pretty sure he didn’t come clear across the country in hopes of playing the 3 considering he has always been a PG or combo guard. I have high hopes for Rice but he wasn’t ranked as high as Powell coming out of high school. He has had a year in the system so will be farther along than a true freshmen but still hasn’t played a game of college basketball and was redshirted last year which would lead one to think he would have sat down the bench always.

Last edited:
Bamba can drive to the bucket but he hasn't shown the ability to finish consistently or to kick it out to an open shooter. Watching the Celtics last night that is what they were doing--drive to the bucket and either finish at the rim or kick it out to an open shooter.
This is a good observation.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT